Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New What is KVR? Submit News Advertise
Fuzzpilz
KVRist

250 posts since 17 Jun, 2004, from Magdeburg

Postby Fuzzpilz; Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:55 pm Oatmeal (mediocre free VSTi) - 37-4 (fixed Renoise problem)

Hello.

I've been sitting on this long enough, and it's not really going to get much better:

The name says it all - it's a fairly generic thing, mostly written because I wanted to mess with VST development and such, having mostly kept to Buzz only before; my next VSTi, if/when it happens, will be better or at least more interesting.

As the screenshot should tell you, it's your basic 2-osc subtractive synth deal, with things and stuff. It comes with some documentation and a few rather simple presets; there's also a random patch generator that at least works better than just setting each parameter to a random value.

Download. Nothing special needs to be done, just unzip it into your VST plugin directory (with subdirs).

Comments? Opinions? Serious bugs I've missed?
Last edited by Fuzzpilz on Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:26 pm, edited 19 times in total.
SampleScience
KVRAF

3583 posts since 31 Oct, 2004, from Mtl, Canada

Postby SampleScience; Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:03 pm

I like the pixelart minimal interface.
odo
KVRAF

3380 posts since 1 Sep, 2002

Postby odo; Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:06 pm

tried it and its good :)
odo
Make Your Voice Heard!!
EUROPEAN VAPERS PROTEST 29th 2.00PM.It saved my life.
apropos
KVRist

180 posts since 28 Feb, 2005

Postby apropos; Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:13 pm

odo wrote:tried it and its good :)
odo

Just tried it a little bit...
First impressions: I love it.
I also like the fact that you're not over-hyping it. I expected a little and found it to be really nice. The colors are not exactly fruity, but they suit the name well. ;)
There are a lot of knobs and possibilities to try out, but for now, just going through the presets, I'd say it's among the better free synths I've downloaded from KvR.
(Of course, you're in that short list too, oDo!)
Reverse Engineer
KVRAF

5013 posts since 22 Sep, 2003, from Glasgow

Postby Reverse Engineer; Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:17 pm

Mr brain melted the second i noticed all the parameters to tweak, but recovered somewhat with the mention of randomising....back in a minute with more words.

Edit : Ok, you have used the best random algorithm (if that's what the term is? :P ) i have ever came across. at least 9/10 are completely useable...ok, playing with it as i type....lets make that 99/100 are useable. Not only that, they sound great. Wow, work on a new GUI and you'll have a winner for sure. If sound is all that matters, then it's a winner already. What a great gift. :tu:

Edit 2: Wowwowowowowowowowowowowowow, i really have NOT been this excited about a synth before, free or otherwise. Screw the GUI, that doesn't even matter anymore. I'd easily pay for this, easily.

What's with all the crazy questions that keep popping up though? :lol:
Last edited by Reverse Engineer on Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The Chase
KVRAF

10466 posts since 12 Jun, 2004, from Alberto Balsam

Postby The Chase; Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:18 pm

You call that mediocre!? it's awesome, mate!
rokkon
KVRian

509 posts since 2 Aug, 2002, from berlin

Postby rokkon; Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:28 pm

i like it, has a nice cold digital sound in a warm way. And the randomizer produces quite usable sounds.. plus cool patchnames.. Buddha vs. Murdertree.. rocketlobster.. kicking a bishop.. :lol:
GUI could be bigger for my taste.
Fuzzpilz
KVRist

Postby Fuzzpilz; Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:36 pm

I'm glad people like it. If it seems in any way special, though, I've failed my mission. ;) I deliberately set out not to do anything too interesting in it, since I wanted to get to know VST magic and the mistakes it's likely to cause me to make better before I did that.

Reverse Engineer wrote:What's with all the crazy questions that keep popping up though? :lol:

They shouldn't pop up all that often... something like once every 100 random patches, maybe, or every 50 at most (can't give a precise figure because of the way the patch generator works - basically, every time it has to make some decision, there's a tiny chance it'll ask the user instead of choosing randomly, though the questions it uses aren't very informative).
sinkmusic
KVRAF

6008 posts since 28 Apr, 2004, from france

Postby sinkmusic; Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:41 pm

It is a nice gui, with a synth bundled of features. Most of the synths do not have so many things.
THe only problem i can have is that i can not really read the parameters : the gui is so small ! the knobs, the text are really small,so it is a bit difficult to read...
If you call that mediocre, many synths can get called mediocre too, and i'm quite impatient to see your next stuff !
It has really incredible things : low on cpu, with a XYZ pad, midi learn, very good overall organisation, sooo many features (arp, efx, nice waves...), but.... WHere is the common ADSR ??? I was trying to make my own sound using your presets, and there are so many knobs i could not even find the way to make the sound last longer !!! ;)
Last edited by sinkmusic on Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elv
KVRian

1180 posts since 27 Mar, 2002, from Iceland

Postby elv; Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:43 pm

Yeah great synth, nothing medicore about it.It is one of the best synth I have tried for awhile.
Simple and repetive are my middle names
spacefox
KVRAF

1775 posts since 13 Mar, 2003, from Israel

Postby spacefox; Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:48 pm

Fuzzpilz wrote:mediocre

:nutter:

*goes back to play with this impressive plugin*
CubaseStudio4 µTonic/Rapture Nitro/GS-201/Ohmicide/TBK 1&3
Fuzzpilz
KVRist

Postby Fuzzpilz; Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:48 pm

sinkmusic wrote:WHere is the common ADSR ???

Between the filter and distortion blocks.
scuzzphut
KVRAF

3761 posts since 16 Apr, 2002, from Scotland

Postby scuzzphut; Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:49 pm

has anyone noticed the oscillator waveform editor yet :-o
this is a truly feature-packed beastie !!
great work, Fuzz :-)
Debutante
KVRAF

2807 posts since 15 Jan, 2005, from Ottawa, Ontario

Postby Debutante; Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:56 pm

So MR. Fuzzpils finally shows up in VST land. I am a bi fan of your BUZZ work and I'm really excited at the prospect of you going into vst. Will give this a try and report back with comments/problems (if any). Nice one!
uselessmind
KVRist

446 posts since 11 Sep, 2004, from inne Büchs

Postby uselessmind; Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:59 pm

I dont like the GUI but nice work on the synth itself.
If thats mediocre i am really curious to play your special stuff.
Andy is a support ninja.
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments