REAPER 2.004 ... Non-destructive Input Quantize & New FX

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Check it out...the midi's starting to catch up to the audio now. :)

http://reaper.fm/download.php

* editing: better alt+drag edge behaviors for snap offsets and fade lengths
* automation: envelope auto adding/arming is now on by default
* automation: new envelopes now default to armed
* midi: per-track nondestructive midi input quantize options
* midi: improved varispeed recording of midi items
* midi: fixed items at non-1.0 rates when used with tempo maps
* midi editor: quantize is now nondestructive (new actions for unquantize and freeze quantization)
* midi editor: snap fixes (inserting notes among other instances)
* midi editor: better handling of duplicate/overlapping notes
* midi editor: action: remove duplicate notes
* midi editor: action: set note ends to start of next note
* midi editor: action: quantize selected events using last setting
* media explorer: preview stops if hidden
* VST: extraneous effIdle for plugins that dont request it
* RADAR compatibility: support for the new 3.40 firmware map.txt
* ReaDelay: a flexible n-tap delay
* ReaVoice: a MIDI controlled multi pitch shifter
* ReaVocode: a modulating vocoder

Plus, all of the new goodness of v2.0:

* New pitch/timestretch modes: elastique Pro, Efficient, and SOLOIST
* Nicer looking default theme by WhiteTie (old still available via classic)
* New extended mixer views (FX inserts, sends, etc), with uber-drag and drop editing
* Performance improvements in many areas, including support for multiprocessing with UAD-1
* New ReaPitch pitch shifter plug-in, ReaTune now can use advance pitch shifter modes
* MIDI editor and playback improvements, MID file tempo map importing
* Tempo/time signature change improvements
* New automation options to make adding large amounts of automation easier
* Improved plug-in compatibility, JS enhancements (including full PDC for JS effects!)
* Tons of small fixes, refinements, and enhancements (pages and pages that won't fit here)

thats a hell of an update :shock:

Yes indeed. That sounds like a fantastic update. Some stuff that interests me for sure. Nothing I can't already do, but it shows some emphasis on some things that are more important to me.

One question though, and forgive me for not trying it. It's been one of the longest weeks of my life and I just don't have the mental strength to bother myself with doing anything real technical right now(pretty much all music production has stopped for a couple of weeks, as well as writing). But what is the purpose behind deleting duplicate notes? Is it notes on the same line? Or notes that were accidentally inserted twice with the same time and velocity?

Just curious, thanks.

Brent
My host is better than your host

Like I mentioned in the Reaper forums - i'm overwhelmed. Justin has truly outdone himself this time - if such a thing was ever possible.

remove duplicate notes removes two or more notes that are located in the same time. ex. if you have two C#4's in 01:01:00, then one of them is deleted.

Ok, that's what I thought it may be. I know it's useful, but I'm not thinking straight. I have inserted two notes before accidentally.

Thanks.

Brent

oh my gosh... this is flipping amazing.

whadaya think koolkeys...maybe my assumption about that "give it a year thing" is possibly not so far off? I mean, that's just typical moot for conversation but, still - dang. A new multi-pitch shifter, vocoder, tap delay and non-destructive midi quantization?? How freaking cool is this?

never ceases to amaze me. my license will certainly be purchased soon.

Well, I think Reaper is coming along nicely. Not perfect for me, but that's no secret. However, this update is great progress because it starts to focus on some commonly overlooked MIDI functions. Like I said, not really anything I can't do now, but it's good to see that there is focus on these things. There are a few things in Reaper that really don't sit with me. One is the MIDI editing. It just feels clunky and tacked on. But with some tweaking, it will surely become much better.

I also still have some interface issues, and many of them are just because I'm used to certain conventions and I'm very comfortable with them. So it's not necessarily anything wrong with Reaper, just not my way of working.

So there are many reasons why I won't use Reaper for my work yet. But as always(even though some don't always seem to like it), I watch closely to see where it's going. Will I ever buy a license? I don't know. It's possible that I will, and possible that I never will. But updates like this will ultimately draw me closer.

I'm the kind of guy who realizes a need and searches for an app that fulfills that need. I don't look to replace everything. But if a software does a certain function well enough to improve the way I work, I consider it. I love what I use, and I always feel my needs are met. When they aren't, I do more serious looking(like last month) until I find a way to do what I want.

Sorry, just some random thoughts, but geared to say that I'm looking for certain things to happen with Reaper, and this update is one that addresses at least a couple of the issues. I could care less about included plugins and some other stuff. Call me selfish, but I never buy software because somebody tells me it's going to be great, or that I'm missing out. I am very specific and of course it needs to fit, regardless of feature set.

In other words, Reaper doesn't fit me yet. But this update is a good step in the right direction at least.

(man, I could have summed up this post with that sentence. Sorry, waiting to desperately get off work so I can go home and try to sleep.)

Cheers.

Brent

koolkeys wrote:Ok, that's what I thought it may be. I know it's useful, but I'm not thinking straight. I have inserted two notes before accidentally.

Thanks.

Brent
I recently imported some old midi tracks into T3 and couldn't find a delete duplicates function. Have to use Phrazor or SX3 for that. Bleh!

koolkeys wrote:Well, I think Reaper is coming along nicely. Not perfect for me, but that's no secret. However, this update is great progress because it starts to focus on some commonly overlooked MIDI functions. Like I said, not really anything I can't do now, but it's good to see that there is focus on these things. There are a few things in Reaper that really don't sit with me. One is the MIDI editing. It just feels clunky and tacked on. But with some tweaking, it will surely become much better.

I also still have some interface issues, and many of them are just because I'm used to certain conventions and I'm very comfortable with them. So it's not necessarily anything wrong with Reaper, just not my way of working.

So there are many reasons why I won't use Reaper for my work yet. But as always(even though some don't always seem to like it), I watch closely to see where it's going. Will I ever buy a license? I don't know. It's possible that I will, and possible that I never will. But updates like this will ultimately draw me closer.

I'm the kind of guy who realizes a need and searches for an app that fulfills that need. I don't look to replace everything. But if a software does a certain function well enough to improve the way I work, I consider it. I love what I use, and I always feel my needs are met. When they aren't, I do more serious looking(like last month) until I find a way to do what I want.

Sorry, just some random thoughts, but geared to say that I'm looking for certain things to happen with Reaper, and this update is one that addresses at least a couple of the issues. I could care less about included plugins and some other stuff. Call me selfish, but I never buy software because somebody tells me it's going to be great, or that I'm missing out. I am very specific and of course it needs to fit, regardless of feature set.

In other words, Reaper doesn't fit me yet. But this update is a good step in the right direction at least.

(man, I could have summed up this post with that sentence. Sorry, waiting to desperately get off work so I can go home and try to sleep.)

Cheers.

Brent
i hear what your saying. sound way to go about it.

I s'pose i'm kinda "putting my bet" on reaper by getting a license. I think it is just going to be fun seeing what stuff justin can crank out with all the future releases. i mean being that this is barely version 2.004 (that's a goodly amount of decimal places...) and already has this amount of add-ons, well - i don't know. I think by the time version 2.99 rolls around...i should have everything i could have ever hoped for...

Well I didn't mull it over nor did I sit on the fence on this one. A few weeks ago, I bought a non commercial license. Why you might ask? Well, me being an old school IT Dawg, I remember when Winamp first hit the scene. It really was all about the bare bones y'all yet Justin and his team kept waxin' it and look at what it is today. Why hell, I'm keeping my lil' phatty ipod nano all nice n' synched with my music collection using Winamp. So you know from the success of winamp, Reaper has a real future.

Besides, the way Justin is waxin' the Reaper, pretty soon he's going to have most of the features implemented that the majority of musicians will want to have. In fact I would say that once the midi input/swing quantize is all worked out and runnin', everything implemented afterwards will just be cake.

At least that is, for me. 8)

- Juanito

damn, is that guy even a human being? :hihi:

is reaper good for making trance music.. ?? i tired orion and its ok but it sounds tacky, can you make a song on orion sound like a armin van uuren or above and beyonn song... ?? sorry to be so naivie but ive been doing it for hours on orion and the sounds just sound tacky.... tar guys

One of the main reasons I bought a non-commercial licence for Reaper was because my tired computer (eMachines 330 1.0GHz, 128MB) can run it. Many (excellent) DAWs demand a powerful computer for them to run smoothly but Reaper doesn't - though a whizz-bang 999GHz PC would help. :)

The efficient coding, constant updates, public beta-testing, accessible developers, and LOW price are all part of Reaper's attractive philosophy - but the fact I can run it on a rubber band is the clincher for me. 8)

Reaper allows a newbie like me to explore this wonderful world of electronic music. I'm slowly learning how to use the different functions and each time I do my music improves. What surprises me about Reaper is that so often I wonder if it can do something - and it does. For £20 (now £25). On a slow computer. And there are lots of updates and improvements to come.

It's like watching Stargate. :D

But that won't stop me from buying a new computer next week. :hihi:
Read reviews of free netlabel/Creative Commons music at Catching The Waves, a most amateurish free music blog. @catchingthewave

The best thing about reaper IMO is that they actively make sure it runs on Linux with Wine.

It's currently the best DAW program on Linux.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”