10 commercial compressors compared in a dance context

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi!

This is something I wanted to do for a longer time. I couldn't decide which compressor to get for my needs, so I decided to demo many of the available commercial ones.

I have setup a small test on the site below where you can download a drumloop processed by 10 of the big VST compressors (unfortunately I have no UAD). Whereas most of the time those comparisons are done in a rock context, I tried to get a good sound out of the 909ish loop in a soundsculpting way. So the comps are working hard and show what they can do to make a very raw loop sounding more professional in a dance context.

In the examples I have tried to match RMS and peak levels, but also to get a good sound out of every comp. As I'm no mixing expert the whole test may be contaminated with many flaws and therefore useless, but by checking the demos I came to the conclusion that I like Marquis the best, and the 1980 second! So the process has led to distinct final conclusions on my side, which is all I was hoping for! :-)

For the start I won't tell you which loop got processed by what compressor, I'm interested to see what you like without influences coming from price etc. In the next couple of days I will bring light into this.

Link: http://alienleg.al.funpic.de/index.php

The contenders are:
Am-Track
Compadre
GUP-1
Marquis
MixPressor
SV-315
Waves SSL G

cu, Markus

Cool idea, Markus.

I'll certainly watch with interest.

btw what are 1970, 1975 and 1980?
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

i do not like c03...

1970, 1975 and 1980 are the Urs compressors. Oh and Am-Track is the one from Samplitude, unfortunately not available without its host. Everyone who likes Blockfish would want to get it! :(

Alien Leg wrote:Hi!

This is something I wanted to do for a longer time. I couldn't decide which compressor to get for my needs, so I decided to demo many of the available commercial ones.

Link: http://alienleg.al.funpic.de/index.php

The contenders are:
1970 1975 1980 Am-Track Compadre GUP-1 Marquis MixPressor SV-315 Waves SSL G
cu, Markus
haha, why the SSL & URS tests now ? :lol:
"It is not a man's conscience that determines his existence. It is his existence that determines his conscience."

Interesting ...

c08 :D and c05 is almost as good, just different.

I just use Blockfish for everything, though, so I guess I'm not too picky about this stuff.

EDIT: wait, no, c02 is above c05 but below c08

c10 kills the kick completely c03 is one of the URS ones if I'm not mistaken (I'd say the 1980) but ....now they're all starting to blurr on me... I can't handle this short clip tests sorry

thanks for that comparison.
I like C05, C08 and C02 most in that order.

c06 sounds horrible on the kick to me, c10 and c08 (lacking mid) aren't much better.
c01 sound a bit dull, so does c04
I like c05 although it's a bit too much maybe (reminds me of me on the blockfish heh), I guess my winner is c02
Rekkerd.org the latest news on audio plugins, sample libraries & virtual instruments, synth presets & more.
Don't click here if you can't control yourself!

core wrote:c06 sounds horrible on the kick to me, c10 and c08 (lacking mid) aren't much better.
c01 sound a bit dull, so does c04
I like c05 although it's a bit too much maybe (reminds me of me on the blockfish heh), I guess my winner is c02
CO2 rather than H2O ?

- Or maybe you are trying to recreate (photo)synthesis, i suppose ?

_____
Just in case

6 H2O + 6 CO2 = C6H12O6 + 6 O2

The Holy Grail of PHOTOSYNTHESIS , the very first one of all kind ( ...even mankind !!!!! )

( Don't pay attention, mate, just couldn't resist ) :oops: :lol:
Last edited by Krakatau on Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C02 is from C02.
SSL is from H20. :hihi:

c08 and c07 sound good to me.

Regards,

Tommy
Some music here

alien leg, did you try to match the attack and release values?

edit: only had a quick listen to your samples, but I think I like c02 most...

thank you for this wonderful test!

Assuming that you used the same attack/ratio etc settings, here is my ranking, which seem to be working best for your demo beat (which doesn't mean necessary it works good on other material as well):

01 ) C02-Best
02 ) C10-OK
03 ) C08-This one is special, its not bad! - but has his own charm!
04 ) C09-OK
05 ) C04-good
06 ) C06-weird attack
07 ) C07-too hard attack
08 ) C03-weird attack
09 ) C05-weird bass
10 ) C01-overall weird and lightly distorted

When are you revealing the the result, i'm curious! :)
Cowbells!

Return to “Effects”