Use standard windows appearance for eXT's window(s)

Official support for: energy-xt.com
Post Reply New Topic

Should eXT's window(s) use standard windows appearance?

Yes
21%
No
63%
I don't care
16%

Total votes: 134

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Jorgen, could you please make eXT's window, subwindows (dialogboxes) and scrollbars using the standard windows appearance? I think this would be a great visual improvement for the standalone program! If the user is running windows in Classic-Style, he get's classic appearance for eXT too. If the user is running windows with Luna-Style, eXT's window(s) will use it too.

Please consider this for eXT2. I would appreciate it highly!

Please also don't forget to add a proper icon to the standalone programfile. I also would love to see "standalone.exe" renamed to "ext.exe" or "ext2.exe".

Many thanks!
Last edited by Dandruff on Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dandruff wrote:Please consider this for eXT2. I would appreciate it highly!
i guess he won't as XT2 will be cross-platform (linux) so the window handling will be something that's os independent.

eXT is skinnable... You probably can do all this yourself.

Could this be done with a skin? I've done very little with eXT so I don't know, but having seen some of the skins that are out there, it seems likely to me.

[edit] "Snap," as they say.

R.A.W. wrote:i guess he won't as XT2 will be cross-platform (linux) so the window handling will be something that's os independent.
i don't think, this is a problem.

M'Snah wrote:eXT is skinnable... You probably can do all this yourself.
Meffy wrote:Could this be done with a skin?
no, you can't (at least not in ext1). you also would have to create a new skin each time you change the style in windows.

here a skin i've created sometime ago, where i found out the limitations of skinning: http://asseca.com/wiki/Skins/Classic (scrollbars, buttons and border-widths all don't look and behave like a standard window)

Dandruff wrote:
Meffy wrote:Could this be done with a skin?
no, you can't (at least not in ext1). you also would have to create a new skin each time you change the style in windows.
I never change the style in Windows... But I understand what you mean...

To me, the irritating factor is not appearance (I like the looks of Xt with its skins just fine), but rather that, for example, scrollbars do not behave like standard Windows scrollbars: under Windows, when you click above or below a scrollbar handle, you move one page up or down; that does not happen with the Xt widgets. And that's not the only example of non-standard widget behaviour.

exactly. this is an additional reason to use the standard xp style ...

I'm sure I've seen an XP Silver skin for eXT as well.

i'm not talking about skins here. it's more than that!

-1 for native windows look (its probably impossible anyway)
+0.1 for windows-like gui behavior
+0.1 for more skinning freedom

(there are many much more important things imo)

comxed wrote:-1 for native windows look (its probably impossible anyway)
why should it be impossible? look at cubase: skinned inside a standard window ...

i guess he won't as XT2 will be cross-platform (linux) so the window handling will be something that's os independent.
That's why.

I don't see the point of this idea :shrug:

look at cubase and ableton live for example: cross-platform too and they use the standard windows style ...
Last edited by Dandruff on Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

.jon wrote:
That's why.

I don't see the point of this idea :shrug:
well, i don't care much about the GUI=windows as far as visuals is concerned. but like it was said before, it would be great if XT did behave just like windows/explorer behaves, like scrollbar behaviour, etc.
my opinion is keep XT's GUI OS-dependend as it is already, but do add standard OS behaviours.

Return to “energyXT”