Acousticsamples : Now! new pianos, Upright Broken and Grand

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

EDIT: The pianos are now available for EXS24 and SFZ! Those versions will lack the automatic pedal sound or the special release samples on pedal down, but every other feature works perfectly.

EDIT: the A-Pian has been released today october 30.
EDIT: the B-Pian has also been released.
I'll soon release two pianos, still have to work on the problem with kontakt and the releases when pedal is down:

The first one is named A-PIAN and is a nice and old french Gaveau piano:

Here's a little preview:

Impromptu n°3 op. posth. 142 Schubert
Impromptu n°3 op. posth. 142 Schubert (without reverb and using a script that corrects the kontakt release bug, final version)

The second one is a response to some demands here in the forums, B-PIAN is an out of tune piano that is in bad condition. But not too much out of tune, just like the piano you have at home and haven't used since 5 years.

The demo:

clair de lune, debussy
Impromptu n°3 op. posth. 142 Schubert(without reverb, final version)

The demos are played by a friend of mine on a regular midi keyboard, i did let the errors he made to show how realistic it is.
Last edited by thysm00 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:09 am, edited 11 times in total.

I like the sound of the first one, particularly. Some questions:

Is the reverb recorded in the samples, or is it an effect? (Were the samples recorded as wet as they sound, in other words, or were they recorded dry?)

How large are the sample sets? The load in the pictures is small, but I don't know the kontakt player well enough to know it the number reflects size of the sample library or the RAM load when the screenshot was taken.

I like B-Pian.
I could use a piano like this.
I take it the reverb is natural and in the sample recording?

Any word on price?

So the two pianos were recorded dry, there's only the room ambient, but they were little rooms for both and i recorded it very close to the piano. The "reverberation effect" you feel is the sympathetic resonance that i also recorded (and that you will be able to control the amount) but you're right i also added a little reverb on it, i'm uploading new versions.

The prices are going to be 29€ each.

The A-pian is about 820Mo and the b-pian is 460Mo.

I'll edit my first post with new audio files of the same piece without any reverb.

(Check the new demo for the first piano--there's a lot of repeated, random noise in there, somehow. Sounds like the pedal sample might be causing some kind of problem.)

doh! :o : it sounds like i uploaded an early version. I just corrected that and replaced it by a version without the kontakt release trigger bug.

This kontakt release bug is why the piano isn't released yet. I'm working on that. I also know that there is a script out there that corrects the problem made by Nils Liberg, but there's still a bug with that one, it just doesn't play any release sample at all, so all you hear is the ugly fade out of all the notes you played. I don't want that for my pianos because a regular piano does not just fade out, so i (try to :) ) build a script right now that takes care of that.

The new demo sounds very good. I wish I knew more about the Kontakt problem. I saw the thread on Northern Sounds about the problem, but I don't know Kontakt scripting.

Have you tried the scripting forum at the v.i. control site for suggestions? This thread might address the issue: http://www.vi-control.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10486 .

Or is there a way to create just a script with two if-then sequences that says: "If pedal is down, play release samples," and "On pedal up, all release notes off except the most recent," thus overriding the problem? Or is the need to have entirely different release samples played for pedal down notes?

In any case, again, the samples sound very good. I hope you resolve the problem.

The problem that is discussed in the VI forums is another problem that (and the guy is right) can be avoided using the release trigger counter.

This problem is much more compicated. If you play ten times the same note while the sustain pedal is down, it will play 10 times the same release.
I've been a lot into scripting and there's no way to do what you said.
Event worse and you're also right, the release must be different when the pedl is down, there's no hammer noise, only a decay, but that depends on the frequencies and on the note, it's not just a fade out.
The problem is not that i have not recorded these releases, i do, but in the controller callback (the script that is launched by the on pedal down) cannot use the function allow_group or disallow_group, so i cannot choose which samples layer to play.

I think i found a workaround and am implementing it.
It's really not easy to do and even worse to explain... in short i have to play a release when the pedal goes down that corresponds to the note that has been played while the pedal was down. If a note has been played many times, it must play that note release only once.
That part is allready done and is present in the last demo i put on the first post.

But now the release must also be dependant of the lenght of the note. If you use the release script build in the kontakt engine, it's easy to know the lenght, but i can't use it here. I found a way to know the lenght of the note, but i also have to convert that lenght into a volume decrease in DB.
I think i should have done it tomorrow night.

Looking forward to hearing the result. The samples already sound really good.

Ok, nitpicking for sure, but clair de lune isn't a chopin composition, it's debussy who wrote it.

Nice sample work on the two piano's though ;-)

Your right, my mistake... i was told that and did not verify... I'll edit the post.
By the way, the pianos are allmost done, i only need to adjust some parameters.
I'll keep you updated!

Just in case the release samples are still a problem: I ran across a related post by accident. Apparently, SFZ has a similar problem with release samples, but the developer has a solution that should work in Kontakt. See his response right after the question starting the thread:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=185288

A fairly simple solution, assuming that Kontakt lets you limit the polyphony of a group.

Looking forward to hearing the piano, regardless. The samples sound great.

Just listened to all your samples.... Man! They are really good, all very organic sounding. Can't wait for the pianos. Good luck with the scripting:)
Peace

Jake Jackson wrote: A fairly simple solution, assuming that Kontakt lets you limit the polyphony of a group.

Looking forward to hearing the piano, regardless. The samples sound great.
Thanks for that, i allready finished everything on the A-PIAN, but right now i want to make my sales easier by providing links right after payments. I'm allmost done, but i still have some work to do.
kelvyn wrote: Just listened to all your samples.... Man! They are really good, all very organic sounding.
Thanks :) And as i wrote it, the pianos are ready, they should be available by tomorrow :)

speaking of sfz.. is there any chance for these soundbanks to be available in other formats than Kontakt ? Like well, sfz, for instance :-)

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”