Neodynium vs other multi compressors HELP PLZ!!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As a mastering newbi I'm trying to figure out what is the best multi compressor plug I should buy.. I'm a dance/electronica producer and need to be able to master/mixdown out my own stuff for commercial use. I've been having major problems getting the following at the mastering stage: pumping kicks, ducking, baseline blending and stereo image. I've been looking at some multi band/zone compressors and was wondering if anyone had any experience with Elemetal Audio's Neodynium.. ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED AS MY ASS IS ON LINE HERE...

THX

c

Neodynium is alot different from other compressors in that its not a multi-band compressor, but rather a multi-zone compressor. That means, you define certain volume ranges upon which it acts instead of frequency ranges. Very different.

Maybe you should post a track here that you've had problems with, and we'll help you further. Well, not me, but others that know their stuff better than I :D

arke thnks for the rep.. I will try to get an example uploaded...

c

arke plus I've been reading the neodynium user manual and figured that it would help in my situation... I just dont understand why theres not a way to just measure out my sound so that I can manipluate the right freq's/velocity ranges..

c

If it's an EQ problem, then Neodynium might not be the one for you. you need a traditional frequency-based multiband-compressor.

Sounds like you're looking for Soniformer, Neo is the best when it comes to layering.
Black text on a white canvas, do racist people close their eyes when they read a book?

It might be a case of going back to your mix and re-adjusting elements, in particular if the kick is causing dipping levels.

I'd like to add here that Pumping Kicks, Ducking Basslines are NOT created at the mastering stage, at all. You really need to learn to mix these. Ducking bass line you get by feeding the kick into the bass line compressor's sidechain. This will 'duck' the bass every time the kick hits. Then route both the kick and bass to a sub group and add some rather heavy compression. This can give you the pumping kick/bass relationship (provided that your 'ducking' of the bass line was a success).

- bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Opps, missed that he wanted to do that, good rebound!
Black text on a white canvas, do racist people close their eyes when they read a book?

Thanxs every1 4 the hlpfl suggestions... After a couple of hours of messing around with my board and my dbx on the insert I was finally able to get the sound I was looking for.. whew.. wont get dropped from the lable after all..

c

Sooo... Its been almost ten years. :wheee:

Is there anything else that has come out since that works like this db 'zone' concept Neodynium has?

Im thinking about that 'range' knob in Pro-MB, off the top of my head, but I dont know if that is doing what I think.

If you arent familiar;

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2004/ ... ompressor/
Synthopia wrote: Neodynium has the ability to affect distinct, user specified level
ranges. Not to be confused with multi-band compression, this
flexibility means users can hone in on sounds and audio at different
levels and expand and/or compress each separately. Because Neodynium
treats each targeted range of levels as a virtually independent
compression region, compression effects can range from muted to the
complete alteration of the sonic character.
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Effects”