Old timey song in the style of Hoagie Carmichael

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Very cool, mate!!! Really enjoyed it! Gather that's all you? What did you use for the crackle effect and the old time vocal effect?

Nice work!

:)
I've joined Lurkers Anonymous.

Fun. Not enough whistling though.

Watto wrote:Very cool, mate!!! Really enjoyed it! Gather that's all you?
No, actually this is my only current 'band'. It consists of my mate Charles and I. Charles you know as the bassist from Endangered Rhythms. He is a versatile fellow, and he plays everything you hear except the 'strings'.

The way this song worked is typical of our recent work: I wrote this song some years back and Charles 'adopted' it. The fact is that he is much more of a singer/guitarist sort of fellow then I am, so he sort of added this song to his collection.

He recorded a version that had (literally) 4 additional guitar parts, and two additional mandolin parts, all of which kept going throughout the entire song. Sort of like an open stage night with nothing but Charlies on stage. :hihi:

So I took all these parts, edited out 90% of them, rearranged things a bit, added the string part from my original arrangement of the song, and Voila!
What did you use for the crackle effect and the old time vocal effect?
I used Izotope Vinyl and extreme hp/lp filter settings on the vox. The crackle effect is from a cassette I made ages ago from an LP of Bartoks Miraculous Mandarin. I fell asleep, and the tape has about 10 minutes of vinyl popping noises at the end.

A real pro I was with those cassettes!

Who would have imagined it would turn out to be useful?
Nice Work!

:)
Thanks!

One thing that's interesting in this is that your bandmate has a very '70s singing style. Not sure what exactly imparts that quality, but something is there. So the 70s styling with the old-timey sensibility is fun in a battling anachronisms sort of way.

Ah, so you're not the singer - oh, well, I really like your arrangement, and dig Charles' voice!
I've joined Lurkers Anonymous.

shamann wrote:One thing that's interesting in this is that your bandmate has a very '70s singing style.

It's because for Charles, music died in the 70's.

:hihi:
battling anachronisms

That should be our band name.

herodotus wrote:
battling anachronisms

Nice song, very well done, great work on arrangements
Cheers

read "Hoagie Carmichael" and was compelled to download...

This is absolutely gorgeous. :love:

He sounds weirdly like an American Nick Drake...and that spooky mandolin is spine-tingling.

very nice, agree with clueless, that manodlin is tops especially against the strings.

the treatments are particularly inspired, the sculpting of the vocal frequencies works wonders.

regards

Laguna Rising wrote:
Nice song, very well done, great work on arrangements
Cheers
Thanks!
clueless wrote:read "Hoagie Carmichael" and was compelled to download...

This is absolutely gorgeous. :love:

He sounds weirdly like an American Nick Drake...and that spooky mandolin is spine-tingling.
Thanks!

The arrangement started around those mandolin parts. They gave me a focal point. Before I centered on them, there was just too much going on to choose from. Charles is an embarrassment of riches kind of guy. Thats why it is so easy to make bass loops from his playing: you know he isn't ever going to repeat himself. :hihi:
knockman wrote:very nice, agree with clueless, that manodlin is tops especially against the strings.

the treatments are particularly inspired, the sculpting of the vocal frequencies works wonders.

regards
I am glad you noticed that about the vox. Fitting the vocals in was what took the longest.

Thanks!

And thanks for listening all!

herodotus wrote:
shamann wrote:One thing that's interesting in this is that your bandmate has a very '70s singing style.

It's because for Charles, music died in the 70's.

battling anachronisms

Oh, and thanks for listening, Steve!

:oops:

kudos, herodotus! that was swell...in the best Hoagy Carmichael sort of way. Really cool...great picking, too.

Man, I wish I could play Georgia on my Mind.

mayan wrote:kudos, herodotus! that was swell...in the best Hoagy Carmichael sort of way. Really cool...great picking, too.
Thanks for listening!

Return to “Music Cafe”