3am - Monocyl5 (I tried to do dub but I ated it)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I picked up my bass with the intention of laying down a really stoney dub track but it came out like this...

monocyl5

The mix is pretty raw and when I mixed down I forgot that the reverb send was muted but I think it sounds pretty good this way. The little piano needs to stand out more but meh...

Happy Holidays!
3am

You are good bass player. mix is kinda Lo Fi. dirty, organic sounding. I liked it. its a nice change from all this digital we feed our heads with.

Thanks for saying so but I'm not really a very good bass player... did you hear all the fret noise? I didn't do that on purpose, fortunately I can make it sound like I did it on purpose. :hihi:

It is just as digital (if not more) than what we feed our heads with but very shortly I will be the proud owner of an Otari 1/4" 2 track! Good bye high frequencies!

Thanks for listening.

what is an otari 1/4 2 track?

is that an analog tape deck? r u getting a real 2 real?

ckatrun411 wrote:what is an otari 1/4 2 track?

is that an analog tape deck? r u getting a real 2 real?
Indeed, it's waiting for me at my local electronic repair shop.

This one isn't mine but to give you an idea...

Image :love:

Then once the housing market stabilizes and I can buy a house, one of these will be going in my garage...

Image :love: :love: :love:

Luckily the Jewish side of my family has helped me make sure that my Irish sensibilites don't interfere with my finances. :lol:

wild but do they even make tape anymore? is BASF still in bizz? they made the best tape. and that is a great desk. Man oh man, you are going to have ripping analog greatness going on.

ckatrun411 wrote:wild but do they even make tape anymore? is BASF still in bizz? they made the best tape. and that is a great desk. Man oh man, you are going to have ripping analog greatness going on.
The studio I worked at we always used Ampex... I have a stack of reels in a sealed box in my closet.

so you are sending vst's and your hardware through the desk? and recording it on tape? then you are going to dump it back into protools?

hmm, lots of pro tools HD studio's still have reel 2 reels for drums... they get done on tape still for lots of bands, it works great, you get a terrific sound... you will really be able to evolve a sound with tape nowadays...

ckatrun411 wrote:so you are sending vst's and your hardware through the desk? and recording it on tape? then you are going to dump it back into protools?

hmm, lots of pro tools HD studio's still have reel 2 reels for drums... they get done on tape still for lots of bands, it works great, you get a terrific sound... you will really be able to evolve a sound with tape nowadays...
Nope, I'm going to mix to tape then bounce that to my tascam CD recorder (in storage). I can't mix worth shit inside a computer but get me in front of a desk and I'm much more comfortable (oh, how I miss the Neve VR60 I used in room A where I used to work). I don't really care about recording to tape or digital, I'll probably end up getting an HD24 or something eventually but I want to mix on a console!

All the sessions I've done since my old bosses place went under have been done with a ProjectMix I/O or a FW 1814. I don't like mixing for bands with a control surface, I can do my own stuff that way but I don't like to. What it comes down to is my dream; I want to have my own "studio". The primary reason I make music is to keep my chops as an engineer up. Once I have space to build a studio I want to focus on recording other people.

awesome.
love the glitchgroove first part, then (up to about 5min) ya spun the dial on the tuner... and every station is tuned to justin3am remix/deconstruction of monocyl5 :-o
really nice and exploratory, Sir. you ALWAYS make it sound so simple...and it probabaly is for YOU :wink:

This was pretty cool, very unusual. Best of luck with your dream studio, justin3am, you certainly deserve it.

Wow, I was wondering where my Irishness had steered me wrong!

I grabbed the track but don't have phones on me today, mate.

Love this! I want a bass so bad...

This is completely up my alley tho - down tempo and full of oddness, beautiful grains and glitches, tasty noises - certainly maintains the stoney objective, if not in a dub way.
Image Image

Justin, this is good! I will be using this as yet another source of inspiration. It's that organic feel combined with the glitches. Lovely! I wish the bass was a bit more down in the gutter.. and by that I mean, that kinda classic dubbed out bass that makes a room shake with the lows. You feel it more so that hear it. Anyways, awesome as usual. :)
ModuLR / Radio

justin3am wrote: The primary reason I make music is to keep my chops as an engineer up. Once I have space to build a studio I want to focus on recording other people.

I fell asleep, but... we are definitely at a point in time where:

There is a big fat window of opportunity open right now. People who can record and produce well, can certainly help bands, and others make names for themselves on the net.

and in general. Its a wide open playing field right now. but you just have to be consistent, and put the positive energy out there....

Return to “Music Cafe”