The Upsampling Your Mix Thread

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Carrying on an OT discussion from here about exporting your mix at a higher sample rate like 96 or 192khz, even if you were working at 44k or 48k, in order to oversample your mix and get a higher quality master.

Dayl, Aduiomove and r8brain are really, really well-made sample rate converters that offer super-high quality algorithms for processing samples. I don't know the science, per se, but let's just say your host ain't the last word on sample rate conversion!

I'm listening to two bouncedowns I made of my last mix; one at 44-32 and one exported from Cubase at 96khz, then upsampled to 192khz in Audiomove. In headphones, the difference doesn't seem that obvious to me...but I need to try the final master/conversion thing, like dusted william suggested.

Nice, so far the obvious thing for me to do is start working with 44/32 as I currently
work (by default) in 44/32.

I have never tried the 96 option either.

And what does 32bit float mean anyway? :)

So would r8brain and audiomove somehow sweeten (for lack of a better word) the sample when changing bitrate or (edit) mainly samplerate?

Dayl wrote:Nice, so far the obvious thing for me to do is start working with 44/32 as I currently
Sorry - you're working at 44/32, so you should start working at 44/32? I would suggest working higher than that, at least 88/32. My next album, I'm doing it all at the highest my computer can handle. Mine eyes have seen the light. :shock:
Dayl wrote:I have never tried the 96 option either.

And what does 32bit float mean anyway? :)
Basically, it just means you have a nice, plentiful amount of numbers to 'describe' your audio. It also means there is virtually no limit on headroom, so with 96/32 files, your interface is sampling your incoming audio 96,000 times per second, with 32-bits to describe. It's beautiful, really, when compared to 44/16.
Dayl wrote:So would r8brain and audiomove somehow sweeten (for lack of a better word) the sample when changing bitrate of mainly samplerate?
Well, I thought high-quality SRC's were just for making the most perfect copy of your audio as possible, but if you read the webpage for r8brain Pro, it offers non-linear phase conversion, which is supposed to offer analog-to-digital conversion that would resemble the hardware world, where you would have some small, desirable coloration introduced. At least that's how I understand it. This is all a little new-ish to me too. :D

bduffy - nothing is gained by upsampling a mix *after* rendering. on the contrary its destructive. Where you gain is by upsampling before effects (so that the effects work better) then downsampling after.

semiquaver wrote:bduffy - nothing is gained by upsampling a mix *after* rendering. on the contrary its destructive. Where you gain is by upsampling before effects (so that the effects work better) then downsampling after.
Yes, this is where I'm losing dusted william a bit: I fully understand this:

Project = 44/32
Bounce down = 96/32

But he was saying he upsamples that to 192khz, so the editor can do even better processing. Does that sound kosher? I too am concerned about overprocessing.

perhaps the best option is to keep mixing and composition/production separate - do all your composition, arranging, and sound design at a reasonable samplerate, then export to 96kHz audio and do your mixing (and most likely mastering if you're like most of us), then export THAT to your standard 44.1khz 24-bit/16-bit/whatever you need final product.

Rellik wrote:perhaps the best option is to keep mixing and composition/production separate - do all your composition, arranging, and sound design at a reasonable samplerate, then export to 96kHz audio and do your mixing (and most likely mastering if you're like most of us), then export THAT to your standard 44.1khz 24-bit/16-bit/whatever you need final product.
Yeah, that's a good idea. Too late for this album, I'd be throwing away a year of mixing if I went back and resampled everything, and some of these songs have been processed a million times. But definitely I'll do that now.

bduffy wrote:But he was saying he upsamples that to 192khz, so the editor can do even better processing. Does that sound kosher? I too am concerned about overprocessing.
I just tried working at 96KHz again this weekend and I think it'll be ok on my new PentiumM laptop (new for me that is). I'm remastering so I've only got 2 tracks but it's an M-S split and I've got 3 ozones, 2 sonalksis 315 mono comps's, 2 masterQ's, etc. I'm just about max'd out cpu wise in Tracktion2 without freezing anything - I'd rather not do that. I don't think 192KHz is possible, I like to hear what I'm doing in real time anyway. Effects do sound better up here at 96KHz as I remember last time I tried it. Thanks for the reminder this week from Kingston and youse guys... :tu:
Last edited by kylen on Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

bduffy wrote:
Dayl wrote:Nice, so far the obvious thing for me to do is start working with 44/32 as I currently
Sorry mate, yeah I meant 44/16
:oops:

Sorry mate, yeah I meant 44/16
:oops:
Dude. Ditch the 16 ASAP! :D Or do like Rellik suggested; compose/sketch in 16-bit, then do it proper at higher quality when you're ready to mix. :D

kylen wrote:
bduffy wrote:But he was saying he upsamples that to 192khz, so the editor can do even better processing. Does that sound kosher? I too am concerned about overprocessing.
I just tried working at 96KHz again this weekend and I think it'll be ok on my new PentiumM laptop (new for me that is). I'm remastering so I've only got 2 tracks but it's an M-S split and I've got 3 ozones, 2 sonalksis 315 mono comps's, 2 masterQ's, etc. I'm just about max'd out cpu wise in Tracktion2 without freezing anything - I'd rather not do that. I don't think 192KHz is possible, I like to hear what I'm doing in real time anyway. Effects do sound better up here at 96KHz as I remember last time I tried it. Thanks for the reminder this week from Kingston and youse guys... :tu:
Yeah, man, just when I think I got it all figured out..now I know why everyone's using these higher sample rates...

Oh, and that's some crazy frikkin' setup you got going on there! CPU DEATH! :-o

I still haven't seen one sample. I've only seen placebo heaven from you people.

Well maybe thats because you dont SEE music

Shy, you don't have to be a dick about it. You know, it takes awhile to bounce, convert and master an entire song at high sample rate. :roll:

Sascha said he'd provide something in the morning, I'm working on it right now.

camsr wrote:Well maybe thats because you dont SEE music
A rephrasing then, "I still haven't seen one sample posted from you people." Yes, I intend to hear the samples, not look at them.

Return to “Production Techniques”