unsticky this

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

EDIT 12/2015 - Please note that this post is was ancient! Prehistoric! From a long foregone age before dinosaurs roamed the earth! :party:
Last edited by .jon on Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:33 am, edited 6 times in total.

Hey, great list pakana! :) Wish this had existed when I was serching for monitors just recently...or maybe it would've just added to my confusion :hihi:
"Music is native to the human mind. There is not a culture on Earth that does not have it, and our brains are wired to apprehend and be moved by its magic." - National Geographic, March 2005

*bookmarks*

Thanks! :)

hay great job Pakana..... :hyper:

There are at least a couple of incorrect listings. You have Roland DM-20's in your "tiny little ones" and Edirol MA-10's in your "Somewhat Bigger" class when the MA-10's are half the size of the DM-20's.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Great work, pakana.

One update, not to your list but to the May 2001 SoS review of the B2031: In the current model, B2031A, Behringer now includes individually plotted response curves in each monitor's info packet. The article indicates that when it was written, they didn't.

This would be great as a sticky? There is so much information here that everyone passing through could use.

I for one am looking to buy some monitors and to have links to all the reviews in one place is saving me a lot of time already!

Cheers Pakana!

Thanks for the comments, guys, and especially Bones - I think I fixed it.

I made this list to help myself in choosing monitors, as I spent too much time googling for the same stuff over & over again. Finally I decided to buy a laptop and keep mixing with cans instead... just because here are only 3 models on that list that I can audition myself :(

Good stuff! I'm in the low end monitor market at the moment so it's useful.

I also vote to make this a sticky.

Secondly, I think it would be an even better thread if everyone who reads this who does/has use/d any of the monitors listed could report their findings, especially things that aren't so good with them, things that are particularly good about them, also in relation to others thay have used/use. I think that would further warrant it being sticky-ed!

Cheers
Jim

Hunter wrote:Good stuff! I'm in the low end monitor market at the moment so it's useful.
I also vote to make this a sticky.
good idea ... done ...
Hunter wrote:Secondly, I think it would be an even better thread if everyone who reads this who does/has use/d any of the monitors listed could report their findings, especially things that aren't so good with them, things that are particularly good about them, also in relation to others thay have used/use. I think that would further warrant it being sticky-ed!
agreed ...

slainte 8) rob

You should add the new tiny Genelec 8020a's which are possibly just within your range:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/8020A

Ok, here are my impressions of the Middle Class KRK RP-6s...

Very clear!! I could hear everything I expected to throughout the frequency range. The bass was probably a little lacking, but there was certainly enough there to work with. I daresay a little tweaking of the monitor's position may boost that a little. Overall, they are very forward and crisp. Some people may describe them as harsh, but I don't believe so. Aren't monitors supposed to reproduce the sound accurately, not colour it like hi-fi speakers? If thats true, then the RP-6's definitely sound like monitors! Spatial imaging is excellent - it was easy to know where I was.

Once I got them home and used them for a little while, I did find them a little fatiguing to listen to ( a product of how 'forward' they are). I don't need to monitor loud, so I don't see this a problem. Anyway, I think I'll get used to the sound after a little while and it shouldn't bother me.

All up, it was the clarity of the RP-6's that I liked the most - I could hear what I was listening to! They certainly appear to be very well made and, what the hell, they look great too Wink

http://www.krksys.com/v3/rokit_rp6.asp

I paid A$700 (about US$540 or 440 Euros) and I reckon thats great value for money.
"Music is native to the human mind. There is not a culture on Earth that does not have it, and our brains are wired to apprehend and be moved by its magic." - National Geographic, March 2005

I wish they were, but the mini-Genelec's are about the first monitors out of this price range - they go here for 660 EUR. Top little things, huge sound and they come in nice clean white as well. They need a sub, however, and the Genelec subs cost all the arms & legs of a mid-sized metropolis.

Yep, this would be a great place to add your own review!

pakana wrote:Yep, this would be a great place to add your own review!
I have 8030a's I'm afraid - I toyed with getting the smaller ones but the store offered me a cut down price that wasn't much more than the 8020's anyway so how could I refuse :)

pakana wrote:I wish they were, but the mini-Genelec's are about the first monitors out of this price range - they go here for 660 EUR. Top little things, huge sound and they come in nice clean white as well. They need a sub, however, and the Genelec subs cost all the arms & legs of a mid-sized metropolis.

Yep, this would be a great place to add your own review!

£235.99 from Turnkey here in the UK. Last I checked UK is part of Europe is it not :-?

http://www.turnkey.co.uk/tkweb/stockdet ... ontext=WEB

EDIT: Ignore me. I can't read where it says each ;) /EDIT (why no strikethrough bcc tag?)

They are doing Alesis M1 Mk2s for well under half price as well, at £219.99

This is getting tempting. I do really need to get some NFMs if I'm going to get propperly into writing tunes, as I'm trying to concentrate on it a little again after years....

Anybody know when it is that Turnkey do their (twice?) yearly sale when everything is dirt cheap down at the shop in london?

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”