I've recorded an albanian band. Thrill.

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

Sometimes, for fun, I record bands or solo musicians.
This year, the idea is only acoustic sounds (classical, traditional, etc...).
Yesterday, I've recorded Trecke, an albanian band (three men).
It's a strange music, not perfect, only feeling.
Listen the two singers, at the middle of the piece, they sing like some african people.
In the studio, all the people who listened the songs while I was recording was moving. Thrill.

http://www.pompougnac-daniel.com/06tele ... _marot.mp3

I've used :
- Tracktion 1.6,
- vst > Room Reverb and Classic Equalizer
... and five mics (Audiotechnica AT 4041).

Daniel

http://www.pompougnac-daniel.com

Fantastic! I don't know a whole lot about Albanian folk music, but it sounds southern Albanian to me, a lot of the clarinet reminds me of the traditional "kaba" instrumental improvisation.
I'm guessing that other than the clarinet we're hearing a llautë and a def? The vocals are not very "African" to my ears, but sound like a very typical Albanian style.

Wnoderful stuff, thanks for sharing!

the traditional "kaba" instrumental improvisation.
Yes, it was "kaba".
hearing a llautë and a def?
Wahou ! :tu: Yes again. :)

Daniel

Damn, I guess I do remember occasional bits of useless knowledge. :D

Either way, you did a great job recording it, nice and clear, but not covered in "studio polish", it sounds perfect.
Somewhere, I've got a CD with Albanian and Macedonian music from the 1930s on it… now you've made me want to go find it again.

Hi daniel,

Thanks for sharing this!
I enjoyed it a lot!
Good recording btw :)

Reminds me of my beloved Huun Huur Tuu in case of the singing expression and the athmosphere here created.

cheers,
thom
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

thomekk wrote: Reminds me of my beloved Huun Huur Tuu in case of the singing expression and the athmosphere here created.
If you like Albanian polyphonic singing, you might want to give Ensemble Tirana a listen sometime…

If you like Albanian polyphonic singing, you might want to give Ensemble Tirana a listen sometime…
Yes, Ensemble Tirana is great.

I like this forum because people like all the musics :)

Daniel

This deserves a bump. Daniel, excellent live recording there. Until one has tried this, one cannot appreciate the difficulty in capturing the magic of a live performance like you have done here, with such exotic instruments and sounds.

Again, bumping this to the top of the list.

I also love that you recorded and mixed this with the free version of Tracktion.

Now, if I may be so bold as to make a few mix suggestions:

To my ears, the main reed instrument and vocals are biased fairly heavily towards the left channel. I expect them to be more centered, but that is just my expectation. The main vocal is centered, but the harmony part only shows up in the left ear. I would find it interesting to pan the harmony part around a bit.

So any more songs by this albanian group, or not?

:love: awesome daniel - a recording that does justice to the beautiful spirited music. as scott says any more from this group?

made my day

regards

Hi Daniel,
would you mind giving some information how you positioned the mics?

OK, thank's for your comments.

1 - Yes, Scott, you're right, the bal isn't OK. I'll work this point again. I had to do this record and mix (6 hours only, record + mix) very fast because these musicians needed the CD for the next day. A producer wanted listen them for concerts.
But I'd suffered ear (catthar >left), and the mix is maybe poor (true story !) :D

2 - Scott, Matt, There's 9 songs.
If you want I can ask to the band if I've authorization to propose these songs on the net.

3 - No-use, it was difficult to recorded these men, because they move, they dance !
At the left, perc (1 mic) and the same man sing (1 mic).
Center : the clarinet and the man sing also (1 mic).
At the right, the luth (1 mic) and the man sing (1 mic).

I've also bought a Zoom numeric recorder for another recording in the same time.

4 - for the eq, I've adjusted the medium freq. of the tambourine perc., because the sound was poor, like cardboard. For others instruments, no much eq.

I've also recorded the last week a string classical quartet. I'll post for your comment. I must do the mix. The recoding was very, very difficult, violons have a very loud sound.

Daniel

class

Mesmerising. 8)

Hello, Barnadine,

What is "mesmerising" ? :)

Daniel

Fascinating. Enthralling. Good. :tu:

Return to “Music Cafe”