Login / Register  0 items | $0.00New @ What is KVR? Submit News Advertise

README - For non-programmers with great ideas

DSP, Plug-in and Host development discussion.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

VitaminD
Pick Me Pick me!

8042 posts since 11 Mar, 2002, from a state of confusion

Postby VitaminD; Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:24 am

Right. If I can create a VST prototype, I can keep going and finish the product. :shrug:
"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best." - Henry Van Dyke
antto
KVRAF

2344 posts since 4 Sep, 2006, from 127.0.0.1

Postby antto; Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:24 am

as aciddose said, that's the 90% part ;]
otherwise it may NOT work
It doesn't matter how it sounds..
..as long as it has BASS and it's LOUD!

irc.freenode.net >>> #kvr
aciddose
KVRAF

9843 posts since 7 Dec, 2004, from Vancouver, Canada

Postby aciddose; Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:26 am

yes, then do so :)

there is a huge market of synth-edit plugins for sale.

if you just wanted to have the programmer do all the design and implementation you're going to have to settle for something like 99% of the profits to the programmer, assuming they would even want to touch the idea.

as i said if you can think of existing things to assemble to create your plugin, you don't need a prototype. if you can however, why not use sync-modular and quickly assemble these parts to test them? it takes very little effort and costs you nothing.
elijahlucian
KVRist

34 posts since 6 Jan, 2010

Postby elijahlucian; Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:29 am

my idea is not an idea for a synth. or an effect. it is an arpeggiator.

how exactly do i do that in sync-modular?

not to mention that the guy's website is not even working...

I am a graphic designer, so I can develop GUI / website / videos and all marketing to go into this plugin

I will pay up front if the programmer does not want to "split profits" at the end... however I feel most programmers are like musicians in that sense: they want to own their own work.
VitaminD
Pick Me Pick me!

8042 posts since 11 Mar, 2002, from a state of confusion

Postby VitaminD; Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:33 am

That is telling the songwriter who came up with the idea, sorry you get 1% because you only came up with the song. The performer is getting 99%.

If the song writer (idea maker) could play the instruments (code audio software), they would just write the song, play the instruments and collect 100%.
"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best." - Henry Van Dyke
aciddose
KVRAF

Postby aciddose; Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:35 am

i can also charge a rate of something like $60-120 per hour depending on what the demands are. we could also agree upon a contract value with a non-refundable down-payment in advance something like 15%.

i've written complete arpeggiators from scratch.

my guess for cost would be about 10k for this project. i wouldn't accept it unless for-hire because i don't see the product being profitable. not including graphical work - you'll also need to hire an artist or do it yourself.

negotiable if you want to license pre-existing libraries.

your idea must be nuclear if you expect it to compete with the free arps already available.
elijahlucian
KVRist

Postby elijahlucian; Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:37 am

can i see these arpeggiators you've developed?
aciddose
KVRAF

Postby aciddose; Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:41 am

no. i wrote the arpeggiator for vanguard2 which was a significant extension of the features included in nexus2. it had extra capability that was not finished because the project was cancelled.

i also have several limited-feature arps implemented in various places that wouldn't interest you as all you could see would be the source, not a complete plugin.

i have an arp i plan to include in my commercial effects package which is currently WIP unreleased. yours would probably be a derivative from the existing code at first which i why i estimated only 10k, not 30k or more.

see my webpage link in sig and the effects section for a very old alpha implementation.

if you want to discuss more, let's go into private and we can post back here about how the idea works out - as an example to would-be idea people to learn from.
elijahlucian
KVRist

Postby elijahlucian; Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:50 am

sure. well i checked that alpha. and it's just a u/d arpeggiator.. not even close to what I'm talking about.

Also I couldnt get it to send midi out to anything in sonar.

nexus 2's arp is also not the same direction that I wanted to go.

in fact. there is not a single piece of software out there that does what I want in this case.

it's ok I will keep looking around to see if I can find somebody with a portfolio they can show me :)

thanks anyways. in the meantime I will just try something in synthedit and see if i can get close to a prototype.
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to DSP and Plug-in Development