Outstanding bugs in 3.0.4.6

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just wanting to generate a user-reported list of outstanding T3 bugs, if anybody wants to contribute, please do so, define the problem exactly and preferably describe the situation within which the bug occurs (no feature requests please):

Reported so far:

* Inability to drag and resize (enlarge) left and right boundries of collection clips under some circumstances in larger multitrack projects (where all tracks are part of one base folder track). Containing clips can be resized by multiple select and drag, but not by dragging the collection boundry. - independentfac

* Plugs with latency on master buss render alternative track outputs unusable and freeze up engine. If I put something with latency like Elephant on the master buss, then decide to send a track to an outboard unit, the T3 engine becomes unresponsive and stutters and stutters usually requiring killing from task manager. This happens even if the plugin is disabled with T3 but still present on the buss. - independentfac

* Flac engine used for lossless compression on project export. Results in 88khz audio not being encoded (tracktion crashes the export function) and 32-bit audio doesn't get compressed. This is because there is not support for 88khz or 32bit audio in the flac algorithms. Could easily be fixed by changing to another open source lossless audio project such as Wavpack. - metamorphosis

* If you select, copy and paste two selection clips, from the second pasting on Tracktion adds the tracks from the second selection clip to the first one. - Axl

* Sluggish gui on Mac in the midi editor and some faders, especially in bigger edits - while E-to-E is on. - Axl

* When you grab a control in the GUI of any WaveArts plug-in and then let go of the mouse button, the mouse is still attached to the control in question. This means that, with no buttons pressed, as you move the mouse cursor over the GUI, the control that you first clicked on remains active and follows every move that you make. - Spitfire31

* Various Mac plugin problems/broken: link - beno

* Collection clips and regular clips mutually-exclusive when doing selection - axl

* Turning off autosave does not work on some machines - link

* 3.0.4.6 cannot open some old projects, for some users - link

* Gui disappears in some circumstances - link - Krzysiek

* Navigating from the edit to the settings tab and back always pseudo-selects the global tempo curve - link - unforgiven909

* Navigating from the edit to the settings tab and back shifts track record inputs to other tracks -link - unforgiven909

* I've encountered numerous issues with the Mackie channel strip plugins. The most obvious are drawing issues...those LPF curves just never show up. I've also had issues with the compressor behaving unpredictably - going from little output to way too much output when disabled/enabled, and seldom delivering the proper levels. -link - unforgiven909

* Crashing when cntl-v pasting control curves -link

m@
Last edited by metamorphosis on Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:41 am, edited 11 times in total.

To me, the most annoying issues with T3 on my Macbook Pro are the still slow gui in the midi editor and with some faders and the broken copy/paste functions with collection clips.

Since I just found out that I can get a double discount for Live 7 as a teacher and Live Lite owner the broken midi editor won't bother me anymore in the future. But I'd like to properly use collection clips.

Axl

I think all the bugs in T3 are outstanding. As a matter of fact, the bugs in T3 have the ability to astound, and annoy like no other bugs I have ever seen. I totally appreciate this thread, not only does it show Mackie can give us a product with incredible bug value, and bug design. It also shows the user's willingness to place those bugs far above the rest. Yes, the bugs in T3 are outstanding indeed.

regarding the sluggish midi editing on mac - try turning e-to-e off - this will help somewhat (not entirely but makes it useable imo). just fyi I have reported this problem to the authorities..

oh and the copy-paste collection bug as well.

PC 3.0.4.6

Inability to drag and resize (enlarge) left and right boundries of collection clips under some circumstances in larger multitrack projects (where all tracks are part of one base folder track). Containing clips can be resized by multiple select and drag, but not by dragging the collection boundry.

p.s thanks for fixing the collection clip renaming deletes files bug Beno :tu:
Last edited by independentfactory on Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PC 3.0.4.6

Plugs with latency on master buss render alternative track outputs unusable and freeze up engine. If I put something with latency like Elephant on the master buss, then decide to send a track to an outboard unit, the T3 engine becomes unresponsive and stutters and stutters usually requiring killing from task manager. This happens even if the plugin is disabled with T3 but still present on the buss.
IIRs wrote:Solafide has it right (and yes, it bothers me too!)

Except its not a bug, its intended to work like that. I reckon it qualifies as Tracktion's goofiest feature...

Basically what happens is: if you have several output pairs enabled and you add an effect to the master section, what you are actually doing is adding several instances of that plugin (one for each output pair) which all share the same settings / gui.

Of course it needs to be changed, but it isn't a bug because Jules intended it to work that way. (I wonder what he was smoking at the time?)

PC 3.0.4.6

Condition: projects on external drive.
If clips are copied and pasted from another project into current edit (read not imported into current project list first), and then T3 is started with external drive not attached....
next time project is loaded (with ext drive now reattached) the pasted clips are 'file missing'.

ok, not a bug, more of the way it works but ~ maybe pasting clips into an edit from another project should auto add the files to the current project list imports or something??

Does anyone know if the 'not all automation always picked up unless the transport set to 0:0:0:0 before export edit (bounce to disk) is initiated' is still present?

IF.

Hmmm ? No bugs here with any of the releases. I better knock on wood.

Just to iterate this, can anyone contributing please describe the bug accurately, in entirety. Otherwise there's no point.
Thanks, Matt

Axl wrote:To me, the most annoying issues with T3 on my Macbook Pro are the still slow gui in the midi editor and with some faders and the broken copy/paste functions with collection clips.

Since I just found out that I can get a double discount for Live 7 as a teacher and Live Lite owner the broken midi editor won't bother me anymore in the future. But I'd like to properly use collection clips.

Axl
Hi Axl - can you provide some detail on these bugs so I can add it to the list?
I don't have time to go chasing through the forum looking up stuff-
Cheers,
Matt
Last edited by metamorphosis on Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Time for my contribution ;)
Flac engine used for lossless (2:1) compression on project export. Results in 88khz audio not being encoded (tracktion crashes the export function) and 32-bit audio doesn't get compressed. This is because there is not support for 88khz or 32bit audio in the flac algorithms. Could easily be fixed by changing to another open source lossless audio project such as Wavpack or APE, etc.

PC 3.0.4.6

Plugs with latency on master buss render alternative track outputs unusable and freeze up engine. If I put something with latency like Elephant on the master buss, then decide to send a track to an outboard unit, the T3 engine becomes unresponsive and stutters and stutters usually requiring killing from task manager. This happens even if the plugin is disabled with T3 but still present on the buss.

IIRs wrote:
Solafide has it right (and yes, it bothers me too!)

Except its not a bug, its intended to work like that. I reckon it qualifies as Tracktion's goofiest feature...

Basically what happens is: if you have several output pairs enabled and you add an effect to the master section, what you are actually doing is adding several instances of that plugin (one for each output pair) which all share the same settings / gui.

Of course it needs to be changed, but it isn't a bug because Jules intended it to work that way. (I wonder what he was smoking at the time?)
As much as I love Tracktion, using outboard effects is a nightmare with it for the reasons mentioned above.

Also the weirdest of them all IMHO is that what ever effect is on the master section is applied to the output that is suppose to be bypassing it.

For example if you have a compressor on the master out section that goes to outputs 1 and 2 and then you are sending your reverb signal on outputs 2 and 3. The signal going to your reverb unit is compressed on the way out, and then of course again when it comes back in on your return track. One of those things that should have been fixed years ago.

I say this not to be negative, as 3.0.4 is finally rock solid on a PC and I love and use regularly the new features of T3 - but being able to use outboard gear in an edit should be straight forward as it is in all other hosts I've used.

Does anyone know if the 'not all automation always picked up unless the transport set to 0:0:0:0 before export edit (bounce to disk) is initiated' is still present?

I would love to know this as well. It has become a religious practice for me to save the edit and rewind to the beginning of the edit before render. I'm not brave enough to attempt to render without doing this. I don't like repeated burns!

Return to “Tracktion”