Why I just sold my Receptor after 2 years (+ random musings)

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Many of you here know me. I've spent a LOT of time on this forum over the last 2 plus years after buying my original RevB in Oct of 2005. I had it updated to RevC after a year, and then was one of the first here to have Komplete4 installed - doing beta testing for Muse. I've been a major "fanboy" of the Receptor, and hence I thought it only fair to post a brief update on why I sold my Receptor.

If you don't care, then don't read on...it won't hurt my feelings ;-)

Really the main reason I got out now was that I recently updated my studio computer to a monster quad-core system from ADK. It runs more plugins than I EVER thought possible...there is no way anything I could reasonably compose, record and mix will overtax this machine (at least not with my current line-up of instruments). I don't even freeze tracks anymore, and I used to freeze almost everything before final mixdown.

I bought the Receptor at a time when my studio computer was a Dell P4 3.2 HT that was just not nearly powerful enough for what I wanted to do, so I thought the "blade approach" would be good. Plus the added bonus of being able to use Receptor live (which I have three whole times, I only play out once or twice a year!).

So, really it's just that I don't NEED a Receptor anymore (and I found a buyer that does, is going to primarily use it live) and I thought I'd get out now while I could get a decent amount of cash for my unit.

Now, all that said, I must say that I have been pretty disappointed with the rate of advancement that Muse has produced in two years. I think the financial reality is such that they cannot grow their staff enough to make progress on OS updates and plugin receptorization fast enough to keep us here happy...and I think most of us are reasonably patient people. But I hope this changes, and I hope they keep at it, because they are some of the NICEST people I have EVER encountered in ANY field, must less the music-gear industry. Torin, Farhan, Brian, Rick, Dan... all of them. Just GREAT guys who genuinely believe in what they do, and believe in supporting their customers. This is SUCH a rare thing these days too.

On the negative side, let's face it, the hardware platform itself is looking very underpowered compared to the latest crop of dual and quad core machines. With quad-core laptops probably only a year or less away from the mainstream, I think the current Receptor hardware is going be looking increasingly underpowered and probably loose the battle to laptops for live use, unless they can manage to produce a very serious new Receptor model (perhaps with 4 cores, 64-bit OS so that more than 4GB of memory can be addressed, and multiple/larger drives for streaming samples better).

Lastly, and this is a personal failing, with something like Receptor in my studio, I simply spend WAY TOO MUCH time hacking, tweaking, etc, when I should be trying to compose and such. I'm just such a gadget and computer geek (IT professional by day) that I cannot resist. So, divesting myself of this unit was also a "self-improvement" tactic, and so far it's working...I am spending more time composing.

Anyway, I do STILL believe in this product. If folks continue to PM me with questions (like happened just yesterday) I will continue to help people out with their receptor. I have met a lot of great people here, from all over the world, and that's been a really good "community" experience. The quality of the threads here in the Receptor forum is SO FAR ABOVE the rest of KVR it's not even funny! (practially "Troll free"!)

I want to say THANK YOU to all you receptor-heads that have helped ME out and participated in our lively debates, bitch-sessions, and general geeking out over this platform.

ROCK ON!

John Hagewood
Hybernation Music
Nashville, TN USA

Hybernation wrote: and I found a buyer that does, is going to primarily use it live.
and that's where the RECEPTOR beats everything else out there on the market.
there's nothing better & more comfortable/flexible for live-musicians IMO.

personally, I never want to have a laptop, interface and such on stage again.. it's jut a mess...

with RECEPTOR in my rack, I just plug in a midi-cable and it's ready to go... :love:

cheers
robert ;)

I also recently got a Quad core too and it was not even expensive, a do it yourself package for about €800.
How much was a Receptor again?
And yes, it all I was hoping for and more in the power department - runs my songs with all VSTi's and FX in about 15-25% CPU load without freezing any tracks.
Receptor seems like a nice gadget and all but it has always been out of my budget.
So right now I'm more than satisfied to be able to work with MUSIC, not optimizing my use of instruments and FX, turning down playback quality etc. Choosing VSTi's depending on CPU consumption, not quality :?
No more of that, thank you Intel!

Probably a pretty good move. I'm still sort of satisfied with Receptor and see a place for it in live performance, and minimally in the studio, but it's not really a tool I see replacing anything of mine to be honest.

It fits a particular need really well for me, but that is when I am performing live in a band that plays a consistent set list, and I have the time to program the receptor. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of that kind of gig that pays decent enough to invest the time. It's hard to use in my other gigs, since we have 4 or 5 guys with a beer in one hand in between every song figuring out what song's next and what key, or learning one quickly from the sax player, then taking a swig while the song counts off .. it's not very good in that environment for me, but to be fair neither is a laptop or anything that doesn't produce it's own sounds immediately.

So basically, it's been over a year and a half that I've owned it, it took a year to just recently got the NI stuff working (which is why I bought it .. to use NI live), and it is pretty underpowered, but still useful.

So for me, if Muse can just get Arturia stuff working (at LEAST the stuff that doesn't require the dongle), and it handles that well enough, it'll have a place in my rig .. at least one or two configurations of it anyway.

Unfortunately, for the price I've paid in the hardware, license conversions of stuff I already owned, RAM upgrades and shipping/support for the NI stuff, it is FAR from any measurable ROI for me, and I think I would have done better with a laptop. The big plus on receptor's side is putting it easily in a rack .. that allows me to squeeze it into tight club gigs without worrying about it getting knocked over or beer spilled on it. I wouldn't bother bringing the laptop to a gig like that so Receptor lets me access VSTs for those gigs which is great.

so what's it all mean? Well I don't typically sell gear, I collect it, but if I didn't, I'd probably be selling it too, if I hadn't already (seriously thought about it last fall) - but I can still see enough advantage to keep it, but I know it's gonna be a dinosaur very soon, and it's use will be determined more on if I want to be bothered dragging a 4sp rack to a gig in addition to just a stand-alone workstation board that could do just fine.

FWIW, your posts are the type of posts that make KVR a worthwhile read.

I'd be interested in your new computer rig (specs).

Myself I bought a rack server style Xeon 2.4 x3220, 4 gig (up to 8), 4 hard drives, TI chipsets, MOTU 828 MK II, etc. I'll start loading software this weekend on it.

I plan on keeping a Receptor. I like the pretty green face :)

gizmostatic wrote: when I am performing live in a band that plays a consistent set list, and I have the time to program the receptor.
in this case you MUST have a RECEPTOR ;)

I'm doing mainly show-productions/tribute shows and that stuff.
and I can't imagine to do productions like that without my baby (goin' steady since Aug, 2004 and has never disappointed me yet :D

for one of my shows I'm handling a 120minutes live-production with 1 receptor only ! no external hardware synths or whatever.
1 receptor and 1 keyboard !

of course, it required programming and tweaking in advance (which can be done damn quick though !).
but actually, this is the fun-part in terms of preparations ;)

best
robert

Speaking of processing power for live use, I wonder how the receptor stacks up against the OpenLabs Neko, this has a quadcore processor, 4 GB ram...

Robert Karasek wrote:
gizmostatic wrote: when I am performing live in a band that plays a consistent set list, and I have the time to program the receptor.

and I can't imagine to do productions like that without my baby (goin' steady since Aug, 2004 and has never disappointed me yet :D
agreed .. that situation I have is a Who tribute band, which i used to do with just a Motif and a PC2, but adding the Receptor and an Axiom 61 has been awesome! I can't even imagine doing 'Tommy' without the B4, and all the samples on the Motif was a nightmare, but in Kontakt .. so easy. The only reason the Motif is still on the gig is for sequencing and one particular sound I made to do the violin solo on 'Baba' .. that's it.

Unfortunately my time to program is severely limited now that I just had a baby daughter - but at least it's for the best possible reason! :)

Still praying to get Moog Modular, Arp 2600 and CS80v soon .. that will complete that machine and I'll just leave it as is.

Hey Hybernation - thanks for all your input to this forum - you have helped me a lot - your reasoning on Receptor is right on - great good luck to you with your new gear -

For me, the Receptor is really working right now. Power it on and it loads up a fully tweaked, complicated multi that really works for me - that alone is worth the price of admission. One button press on a control surface and its ready to do something else. I'm loving it. But you sure are right about the possibility of Receptor getting behind hardware-wise.

thanks again

Mark

Robert Karasek wrote:

for one of my shows I'm handling a 120minutes live-production with 1 receptor only ! no external hardware synths or whatever.
1 receptor and 1 keyboard !

of course, it required programming and tweaking in advance (which can be done damn quick though !).
but actually, this is the fun-part in terms of preparations ;)

best
robert
Hmm, this is where the receptor makes me nervous. I had a few show stoppers with the receptor. Random resets during gigs. The power supply failed. Losing previously loaded material upon reboot. Just not booting up at all. It made me very nervous using it live and i am doubtful as to whether i will use it again for tours. To me, a laptop running VSTi Host seems more stable. The main thing bout the receptor i liked was the quick bootup. Not much use though if it keeps resetting. Anyway, you need to bring a laptop with you on the road to program the receptor so you have to ask why bring it in the first place. We mainly use Kontakt, so maybe our problems were related to that. Unfortunately, samplers are a bit thin as far as what will run on the receptor.

James

Hybernation wrote:Many of you here know me. I've spent a LOT of time on this forum over the last 2 plus years after buying my original RevB in Oct of 2005. I had it updated to RevC after a year, and then was one of the first here to have Komplete4 installed - doing beta testing for Muse. I've been a major "fanboy" of the Receptor, and hence I thought it only fair to post a brief update on why I sold my Receptor.

If you don't care, then don't read on...it won't hurt my feelings ;-)

John Hagewood
Hybernation Music
Nashville, TN USA
Hi Hyb,
thanks for all of your Receptorizing applications and solvings!
I just bought another used Receptor unit because mine is perfect for the gig i play in, so just want to double my sound power and flexibility (i essentially use Receptor for live).

Thanks again and all of my best wishes.

NL3 - PGi

Hi Jon/Hyber,

I completely understand your reasons to sell, and frustrations with Receptor.

For me, I finally replaced my DAW with a new 8-core Mac, and I am finding very little reason to augment the processing of this machine with an external box.

I don't find that my 'live rig' requirements change much over time, and Receptor is mostly relevant here. Still, Receptor is slightly underpowered to run an entire rig, so there is a bit of a concern here for me. Also, when you look at the newest breed of 'Live' hosts (like Apple's Main Stage), Receptor's usability looks at least a generation behind.

Still, I have 2 receptors - and I may only need one - given my recent shifting of processing power.

Regards,
Kevin L

Im a new user, I bought the Pro Jr to use Ivory live, as my recording rig works just fine..much to my dismay, I cannot get Ivory to sound good after trying a multitude of different speaker cabs and configs..am going to try a few different cabs this week, although there arent many more left to try, at least major mftrs products...so mabey my quest to have an actual piano on my gigs wasnt such a great idea..
As far as the Pro Jr, its a fine unit, well built, it certainly looks rugged, but if I cant get this to sound the way I want, I may be selling it also...
The unit you purchased is great, and Im glad to hear that u can do a lot w/it...
Im still using a G5 ppc, yet it works fantastic..good luck w/it.

A.

Try 2 Bose PS1's and attach 2 subs to each. I tried many cabs and nothing compared sound wise.

I use one Bose PS1 for a stage monitor amp and it works great. I play in a few different show bands and the Receptor's new snapshot feature makes it so I can load the multi for the band, then simply turn one knob and have instant access to everything I need for a particular show. I have an amazing piano with Ivory, a B4 that does a great Hammond with lots of presets, and a killer horn section custom made out of various layered samples. I'll always be happy playing live with the receptor. Plus, I have it midi'd to a Yamaha S80 as a controller so I've got a backup in case the unthinkable Receptor crash happens.

Return to “Muse Research and Development”