anybody knows a GOOD vowel/formant filter

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi all,
this time it's me who needs some help ...
i'm desperately seeking for a free vowel/formant filter, to create choir-like ahhh's and ohhh's and alike ... it has to be a seperate effect vst, no synth ...
i downloaded tobybears vowelfilter, and allthough it is surprisingly good, it's not adjustable, which is what i need ...
i also searched the kvr database, but there's not much in terms of formant/vowel filters ...
anyone knows of such a thing?
thanks in advance ...
:oops:
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

I would be curious as well. The best vowel/formant filter effect that I've personally used on the PC is part of the Korg Legacy Collection's MDE-X multi-effect plugin. It's called TalkingModulator and also includes an LFO (tempo syncable as well) frequency modulator. I'd love to find a freeware alternative.

I really wish AudioEase's plugins weren't Mac only, because their Rocket Science bundle has an awesome, high quality vowel filter effect called Roger:

http://www.audioease.com/Pages/RocketSc ... rMain.html
Last edited by Tronam on Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tone2's Filterbank has usable vowel filters, and there might be a few more commercial filter machines which offer vowel filters, can't remember right now..

apart from MHC voxfx http://www.mhc.se/software/plugins/voxfx/

edit:
wow, these are strange looking plugs
http://brb.notatruck.net/vst.html

there's a Voweleriser near the bottom of the page, though i haven't used it myself.

Jeremy Evers' Atlantis' filter effect plugin that comes with the synth package (free) has a formant filter included in its set of effects.

www.jeremyevers.com

I don't know if it does what you need, but I rather like automat's vowel filter. While it is a synth, it can be used as an effect by turning off all of the oscillators and routing the audio to its sidechain. I get best results when I am also sending midi input to automat to control the envelopes (e.g. by splitting the midi signal and sending it to both a synth feeding automat and automat). Note that I am talking about automat v0.4.2 here, not the recent automat 1 beta, which sadly seems to lack the vowel filter (or I can't find it).

contralogic's vowel synthedit prefab is great,it's a synth atm,but maybe an effect version could be made from it?
http://synthedit.audioholik.com/index.p ... tails&id=7

hey all, thanks for your support ...
i'll work off all your suggestions, feel free to come with more, though .... ;)
thanks again!
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign

Pitch/Formantshifter
-> simple-media.co.uk VocONE 1.0
-> Xoxos FormantShifter 1.0
-> Jason Omnivox Beta (discontinued)

vista wrote: -> simple-media.co.uk VocONE 1.0
vista, thatone was close, especially the fact that it's customizable ... but unfortunately i need an fx version, the osc's don't provide the necessary input signal ... :cry:
Last edited by brok landers on Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign

KarmaFX Synth can be used as an insert and has a vowel filter.

Big Tick's Angelina comes with an effect and filter combination version.

but it doesn't sound good (imo) ... that's the entire problem with all the stuff i've tried ... best so far is the tobybear one, the atlantis filter and simple-media.co.uk vocone (if thisone would be an effect only, then i think i could get some decent results) ... however, they're still way away of what i want ... i need the "ahhh-vowel" to be configurable, meaning the individual filterbands have to be adjustable in level and frequency ...
basically, what i'm trying to get is a result similar to the vp330 choir patch ... the strings i could get convincingly, at least they have the character of a stringmachine (i have samples for comparsions and i know the vp330), and basically the choir patch is the stringpatch, running through a customized filterbank, which is fix, buildt into the signalchain of the vp330 ...
so, i could get the stringmachine sound, but i up to now didn't find any filterbank/formantfilter/vowelfilter that can give me the vp330 filterbank sound ...
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign

brok landers wrote:i need the "ahhh-vowel" to be configurable, meaning the individual filterbands have to be adjustable in level and frequency ...
Which is why I suggested the Angelina FX version - Angelina has configurable formant filterbands.

One alternative would be using a stack of parametric EQs in parallel - which is essentially what a formant filter is. Had you considered this?

TobyBear has a vowel filter IIRC. Not sure if it's any good but... Here

Peace 8)
Pro-Sounds : Sound....Different

-=ToTc Owns You=-

Return to “Effects”