What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

README - For non-programmers with great ideas

DSP, Plug-in and Host development discussion.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

VitaminD
Pick Me Pick me!

7708 posts since 11 Mar, 2002, from a state of confusion

Postby VitaminD; Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:24 am

Right. If I can create a VST prototype, I can keep going and finish the product. :shrug:
"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best." - Henry Van Dyke
antto
KVRAF

2289 posts since 4 Sep, 2006, from 127.0.0.1

Postby antto; Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:24 am

as aciddose said, that's the 90% part ;]
otherwise it may NOT work
It doesn't matter how it sounds..
..as long as it has BASS and it's LOUD!

irc.freenode.net >>> #kvr
aciddose
KVRAF

9044 posts since 7 Dec, 2004, from Vancouver, Canada

Postby aciddose; Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:26 am

yes, then do so :)

there is a huge market of synth-edit plugins for sale.

if you just wanted to have the programmer do all the design and implementation you're going to have to settle for something like 99% of the profits to the programmer, assuming they would even want to touch the idea.

as i said if you can think of existing things to assemble to create your plugin, you don't need a prototype. if you can however, why not use sync-modular and quickly assemble these parts to test them? it takes very little effort and costs you nothing.
elijahlucian
KVRist

34 posts since 6 Jan, 2010

Postby elijahlucian; Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:29 am

my idea is not an idea for a synth. or an effect. it is an arpeggiator.

how exactly do i do that in sync-modular?

not to mention that the guy's website is not even working...

I am a graphic designer, so I can develop GUI / website / videos and all marketing to go into this plugin

I will pay up front if the programmer does not want to "split profits" at the end... however I feel most programmers are like musicians in that sense: they want to own their own work.
VitaminD
Pick Me Pick me!

7708 posts since 11 Mar, 2002, from a state of confusion

Postby VitaminD; Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:33 am

That is telling the songwriter who came up with the idea, sorry you get 1% because you only came up with the song. The performer is getting 99%.

If the song writer (idea maker) could play the instruments (code audio software), they would just write the song, play the instruments and collect 100%.
"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best." - Henry Van Dyke
aciddose
KVRAF

Postby aciddose; Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:35 am

i can also charge a rate of something like $60-120 per hour depending on what the demands are. we could also agree upon a contract value with a non-refundable down-payment in advance something like 15%.

i've written complete arpeggiators from scratch.

my guess for cost would be about 10k for this project. i wouldn't accept it unless for-hire because i don't see the product being profitable. not including graphical work - you'll also need to hire an artist or do it yourself.

negotiable if you want to license pre-existing libraries.

your idea must be nuclear if you expect it to compete with the free arps already available.
elijahlucian
KVRist

Postby elijahlucian; Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:37 am

can i see these arpeggiators you've developed?
aciddose
KVRAF

Postby aciddose; Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:41 am

no. i wrote the arpeggiator for vanguard2 which was a significant extension of the features included in nexus2. it had extra capability that was not finished because the project was cancelled.

i also have several limited-feature arps implemented in various places that wouldn't interest you as all you could see would be the source, not a complete plugin.

i have an arp i plan to include in my commercial effects package which is currently WIP unreleased. yours would probably be a derivative from the existing code at first which i why i estimated only 10k, not 30k or more.

see my webpage link in sig and the effects section for a very old alpha implementation.

if you want to discuss more, let's go into private and we can post back here about how the idea works out - as an example to would-be idea people to learn from.
elijahlucian
KVRist

Postby elijahlucian; Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:50 am

sure. well i checked that alpha. and it's just a u/d arpeggiator.. not even close to what I'm talking about.

Also I couldnt get it to send midi out to anything in sonar.

nexus 2's arp is also not the same direction that I wanted to go.

in fact. there is not a single piece of software out there that does what I want in this case.

it's ok I will keep looking around to see if I can find somebody with a portfolio they can show me :)

thanks anyways. in the meantime I will just try something in synthedit and see if i can get close to a prototype.
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to DSP and Plug-in Development