Free 10-band parametric EQ from ddmf

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

docdued
KVRian

606 posts since 2 Apr, 2005, from out there

Postby docdued; Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:33 am Free 10-band parametric EQ from ddmf

Hi everybody,

complementary to the LP10, which is a linear phase EQ for mixdown/mastering purposes, the IIEQ is a minimum-phase 10 band parametric EQ for VST under Windows. The goal was to design a track EQ that can be used in many instances while offering more control than the usual EQs that come with DAWs. It is available for free at http://www.ddmf.eu. Any feedback is, of course, much appreciated :D !

Enjoy (hopefully), docdued
IIRs
KVRAF

6766 posts since 24 Mar, 2002, from sheffield, england

Postby IIRs; Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:19 pm

Good work, thanks for this!

I have a few requests though:

- Linear knob movement please! I hate circular ones..
- Ability to type in Freq, Gain & Q values directly.
- Individual bypass for each band.

Also I spotted a typo on your web page: I think the line "plus 8 shelving bands with variable gain, center frequency and Q" should read "plus 8 peaking bands with variable gain, center frequency and Q"

:)
IIRs
KVRAF

Postby IIRs; Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:01 pm

Also, the level meter scale seems a little arbitrary: a 0dBFS test tone reads as if there is still lots of headroom..

I like what I hear though, and I really like the fact that there is no poncy graphic curve display; it forces you to use your ears!
docdued
KVRian

Postby docdued; Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:19 pm

Thanks for your suggestions! I will try to implement them asap. Concerning the level meter: I have constructed it such that 0 dB corresponds to 75 percent on the scale; thus in principle everything works as expected. I should draw a line or something at 75 percent to make it more clear that this is the 0 dB limit though.
MrM
KVRian

1444 posts since 16 Jul, 2003, from Zwollywood, The Netherlands (Europe)

Postby MrM; Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:57 pm

I have some addiction, I download almost all DLL's, even if I'm sure I don't need them...

Anyways, I have no need for your EQ, so perhaphs you can just forget my remarks; in Logic for PC (old software, so not a big problem for you) the EQ pumps on the attack of incoming audio, like a compressor, or some-one speaking too loud in the mic.
It's a cool effect, but perhaps not intentionally created?
Bug or feauture?
Who knows :)

No keeper for me though, but that's more because I have recently thrown away hundreds of DLL's / VST's to finally start making music instead of downloading all this free plugins...
-- Regards MrM --
TotcProductions
KVRAF

6239 posts since 5 Mar, 2003, from Philadelphia, USA

Postby TotcProductions; Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:01 pm

Thanks for this! Will give it a shot, as well as demo your commercial plug.

Peace 8)
Pro-Sounds : Sound....Different

-=ToTc Owns You=-
docdued
KVRian

Postby docdued; Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:51 pm

MrM wrote:... in Logic for PC (old software, so not a big problem for you) the EQ pumps on the attack of incoming audio, like a compressor, or some-one speaking too loud in the mic.
It's a cool effect, but perhaps not intentionally created?
Bug or feauture?

That's not intended :( . I really have no idea at the moment how this can happen, and with Logic for PC no longer available it's gonna be difficult to find out...
arke
Banned

Postby arke; Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:24 pm

Well, I was looking for a decent free EQ recently ... :D
jens
KVRAF

17385 posts since 12 Jul, 2003, from West Caprazumia

Postby jens; Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:49 pm

:o :shock: WOW - finally an eq-plugin that does what it should - it works like hardware - dunno how to explain it - it just sounds really really good... :love:

Thank you so much! :hail:
'I don't know what makes XT2 sound at least 15% better than XT1, but it simply does.' - DJT

http://www.myspace.com/rustymagicmusic
docdued
KVRian

Postby docdued; Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:03 am

IIRs wrote:
I have a few requests though:

- Linear knob movement please! I hate circular ones..
- Ability to type in Freq, Gain & Q values directly.
- Individual bypass for each band.

Request 1 and 3 are now implemented...
IIRs
KVRAF

Postby IIRs; Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:40 am

Quick work, thanks! I'll have a play with the new one now.. :D
soundpalace
KVRAF

2347 posts since 13 Jul, 2005, from Australia

Postby soundpalace; Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:35 am

Very nice EQ :D

Fots
soundpalace
KVRAF

2347 posts since 13 Jul, 2005, from Australia

Postby soundpalace; Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:46 am

Seems a little buggy in Cubase SX3, and similar in Wavelab. Sometimes the knobs stop making changes to the sound, i.e. they move but the sound is not affected. Also I get some pops when inserting the plugin.

Finally, the frequency values stated do not seem accurate, the 16 khz cut / boost seems to actually be at 20 khz ... am I incorrect ? I can reproduce the sound of the GEQ for the most part, but the frequency values do not agree :)

Fots
keel
KVRian

532 posts since 27 Oct, 2004, from Inside the kick drum

Postby keel; Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:56 am

is this synthedit? or c++? or something else? :) anyway. sounds superb! and my cpu love it! and it's free ;P Thanks alot man!
syncat
KVRer

14 posts since 25 Nov, 2005, from Ukraine, Kyiv

Postby syncat; Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:31 am

Really nice EQ, but got the same bug here that soundpalace wrote about - sometimes knobs stop making changes to the sound :(
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Effects