Voxengo Overtone GEQ (free VST plug-in)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have finally come up with a plug-in release (after so much time of silence).

This is a 7-band harmonic (overtone) graphic equalizer, with multi-channel support (up to 8 channels, host setup dependent, with VST hosts version below 2.3 only 2 channels will be used).

First of all, this release finalizes our 'invisible' development cycle and allows us to release new plug-ins with a lot of new development freedom and efficiency (I have already mentioned technical improvements at the Voxengo forums). However, this is VST 2.4 plug-in with 64-bit processing support (have not checked it, though) - not VST 2.3 as I've planned before. Also, we are ready to release Mac VST soon (with Mac AU following shortly) - basically what you can see on PC can be seen on Mac as well.

Right now I'm not putting any readme files into ZIP - I will gladly read your questions about the workflow and operation of the plug-in. This will also help me to create a more comprehensive read-me file later. But I really hope plug-in UI (though, complex) is self-explanatory in most cases.

What is going to be done: preset manager does not allow you to change preset names - this will be fixed. Next version will also feature a 'hint line' with descriptions of various controls. Preset manager load/save is a bit odd - you'll have to specify file extension yourself (cbf and cpf): but I do not suggest to use preset manager extensively in this version.

More information: Bypass state is not saved between sessions. Most efficient audio card latency is 512 samples for use with this plug-in (plug-in's internal processing overhead may become considerable at low latencies like 64 samples).

Overtone GEQ implements graphic equalizer by using bell-shaped curves. So, when you boost adjacent bands the overall boost may go over 12 dB. Beside equalizing, Overtone GEQ features harmonic enhancement module I call 'meta tube' - it is an approximation I've come up with after developing Warmifier's and Marquis's harmonic modules. Overtone GEQ is CPU hungry because it uses 7 'meta tubes' - one for each EQ band. This generates a quite complex harmonic distortion.

The plug-in DLL can be downloaded here: http://www.voxengo.com/temp/OvertoneGEQbeta2.zip (updated to beta 2)

Please put it into extreme stress-test, but also please be ready for possible glitches and bugs. I have tested it in several hosts, though, without any problems popping up.

Waiting for your responses with anxiety.

(BTW, next bigger update of this plug-in is going to be released in October as we are going to vacation soon).
Last edited by Aleksey Vaneev on Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

so kind.....thanks very much 8) will let you know of any troubles :)

:party: Thanks so much! Great EQ..!

Thank you! Looks very interesting. Hope to try it later tonight.

Thanks, Aleksey! Can't wait to try this out :)
"Time makes fools of us all. Our only comfort is that greater shall come after us." Eric Temple Bell

http://thetomorrowfile.bandcamp.com/

Very nice GUI.
I'm not that used to fixed freq plugins, but i dig a lot Voxengo Span and Boogex, adn that GUI is just gorgeous, so let's give it a try ;) !
Thank you for releasing it.

The interface enhancements are great. Undo history, preset management and the overall clarity and comfortable size all work really well.

Voxengo Evolution ! Great news Aleksey. I see there will be a big benefeit to this new update across all your plugins, and this EQ looks cool. I will try it out as soon as I have a chance!

Thanks for your comments! :) We'll include several color schemes in the next version. Skin support - though already implemented, - will be added later (we are still working on defining all bits for them). UI interface will be also scalable: with 80% and 125% additional sizes (though, this option cannot be applied without reloading the plug-in). I'm also planning to add Mid/Side options (and maybe other types of encoding/decoding options) to the routing box.

Aleksey I think you're taking things to the next level with this new GUI design (much better!), AU support, scalable interfaces, 64-bit processing support, and more. I'm sure this hard work will pay off!
Last edited by smart on Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smart, you'll have to see knobs we have designed first. :) We'll show them in some other plug-in.

Just tried it in both Acid pro 6 and energyXT. It uses around 100% cpu and produces nothing but nasty clicks.

Bo

Aleksey Vaneev wrote:smart, you'll have to see knobs we have designed first. :) We'll show them in some other plug-in.
Can't wait 8)

Bojo Software wrote:Just tried it in both Acid pro 6 and energyXT. It uses around 100% cpu and produces nothing but nasty clicks.

Bo
Ah, fine. I thought it will go without problems :) What kind of computer have you got, which audio card latency have you specified, which sample rate?

(maybe denormal issue ?)
Last edited by Aleksey Vaneev on Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

it's already been mentioned but WOW Aleksey, it is nice to see you have polished up the Voxengo GUI 8)

looking absolutely gorgeous

Return to “Effects”