I wonder why Magix are so stubborn to fix varieverb?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

to stop the crashes? Just tried the demo again in Sonar7.02. Instant crash. Seems ok in cubase. As i recall it crashed reaper and a couple of other hosts too. Why is Sascha so stubborn in fixing this? It sounds fantastic and I would like to buy it but why should I buy an unstable plugin? It's pissing me off.

It's pissing me off.
You? Surely not, Theo?

:hihi:

I've not heard of Varieverb - is it coded by Sascha Eversmeier? Now that really would pique my interest. (He always used to be very accessible and responsive...things are always different when you work for an employer though...).

You can get Varieverb separately from the host, I presume? Hmmmm...I'd already decided to buy CSR, but I'll have to go have a listen to Sascha's offering first. Still gotta love his freebie offerings - classics, the lot of them.

yes. varieverb has an uncanny ability to be able to sit well in the mix, just superb.

But to be wanting to buy this for over a year and waiting for a simple bugfix is frustrating. He reminds me of crysonic tbh.

So, no problems at all with the demo in Cubase? (I use Cubase, so it might be OK for me personally...)

well it seems ok in C4. I use both cubase and Sonar so i'd want it to work with both. The demo can be fully activated by the way if you buy a key.. Spend some time with it at first it seems "ok" but you need to dig a little, it's really REALLy good. but picking this over CSR would be a very difficult choice as they are both superb. honestly, they complement eachother very well.

I didn't realise about this plugin either, though I read a review of some of the other standalone Magix plugs I believe. Does it/they require a dongle?

No it doesn't. I think it's lovely too and if I didn't have Virsyn reflect I'd buy it (though some of the other fx are buggy too - 2 even have the same ID which makes them unusable in KORE). I don't have the CSR but on my Scope PC I have the Scope plugin it was based on and they are very different things - the Variverb has a very sweet and musical sound whearas the CRS seems cleaner and more open but I find the Variverb more pleasant to the ears if less clinical. However I prefer Reflect overall as it can do both.

Cheers aMUSEd - I'll check out the virsyn one too then :tu:

the virsyn one is also good. in fact i have spent much time this week doing heavy reverb comparisons. It seems the only ones worth mentioning are AAR, CSR, Reflect and Varieverb. As far as algorithmic reverbs i mean. All the others are middle of the road (including the much overhyped breverb) and some downright crap ones.

ttoz wrote:to stop the crashes? Just tried the demo again in Sonar7.02. Instant crash. Seems ok in cubase. As i recall it crashed reaper and a couple of other hosts too. Why is Sascha so stubborn in fixing this? It sounds fantastic and I would like to buy it but why should I buy an unstable plugin? It's pissing me off.
Did you tell Sascha/Samplitude about the bug?

I have the version that comes with Samp, not the vst but it doesn't crash. If you seen sascha's presence here you know that he would never refuse to fix something. I will post a link to this thread at Magix forums, but "refuse" imo is a bit strong. I have never heard anyone complain about any of his plugs, they are all brilliant and sascha obviously takes a lot of pride in his work.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I seem to recall him saying something about working on new versions.

My guess is that the Samp teams preferred way of working is not to release incremental mini fixes all the time (like say Reaper/eXt team do) but rather to take longer on creating a fuller and more complete update (don't the Cubase team do something similar?)

done, link posted in the appropriate forum at Magix
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

bduffy wrote:
ttoz wrote:to stop the crashes? Just tried the demo again in Sonar7.02. Instant crash. Seems ok in cubase. As i recall it crashed reaper and a couple of other hosts too. Why is Sascha so stubborn in fixing this? It sounds fantastic and I would like to buy it but why should I buy an unstable plugin? It's pissing me off.
Did you tell Sascha/Samplitude about the bug?
sorry but i posted about this months ago and Sascha replied here as well as other people's posts about the crashes, he is well aware of them there is no need to ask magix for support when the coder himself knows the problems. I am not imagining them they are real problems and it's a shame cause the products are all very high quality sounding.

Hi guys,

first of all, thanks Hink, for letting me know. I usually monitor kvr regularly, but I'm constantly quite loaded with stuff, that any web appearance gets shifted from normal day-job time into 'spare time' (something I don't seem to have right now).

On the VariVerb issue:
I know I owe the VST users an update. We've updated the Samplitude/Sequoia code branch a while ago, so these users don't have any crash issues or other bugs in relation to the 'unbundled'/seperately available versions.
I might have to stress that there is no political decision or strategy involved here. It's just by random that the VST branch takes longer. I simply didn't have the time yet.
Moreover, we could have released the current Sam/Seq code status as VST any time, but I thought, why not put some new stuff into it. At the Frankfurt Messe, I've already shown a 'secret' VST version to some people, which includes even more stuff than the Samplitude one already covers. So, the next round will probably come for the benefit of the VST-only users. This also includes some fixes that occurred lately with Samplitude users (no biggies btw, but I addressed that too).

You might ask for a time schedule. I can't give you one right now. I estimate getting back to these VSTs around late June/early July, but that's still vague. Things are already doing fine with VV, but I need to invest some time for testing and such.

I can assure you, I take these things seriously. It's the contrary of being stubborn (which is inadequate if you don't know people, btw.). I already invest far more time than some people could imagine. I always do work my ass off behind the scenes. But I'm already running at full speed.

That's all I have to say for now.
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

Return to “Effects”