Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
Compyfox
KVRAF

14282 posts since 18 Oct, 2003, from Berlin, Germany

Postby Compyfox; Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:38 am Software equivalents of Hardware Instruments (upd soon)

As some of you might know, I'm a fan of old hardware (have some modules myself) and started a research of software equivalents of old hardware a couple of months ago because some modules are simply not available anymore, or just too expensive on the market (second hand).

The research turned into a very detailed list within a short time and keeps on constantly evolving since then. The equivalents list features synths sorted by names, a picture representation of it and three possible types of emulations:
- s/w emulations (which are the best possible software equivalents as of this moment)
- DSP solutions (synths created with engines corresponding to DSP cards like Creamware and Powercore)
- alternatives (alternative solutions like freeware, or synths that come close, but are not necessarily emulations).

Please follow this link and then click on "Hardware Research":
Hardware Research

Within the research, a couple of romplers were mentioned which cover the sounds of synths in the equivalent list, but are not emulations themselves. You can find them here:

CONSIDERABLE AS MODULAR SYNTHESIS TOOLS (oldschool/newschool):
Applied Acoustics Systems TASSMAN
Andyware Analog Box

ROMPLERS THAT COVER SAMPLES FROM THE UPPER LINKED LIST:
Arturia Analog Factory (features sounds from their analog synthesizer emulations)
Sonik Reality Sonik Synth 2 (covers stuff from Moog, ARP, Sequencial Circruits, Rhodes, RMI, etc)
Spectrasonics Athmosphere (a pattern synth that covers a lot of patches/modulations from tons of selected synths)
Wusik Wusikstation (especially the samplepacks BackInTime Recrods "The Second Wave", Nucleus Soundlab "Oberheim Resurrection", and DangerousBear "Fuel Collection")
B0rnemark Broomstick Bass (covers some bass type synthesizers, like Moog Taurus)
Spectrasonics Trilogy (among acoustic/e-bass it also covers synth bass patches)

CREAMWARE SCOPE ENGINE:
http://www.siegelmusic.de/pulsar-scope-user-page.html (Freeware)

Synths based upon NES/SNES/Genesis/Atari engines weren't mentioned. They're basicly soundchips but weren't released seperately - the only exception is the SID chip, which was released as stand alone synth. Superwave typish synths aren't mentioned either, because theoretically "every" synth is capable of recreating the hoover sound.

If you want to recommend a new synth for the list, here are a couple of rules to make things simpler for all of us:

- Please no "sound-alikes". For example "VAZ can sound like everything" or "this and that can sound like a Virus", even though it wasn't planned like that

- If you spot a synth for the list, please offer as much information as possible (links, magazine articles, which emulation of which synth, is it even an emulation, coded in SynthEdit/C++, etc)

- Best if you have confirmation that this specific synth is an emulation. More emphasis is put on the issue if you have contact to it's original creator and can direct him to this thread (or tell me where to contact him) and/or if you have the specific hardware equivalent at home/at the studio to counter check it. However I don't go into discussions "I have this thing at home, and it sounds like ass as software". This counts to personal opinions and is not objective in any form.

- Please remember: no analog hardware can be 100% emulated in digital form! It's not possible cause analog circruity can't be put 1:1 into bits and bytes - therefore software emulations can sound different than it's original hardware, as two analog synthesizers of the same kind can sound different to each other, too. This is only natural and I won't discuss what's good and what's not for the list in this case.

- Emulations are: synths built after electronic circruits/data sheets and/or the corresponding hardware, the emulation is carefully tuned compared to the original, the synth can load SYSEX from the corresponding <random> hardware module and sounds like the real instrument after loading

- Emulations are not declared by: it's look alone, the sound (for example if only the OSC are like this <random> hardware module, or it can produce "similar sounds" (hoover, reece) like the <random> hardware module)

- Exceptions: there're tons of Creamware/Native Instruments Reaktor Ensembles out there. Some are listed, some are not. It is important that the synths meet the upper mentioned requirements to be listed.

KEEP IN MIND:
I check every recommendation on an objective basis whether or not it's suitable for the list. I contact it's original creators and correspond with them if in doubt (which is 90% of the case). However I don't list everything, but try to offer the best equivalents available. Please keep that in mind - this research is not my main job but a project I started on a voluntery basis. You get tons of valuable informations "for free", where a lot of work and sparetime was put into. Please don't discredit that.

Furthermore I have to dissapoint Macintosh users. 95% of the listed synths are Windows creations (with exceptions that're properly tagged, or hybrid versions like Native Instrument offers for example).

ADDITIONAL INFORMATIONS:

Hardware museums (data sheets, reviews, pictures, audio demos):
www.vintagesynth.com
www.sequencer.de - similar to synthmuseum, but has some more "rare" material
www.synthmuseum.com - General museum of old hardware
www.ruskeys.net - Museum of the Soviet Synths

UPDATE STATUS 03JUL2006:
- Created a webpage with a handful more informations and better sorting

UPDATE STATUS 24AUG2006:
- Massive updates on the Creamware DSP instruments
- some synths moved around to "possible rebuilts"
- added new synths
- Added the NorthMood Rompler (Clavia Nord Modular), because it's focused on one instrument only
- split up: Yamaha DX-11 and TX18z, Roland SC-55 and SC-88, both with suitable equivalents
- general stuff: rearranged some names

UPDATE STATUS 03SEP2006:
- Update on the EFM Synths/added new synths
- added an alternative to Hammond B3
- Homepage source update on the pethu Hahaha CS01
- Changed the NorthMood to "alternative", as this is a rompler, and no rebuilt - there is no rebuilt available yet

UPDATE STATUS 19NOV2006:
- changed the words "rebuilt" into "emulation" due to request
- added several new synths and drum machines (Ensoniq SQ80, Casio CZ, Roland TR909, E-MU SP1200, ...)
- added several alternatives (mostly Juno-6)
- changed/enhanced several info sections (especially the Roland TB-303 and Waldorf Synths)
Last edited by Compyfox on Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:05 am, edited 31 times in total.
[ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ] | [ Mix Challenge ] | [ Video Project (in the making) ]
stayne
KVRian

1184 posts since 30 May, 2006, from Tyler, TX

Postby stayne; Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:02 am

awesome post, thanks!
snooky
Banned

Postby snooky; Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:40 am

the A-station, the K-station and the V-station is the SAME SYNTH(engine)!!!

the A-station is not "Bass station" - it's another synth.
Compyfox
KVRAF

Postby Compyfox; Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:56 am

Okay okay... nothing to freak out about.
Then again, on the Novation page is written:

V-Station:
"Software plug-in instrument version of Novation K-Station. V-Station sounds can be downloaded into the K-station and vice versa"

Bass Station:
"Software plug-in instrument version of Bass Station keyboard and rack synthesisers. Sounds created in original Bass Stations can be uploaded into plug-in or vice-versa"

Nothing mentioned about the A-Station. Fixed the upper post.
[ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ] | [ Mix Challenge ] | [ Video Project (in the making) ]
stayne
KVRian

1184 posts since 30 May, 2006, from Tyler, TX

Postby stayne; Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:01 am

the Tarkus is awol
Compyfox
KVRAF

Postby Compyfox; Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:08 am

Well... they announced "Tarkus", but it seems like this thing is kinda "lost in translation". The Komplexer isn't out yet either, but both are listed due to the facts they already posted.

Let's just hope the best.
Mutant
KVRAF

3318 posts since 9 Oct, 2004, from Poland

Postby Mutant; Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:08 am

Compyfox wrote:Hardware: Yamaha DX7 (see also next block)
Rebuilt: Native Instruments FM7, mda DX7[/url], mda DX10
Add.Info: I might be wrong on the DX7 being from mda, but there's a freebie roaming around for sure. FMHeaven might also be a possible solution, but those are your best choice!

AFAIK Mda has only DX10 - an electric piano - no DX7.

Hexter is a freeware synth that can load dx7 sysex presets.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !
Compyfox
KVRAF

Postby Compyfox; Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:20 am

That's why I said that I'm not sure about this. If somebody could hook me up with the source of the free DX7 VSTi (not Hexter), that'd be great.

I removed DX10 and added Hexter instead, but moved the mda DX10 to the "considered" section for the Yamaha DX11 and TX-81Z according to Plugin Spot.

EDIT:
Added two software equivalents to the "Theremin".
WilliamK
KVRAF

17561 posts since 11 Jun, 2001, from Wusik Dot Com

Postby WilliamK; Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:37 am

Thanks for bulding this list, it sure helps for new users. :cool:

Best Regards, WilliamK
polyslax
KVRAF

8086 posts since 11 Dec, 2003, from Canada

Postby polyslax; Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:00 am

Compyfox wrote:Hardware: ARP2600
Rebuilt: Arturia ARP2600 V
Add.Info: I remember another VSTi, but I forgot the name

Guessing the other is Way Out Ware's TimeWarp 2600.
Image Image
Compyfox
KVRAF

Postby Compyfox; Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:03 am

Even ENDORSED by the Alan R. Pearlman. Into the list with it, I'd say. Thanks. ;)
Artvera
KVRAF

1689 posts since 18 Feb, 2004, from Czech Republic

Postby Artvera; Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:09 am

What Native Instruments B4 ? It is software version of B3 Hammond organ.....
Artvera
KVRAF

Postby Artvera; Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:20 am

novaflash
KVRAF

2041 posts since 21 Nov, 2003, from Mars, Solar System

Postby novaflash; Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:22 am

Last edited by novaflash on Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Artvera
KVRAF

Postby Artvera; Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:23 am

Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments