Official support for: energy-xt.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

[title changed ... Darkstar]

*INSERT APPROPRIATE PRAISE HERE FOR THE RECENT CHANGES*

now that we're through with the needed formalities I can start my rant:

[rant]

ARGH!!!

I just tired to glue to parts but where's the glue-command?

Right-click? Nope!

'parts'-menu? Nope!

'tracks'menu? Nope!

'sequence'-menu? Yep, there it is.

I know I can use a shortcut but what about a beginner?

eXT 1.x had always almost all functions available via the context-menu. Nontheless there have been some interface-inconsistencies and a whole lot of people complained a whole lot about it. They said working with eXT is hard to learn because of these inconsistencies.

But to tell the truth I think it has become worse in XT2 - functions are shattered all over the place. Render to a new track? Where was it again? Can't remember right now - any of those odd confusing menus on the top in any case - but it's also in any case not even in the same menu as the other render-functions... and if I wanted to use it right now I had to look for it - and I had to move my mouse a lot for it.

Having all functions available via context-menu is crucial for a good workflow. Having the functions otherwise arranged in a logical and consistent order is as well. XT2 is on the best way to become really terrible in this regard - and I've got the feeling the more changes are being made the worse it becomes.

[/rant]
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Just to make sure:

I'm really happy about all the latest improvements and stuff but I think someone has to be the party-pooper and I always seemed to somehow adjust well to that role... :hihi:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Funny, i was just navigating through XT and thought to myself how if i were a noob, i would really feel a workflow hindrance which is ironic being that XT2 is all about workflow. Even as a regular user, i tend to get into a bit of bumps here and there. For example:

Am i going nuts or is the time stretching option gone?????

Also, there's a mixer button to the left where the render and browser buttons are situated. I feel this is unecessary since the mixer is docked.

I agree it is getting a bit messy.
I'm better than you. Deal with it.

Im always open for suggestions

cheers
jorgen
Half developer half human
XT Software
http://www.energy-xt.com

+1 for useful context menus. Glue, zoom to, save part as (if there is only 1 selected).

I think the mixer button is still needed, as you can undock the mixer. And if you do, then the button will still be needed to bring it up.

Brent
My host is better than your host

+101

Former Pharaoh wrote: Am i going nuts or is the time stretching option gone?????
Seems to work with single samples but not with audio clips containing lots of samples anymore. :(

PS
will we ever be able to stretch midi clips?

I strongly agree that the menus, right click, and actions need to be kept in sync and organized.
If it matters, actions and right click are more used by me than menus.

jorgen wrote:Im always open for suggestions

cheers
jorgen

that's great to hear - my opinion has always been that the top menus, buttons etc. should mainly be reserved for functions which can't be made available via context-menu. Now you put more and more functions up there and remove them from the context-menus - e.g. mixer-programmes come to mind - originally you could add, rename and delete them directly via right-click - I have no idea why you changed this - now you have to move the mouse to the top - and let's have a look at it:

there's an 'add'-menu but that's not where you can add mixer-programmes - you have to select 'add' within the 'programm'-menu.

The 'add'-menu is currently solely used to add groups. Sends on the other hand are added by dropping plugins to the send bins.

This 'add'-menu is only available when the mixer is opened. The top menu completely changes depending on what window is active.
So what we've got is a context-sensitive top-menu which has some of XT2's functions organized in sub-menus whose names are often misleading or at least don't give a hint about what functions they contain.

And to tell you the truth a lot appears arbitrary.

All this is just confusing and as I already said it's getting worse and worse, hence this thread. ;-)

+1000
If I were demoing XT2 beta and would not know how fantastic this program is, I maybe would throw it away quite soon again, because 1) I wouldn't find half of the great stuff and 2) I hate programs where I can't find things where I expect them to be found.

Please Jorgen, for the next update take yourself the time it needs to just organize what's already there in a more intuitive way - it isn't that hard! (and I guess - since we now got PDC and so many other cool features with the latest beta's - that the vast majority of actual users would not feel the need to complain about that)

Cheers,
Patrik

Edit:
Did I already mention that I love XT2 and the latest update?
Last edited by kirtap910 on Fri May 25, 2007 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I say Jorgen should hire Jens as his GUI designer. Amen, :hihi:

skurken wrote:I say Jorgen should hire Jens as his GUI designer. Amen, :hihi:

Oh god no! :-o :shock:

All I'm good at is criticizing stuff... :hihi:

+1e10 :hihi:

Things should be grouped logically, and where possible available via context menus :D

Shif.
"Micro Kid speaks digi-talk.."

I agree this is getting confusing...its hard to know which functions are available and from where...right-clic menu,sequence menu,track menu or part menu?

Glue and split parts should go into part menu and right-clic menu when on parts, i agree..

And everything should be available from menus...no hidden things on keyboard shorcuts for those who are begginers or dont use shorcuts often....if not its hard to know it exists...
[-'/_-O-_\'-]

Return to “energyXT”