New Order "Blue Monday" Bass Synth

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi There!
Does anyone have any patches for either the minimoog V or Moog Modular (mac OSX) that recreates this classic bass sound. from what i understand it was created using a moog synth back in the day, so surely something similar must be possible on the softsynth versions, only, i'm having trouble getting it right. any help would be greatly appreciated! heres a clip of the sound i'm after for those in need of a refresh:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... 1&s=143444

thank you.

Rumour has it that it was actually a Moog Source. I hope that this might help to steer you in the right direction!

Cheers!

Ajax :D

Good luck getting it to sound as raw and awesome with Virtual synths :)

I just don't think it's possible to match the sound of classic synth tunes (done with hardware) with virtual synths.

Blue Monday
Oxygene
Equinox
Vangekis
Tangerine Dream
Kraftwerk

I think it would sound weak in comparison. I'm not stating this to wind people up, it truly is my belief and I would be happy to be proved wrong.

If anyone here could copy the bassline from "the robots" Kraftwerk using vsti's (no samples , has to be synthesis) I would be very impressed if not astounded.

It's a simple patch on analog synths so shouldn't be too hard to get it on say any of the virtual Moog synths that are out there?

Go on up some demo's :)

yep Moog Source... two osc's only.

are you trying to redo Blue Monday or just the bass synth?
Eins zwei drei vier funf sechs sieben acht

Sonic Boom Samples wrote:Good luck getting it to sound as raw and awesome with Virtual synths :)

I just don't think it's possible to match the sound of classic synth tunes (done with hardware) with virtual synths.

Blue Monday
Oxygene
Equinox
Vangekis
Tangerine Dream
Kraftwerk

I think it would sound weak in comparison. I'm not stating this to wind people up, it truly is my belief and I would be happy to be proved wrong.

If anyone here could copy the bassline from "the robots" Kraftwerk using vsti's (no samples , has to be synthesis) I would be very impressed if not astounded.

It's a simple patch on analog synths so shouldn't be too hard to get it on say any of the virtual Moog synths that are out there?

Roger Lyons (who remixed it recently) couldnt recreate it even with the Moog Source that was used by the group - he lifted the bass from original multitracks so it may have been more than one synth lol

Yeah i realise its not gonna have quite the warmth etc of a real moog but something close would be greta. i'm just working on something for fun and that sound is so perfect for the tone/feel of the track that i wanted to try and recreate it

Very interesting article, thank you :)

Sonic Boom Samples wrote: If anyone here could copy the bassline from "the robots" Kraftwerk using vsti's (no samples , has to be synthesis) I would be very impressed if not astounded.
you could check the minimum/maximum dvd/cd.
plenty of kraftwerk sounds on there done with software.

Its just two slightly detuned saw osc with a fast decaying LP filter envelope. Should be easy as pie to get very close with any VA synth.

afreshcupofjoe wrote:Its just two slightly detuned saw osc with a fast decaying LP filter envelope. Should be easy as pie to get very close with any VA synth.
I'd love to hear an example, I really would. It's good for a forum when people get creative and up examples.

Sonic Boom Samples wrote:Good luck getting it to sound as raw and awesome with Virtual synths :)

Blue Monday
Oxygene
Equinox
Vangekis
Tangerine Dream
Kraftwerk

http://www.perkristian.net/music/PerKri ... erture.mp3
http://www.perkristian.net/music/PerKri ... inoxe5.mp3

It's a great version of that Equinox track... and the really spooky thing is that while I was reading your post I had that album playing lol.

But.... the bass does sound like a wet fart and not in a good way compared to the real deal. But I'm impressed with the production and that it all came from a virus.

I'd say it's 70% there, I would really like to hear someone come up with the Blue Monday bassline. As someone said it's an easy enough patch so shouldn't be too hard to get very close if VSTi's are as good as the real deal as most people seem to think.

A good experiment I think :)

I have to say again though.... what a great production/reproduction from the virus. It's close but still a good way away from the punch and depth of the original.

Sonic Boom Samples wrote: I'd say it's 70% there, I would really like to hear someone come up with the Blue Monday bassline. As someone said it's an easy enough patch so shouldn't be too hard to get very close if VSTi's are as good as the real deal as most people seem to think.
the synth in itself is not the only tool, tho. what we need to take into account here is the processing. the patch is very basic, and shouldn't be a problem for a lot of VSTIs.
It's not what you use, it's how you use it...

10 geek points to the first one who mentions where the choir sample is from. :D

Return to “Sound Design”