A romantic ambiental song, "Ice and Sun"

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dear friends,

This is a song in a romantic symphonic style similar to the works by Vangelis. It was created entirely with the Tone2 FireBird VST synth.

If you like classical technique, rich textures and harmonies and incessantly evolving music, Zero-Copy-Paste(TM) Certified :), but above all to see how this synth performs in new-age styles, give it a spin.

http://www.aziraphal.com/mp3/Aziraphal_Ice_and_Sun.mp3
(5.1 MB / 128 kbps)

If the download is slow, try the Soundclick page: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInf ... ID=4907212.

Cheers Matt
Every time you use autotune, God kills a kitten.
Please, think of the kittens.

I have to say I really enjoyed this piece. It was like hmm, where will this song take me next. That you did this all wtih just one synth too...wow. I think its bout time I take a closer look at this Firebird synth.
Al-

Aziraphal wrote:Dear friends,

This is a song in a romantic symphonic style similar to the works by Vangelis. It was created entirely with the Tone2 FireBird VST synth.

If you like classical technique, rich textures and harmonies and incessantly evolving music, Zero-Copy-Paste(TM) Certified :), but above all to see how this synth performs in new-age styles, give it a spin.

http://www.aziraphal.com/mp3/Aziraphal_Ice_and_Sun.mp3
(5.1 MB / 128 kbps)

If the download is slow, try the Soundclick page: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInf ... ID=4907212.

Cheers Matt
Matt,

This is a VERY nice piece (I'm a HUGE Vangelis fan). Starts out predictable but then goes places I wouldn't have predicted. Held my interest.

It's AMAZING that you did this totally on Firebird. I haven't messed with it a whole lot since I bought it, but I would NEVER have thought it could be this flexible. If you haven't already, you should post this in the Tone2 forum. I'm sure it will make Markus very proud!

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys!

Indeed, this synth must be one of the / if not THE / biggest value / money ratio on the market. I luv it :)

Cheers Matt

What a gorgeous song! And made with what has recently become my favorite synth!

I would be interested to know which presets you used for this--or did you create your own?

I recently bought the "Spectrals" patch bank, and was initially somewhat disappointed because they're totally unlike what I was expecting, but then it occurred to me that they are perfect for (and probably designed for) ambient music. As such, they're very good presets.

This song is a great inspiration for me to start work on an ambient tune, which will definitely not be "zero-copy-paste" certified. :wink:

By the way, I'm loving the others songs on your site. I might have to buy your album.

Uchdryd

Hey Uchdryd, thanks man :)

I started with the FB's presets but tweaked all of them, mostly just a little, the lead bell sound in the second part was a bit more trouble.
I was thinking about the expansions too, but right now I'm satisfied with the basic waves and would prefer the version 2 with more control over all the parameters. Let's pray Markus gives it to us and SOON :) I just can't be a proper Vangelis fanatic without aftertouch-controlled filter.

If you decide for the cd, I dare say it won't disappoint :)

Have fun and let me know when you finish your song
Cheers Matt

Aziraphal wrote:Hey Uchdryd, thanks man :)

I started with the FB's presets but tweaked all of them, mostly just a little, the lead bell sound in the second part was a bit more trouble.
I was thinking about the expansions too, but right now I'm satisfied with the basic waves and would prefer the version 2 with more control over all the parameters. Let's pray Markus gives it to us and SOON :) I just can't be a proper Vangelis fanatic without aftertouch-controlled filter.

If you decide for the cd, I dare say it won't disappoint :)

Have fun and let me know when you finish your song
Cheers Matt
Well, Firebird is much more tweakable than it appears to be (mainly due to extensive use of drop-down menus), but I suspect you know this and still would like more control. As for me, I'm making my first presets on it and I'm still overwhelmed with all the variables!

BTW, what's your opinion of Wusikstation?

Normally I would expect that I wouldn't like your music b/c, well, you're obviously very knowledgeable about music theory, and musicians who know too much generally make music that's technically fantastic but also inaccessible and dull. However, you seem to be one of the exceptions. I bought "Ave Triumphator" and love it! Nice melody and synth work. Very listenable.

Uchdryd

Uchdryd wrote: BTW, what's your opinion of Wusikstation?

Normally I would expect that I wouldn't like your music b/c, well, you're obviously very knowledgeable about music theory, and musicians who know too much generally make music that's technically fantastic but also inaccessible and dull. However, you seem to be one of the exceptions. I bought "Ave Triumphator" and love it! Nice melody and synth work. Very listenable.

Uchdryd
W00h00 we sold one, party time! :D :D :D Thanks!

I gave the Wusik's demos a few critical listens when the group buy was announced, I WANTED to like it as I was searching for a cheap workstation alternative to Hypersonic. But unfortunately, I wasn't too impressed, especially the drums sounded weak to me. I got Hyper in the end.

Cheers Matt

very, very pretty, aziraphel...I'm astounded that you did this entirely on Firebird...it's...it's...so undancelike.

You know that Markus had "trance in his pants" when he made Firebird, right? :lol:

Some magazine review of Firebird had that statement, which, while somewhat humorous in a "no you did not just say that" kinda way, is not really a fair assessment of Firebird. Yes, I think Firebird is an outstanding synth for making dance music, but, as I discovered when I bought the "Spectrals presets" and then started making my own, it's very versatile. It's well-suited for ambient/New Age/Vangelis-like ("undancelike") stuff (as we've now heard) and can make all kinds of sounds for anyone willing to make their own (there aren't many banks available for it yet).

So who wants to share a preset or two to demonstrate what can be done with this beast?

Uchdryd

Return to “Music Cafe”