Sylenth1: This is missing

Official support for: lennardigital.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hesnotthemessiah wrote:Tried the demo and loved it. Spent over an hour and only got through the first 10 presets
Then you must have a headache by now from the demo-voice sample :wink: I realize it plays a bit too frequently, so I'll turn it down a bit on the next update.
hesnotthemessiah wrote:I would additionaly request is linear rather than rotary knob control
Because of SE it's not yet possible to make the knob behavior configurable by users unfortunately. I could ofcourse make it linear, but that would rule out circular completely. And since linear is less precise than circular, I don't think that would be a good idea.

We're migrating away from SE completely, so the knob behavior will also be redone in the future.
hesnotthemessiah wrote:a few more modulation options (to route to effects - lfo to reverb level?)
That shouldn't be a problem, I'll see if I can fit it in the next update.
hesnotthemessiah wrote:and more actual modulation slots (so you can have more modulations at one time).
If you mean you want to select more destinations for an LFO for example, that is possible using the Misc Mod panels. You can select the LFOs and ADSRs as a source there.
hesnotthemessiah wrote:And perhaps EQ reduction aswell as boost - plus configurable routing of the FX. Being able to copy and paste filter/oscillator settings would be handy too.
Will keep these in mind, thanks for noting.
hesnotthemessiah wrote:I love Sylenth1! I will join this group buy as soon as my email is back up and running.
Great, thanks!

[quote="4damind"][quote="filterfilter"]The reason that i bought the sylenth is that (in my opinion) it is the first VSTi, that's NOT (!!!) sounding thin in the "bassment"! The quality of the oscillators and filters is the best I've heard from a VSTi by now.[/quote]

Hast du nicht auf HR gemeint das du wohl der einzige bist mit dieser positiven Meinung über den Sylenth? Naja, gaaaanz so ist es ja nun doch nicht :P[/quote]

Ah ja, 4damind...sieht so aus als gäbs noch weitere Fans :wink: hab den threat bei homerecording gar nicht weiter verfolgt, was ich grad mal nachgeholt habe. Das meiste von dem, was du geschrieben hast, würde ich sofort unterschreiben! Besonders die Sache mit der Library. Ich könnte mir vorstellen das eine professionelle, umfangreiche Library, die die Möglichkeiten des Sylenth mal richtig auslotet, viele Kritiker verstummen lassen würde!! Das wäre wohl ganz oben auf der to-do-Liste, neben einem Arpeggiator. Ich bin übrigens immer noch verknallt in den Sylenth :love: kann stundenlang einfach nur dran rum schrauben und den sound geniessen :wink:

OMG are some of you guys deaf?
This is easily the most analogue sounding synth there
is fat, warm & very deep.
**Please do not change the sound.**
Presets are meh ok but who cares about presets, although i can't seem to see a way of saving presets within the program is this possible?

I find the knobs & switches a bit difficult to manipulate sometimes, but i think the overall layout works ok. Would be nice if it was a bit prettier.

nrosko wrote:OMG are some of you guys deaf?
This is easily the most analogue sounding synth there
is fat, warm & very deep.
**Please do not change the sound.**
Presets are meh ok but who cares about presets, although i can't seem to see a way of saving presets within the program is this possible?

I find the knobs & switches a bit difficult to manipulate sometimes, but i think the overall layout works ok. Would be nice if it was a bit prettier.

Dont get me wrong, i agree with you. I just think if there was a very good preset-library, many people would probably realice how good Sylenth really is

Das Teil klingt nicht mal normal, das ist Shareware Qualitaet, nach 2 Minuten hatte ich das erste Aliasing hingeschraubt, dabei hat das Teil weder FM noch Ringmodulation, Distortion und Drive (damit geht es noch schneller) hatte ich ebenfalls deaktiviert, also sind es mit Sicherheit nicht die ueblichen Verdaechtigen. Im Hintergrund hoert man eine diffuse Noise Fahne, aber wenn man die Distortion nicht ausschaltet, wird man davon nicht viel mitbekommen. Vom kompletten fehlen der Interpolation des Cutoff-Parameters (Regler Bewegung) nicht zu sprechen, was jeder bei hoher Resoananz testen kann...
Danach hatte ich die Lust an dem Teil verloren...
Hm, that's what a famous german synth-patcher (summa) said about this synth.

My english is not very well, to translate it with a machine ... eeerrhmmm .. no.
Anybody so kind to translate it to english? :oops:

It's not a try to make an offense to lennar or his synth. I wish to look at summa's points and to build these features in into the next updates. Lennar can do it, i believe he has the ability to make it. :wink:

He means that this thing doesn't sound normal and its shareware quality. After 2 minutes screwing he got the first aliasing, thereby this thing doesn't have ringmodulation nor FM. Drive and distortion are disabled, so this couldn't be the reason for that.
In the background he can hear a diffuse noise-flag, but people will not hear this if distortion is enabled.
He is missing the complete interpolation of the cutoff-parameters (controller moving), everybody can test with high resonance.

After this, he lost the lust for this thing.

JonnySun 2.0 wrote:Hm, that's what a famous german synth-patcher (summa) said about this synth.
I'd like to have a talk with him, because this doesn't make much sense. Doesn't sound normal? Ofcourse it doesn't, the oscillators and filters sound better than any 'normal' synth! :)
4damind wrote:After 2 minutes screwing he got the first aliasing, thereby this thing doesn't have ringmodulation nor FM. Drive and distortion are disabled, so this couldn't be the reason for that.
I can assure you that in there is NO aliasing in this case whatsoever. Unless maybe you turn up the filters resonance to the extreme and cutoff very high. Most synths have limited their resonance to only a moderate level to prevent it from causing distortion, but I wanted to leave the option to take it to the extreme to the user. If you set the resonance this high, you will not be able to even hear the original filter input signal! Ofcourse such huge amounts will also cause distortion and can cause a little bit of aliasing, which is not really disturbing though. If you really can't live with this and want it completely alias-free even at these amounts of resonance, simply set the samplerate to 192kHz. This will completely remove any aliasing artifacts.

The distortion effect itself is oversampled 4 times to remove most aliasing artifacts even at 44kHz samplerate, in contrary to most other distortion plugins.

In a future update there will probably be an oversampling option for the filters too, to eliminate all possible aliasing even at low samplerates.
4damind wrote:In the background he can hear a diffuse noise-flag, but people will not hear this if distortion is enabled.
He is missing the complete interpolation of the cutoff-parameters (controller moving), everybody can test with high resonance.
Which is simply not true. I can guarantee there is NO such thing as a 'diffuse noise-flag', and ALL parameters including cutoff are interpolated in high quality, to prevent stuttering when you turn the knobs (just try moving the cutoff knob and you'll hear for yourself that it's very smooth).
4damind wrote:After this, he lost the lust for this thing.
That's too bad, but I think he should have tested it a little bit longer than 2 minutes before making up his mind...

Thanx to Jonny for taking this part completely out of the thread context and spreading it thru the internet and into several forums without my permission. He also forget to mention that he wasn't able to review the demo himself, since his PC isn't able to run SSE Software, what was part of the message...
As well as he forgot to mention that I tested the demo (I think it was 1.1) not the full version, that acted the way I described it...
A formant is a preferred resonating frequency of any acoustical system.

Well, I wouldn't base my own decisions on some magazine guy's opinion. Reading reviews and such can be most helpful. But ultimately you have to take the responsibility to make your own decisions based on what your own ears tell you!
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

Well, in the thread Jonny took my posting from, he stated Sylenth must be an extraordinary synth simply by auditioning the Mp3s. He also insulted another guy that he must be naive thinking that Sylent is just an ordinary synth, so I took myself a heart and checked the Demo version. So I guess his posting is rather his way of taking revenge on me than a real question...

Here's the original thread...

http://www.synthesizerforum.de/synthesi ... highlight=

Hi Summa, thanks for clearing that up! :)

Oh, now since I've read the whole thread, I know the context of his statement. The real context is just a childish dispute about opinions and expertise and that resulted in some obviously unmindful and overheated utterances. Although I'm not a synth expert (I just play piano and I used my last synth more than 8 years ago) I really doubt that Sylenth1 is as bad as he claimed.

I rechecked my results at least three times, still it can be an issue with host, CPU, soundcard or demo-version, I can't say. Since smaller developers can't test their software with all possible configurations, this can be everything and might not apply to the full version.
Anyway everyone with minimal experience in subtractive synthesis can test if he's able to hear steps when moving the filterfrequency manualy or via controller box while resonance is at maximum, while filter saturation and FX set to off. This function might be vital for automated filtersweeps...
Aliasing was also pretty easy to create, by assigning an LFO to the pitch of an oscillator (standard vibrato setting, not too high) with waveform set to saw and filterfrequency to max, testing thru the high notes, some tend to create an additional whistle, what's slighty better to recognise if you increase resonance.

Well, these are pretty much standard tests I perform with every synth...

@Lennard

If the demo shouldn't react that way, I'm willing to help with wave-files of the problems I found, but my currenty project keeps me busy until at least the 10th of this month. So if you're interested please contact me...

Summa wrote:I rechecked my results at least three times, still it can be an issue with host, CPU, soundcard or demo-version, I can't say. Since smaller developers can't test their software with all possible configurations, this can be everything and might not apply to the full version.
Anyway everyone with minimal experience in subtractive synthesis can test if he's able to hear steps when moving the filterfrequency manualy or via controller box while resonance is at maximum, while filter saturation and FX set to off. This function might be vital for automated filtersweeps...
Could you tell me what buffersize you use for your soundcard? In all VST plugins the screen-to-audio parameter update frequency depends on this buffersize. If you use a large buffersize then sure you will hear steps. EVERY VST synth does this, it's just normal behaviour. Just make sure your soundcard's buffer size is not larger than about 1024 samples. With a small buffer size the cutoff tweaking and automation will be very smooth.
Aliasing was also pretty easy to create, by assigning an LFO to the pitch of an oscillator (standard vibrato setting, not too high) with waveform set to saw and filterfrequency to max, testing thru the high notes, some tend to create an additional whistle, what's slighty better to recognise if you increase resonance.
Yes, like I said, this is caused by the filter distortion. There will probably be an oversampling option for the filter in the future to reduce these aliasing effects. Running Sylenth1 at higher samplerates will help already. In most cases these effects can hardly be heard and are not really disturbing though.

Buffer Size ist 512 Samples, Soundcard Juli@ at 44.1khz and the interpolation works fine for my other softsynths. But I might have mistaken zipper noise for missing interpolation, since it sounded somewhat different on 96khz...

Sorry to say that, but the aliasing is getting slightly better at 96khz, but it's still tweeting at high resonance. Other than that I'm getting random clicks at 96khz, even so the processor load isn't getting higher than 6%...

Return to “LennarDigital”