Laptop DJing, soundcard help please...

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I forgot to mention that the Indigo DJ is not very good for long DJ sets as it does and can overhead. The fact that a large portion of the card resides inside the laptop plus it rarely receives any fan or cool air makes for a meltdown situation. I've personally seen them get so hot that the jacks break, the tiny head case splits open or the audio just clips out (luckily there were CD decks on site :) )..

If your a serious DJ planning on doing long sets I'd opt for a breakout box over the PCMCIA option. You should also go for cases for everything too!

I can (if you ever need it) repair melted and broken Indigo's (IO, DJ & discontinued OO's) ;)..

L

Thanks for all of the replies. I'll consider all of them before I buy one. Good thing my tax return hasn't shown up yet or I might have already caved in a bought one.

U46DJ for me - nice and cheap and does everything it needs to - 6in 4out, I use it with DJ Decks and Torq LE. Picked it up on Thomann for about £59, version 2 is out now. Drivers so-so, but never gave me any problems in XP.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/esi_u46_se.htm

:)

Lagrange wrote:I forgot to mention that the Indigo DJ is not very good for long DJ sets as it does and can overhead. The fact that a large portion of the card resides inside the laptop plus it rarely receives any fan or cool air makes for a meltdown situation. I've personally seen them get so hot that the jacks break, the tiny head case splits open or the audio just clips out (luckily there were CD decks on site :) )..

If your a serious DJ planning on doing long sets I'd opt for a breakout box over the PCMCIA option. You should also go for cases for everything too!

I can (if you ever need it) repair melted and broken Indigo's (IO, DJ & discontinued OO's) ;)..

L
that happened to me with that card... I can confirm first hand :(
It's not what you use, it's how you use it...

Lagrange wrote:You could always try Traktor DJ studio. It separates the cue & output internally so no need for hardware.
Think about it ... you still need at least 4 outputs ... 2 for main out/2 for cue mix (the cue mix can be your laptops headphone out).

Oh I know now what I meant. You can RECORD un Traktor with only one out and it will not pick up the cue :D.. My bad..

L

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”