6 lessons I've learned in 9 years producing digital music

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just put up a blog post on 6 lessons I've learned from producing free digital music: http://www.generalfuzz.net/blog/?p=271

I'd love to hear what other people who've been producing music for a while have learned.

Thanks,
GF
find your flow, eight albums of mellow beats: www.generalfuzz.net

good post dude, interesting toughts(i came to the same conclusions too)

Right on! Especially about "poppy". @work, will check out your albums when I get home. Looking foward to it.

cheers!

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

Nice article, I tend to agree with your points.

This is a brilliant post. Every once in a while a get a little fed up with KVR and then someone with something special to share reminds us of why we come back here again and again. Thanks for sharing this. YOu've made my day. - Scott Harris

#1: absolutely. In fact, I don't even care about other people's music as much as my own.

#2: also very true.

#3: I hate promotion. Ugh. I hate it so much that I have given up any pretense of trying to make money with music. You don't want to know how long it took me to bother with a MySpace page.

#4: even people who say they're excited about your next release and will definitely buy it when they see you next, won't.

#5: sometimes my music is weird enough that I have to listen to it several times to get it. And that's the way it should be. Which goes back to #3.

#6: also very true, and now I feel guilty :)

I learned it's a big ocean full of people making music and trying to be heard.
Putting way more effort into promoting themselves etc.

Best to just keep it a hobby and leave them out there like lawn decorations so people can look at em when they drive by

for me anyway

foosnark wrote: #3: I hate promotion. Ugh. I hate it so much that I have given up any pretense of trying to make money with music. You don't want to know how long it took me to bother with a MySpace page.
Hahahah, this sounds like me too! I keep saying I'm going to actually get this thing going...usually just end up working on music; I think there's a vicious circle formed...

cheers!

man, I love your music!! and this great post and subsequent article drew me to it so, there ya go! You've promoted your music in the most roundabout way :) Now imagine that?! :wink:

Brilliant. Almost 'too true'.

My favorite story is of a co-worker who's cd player broke with my cd in it, so they had to listen to it all day on repeat. The next day he told me never to stop writing music.
This remark appealed to me particularly.

It goes to show what the value is of taking the time to get acquainted with music.

For a listener, that is.

Brilliant. great post. I relate to very much of it. I'm going to download your music... I'm not a huge downtempo guy but I'm gonna check it out. But that blog post is great (I'm giving positive feedback - at least on the blog). I totally relate to the part about people collect data and don't necessary listen to it - I do it too. I've always felt that the difference between a famous artist and a no name artist is often little more than the fact that people will give the famous name artist more listens (chances) and become more familiar with it as a result. The songs aren't any better often.

can't stop now, but just tagging for a read tomorrow :)

DSP

DELETED

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”