Redline Monitor - how does it work?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I tried it and like it, but the distance simulation is a little bit too subtle for me. I have my Genelec monitors 1m away and the 2m simulation sounds more like 1/2 m than 2m. I would like to be able to set the soundstage more in front of me, like the monitors do.
Many other simulations like this do alter the sound way too drastically, so its really impressive how the sound stays natural. If the distance scenario could be improved it would be almost perfect.

Thanks for the feedback & glad you like it!

As for having more extreme settings for the distance simulation, that is no problem--I purposely limited the range to smt that works for me. But if it turns out users want more extreme settings I'd be more than happy to provide them. :)

-- dj!

"Redline Reverb"!! You sneaky devils! :shock: I turn my back for a second... :hihi:

I had kind of given up on the EQ and HPS betas; got distracted by Xmas and porting to Mac. I'm downloading this now, I'll give it a go.

I hope the EQ is on the way soon!

Sorry: and where do we get the current license file for Redline Monitor? :?:

Hehe... you snooze, you lose! :hihi:

I'll check (and update) the beta licenses at the forum--assuming that's what you're referring to. Or just visit

http://112dB.com/redline/monitor?demo

and request a 60-day demo license. That's probably the quickest way.

Take care,

-- dj!

Ah: we just email you guys? Will do, thanks! :D

so this plug does what SPL Phonitor does http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfhul7jyXwg if so, awesome!!! cause SPL is charging like $1500

Or get Refined Audiometrics HDPHX - which is free and does exactly the same, just without tweaking knobs and limited to Windows only. But it does the trick with the HAAS effect, etc.

Actually... working on headphones is a thing if you're songwriting, but for mixing, I can only advice you to dith the headphones and use monitor speakers. Especially if you use a headphone branch that has not a flat response.

Not dissing you guys (112dB), I just don't see the need for a plugin like that anymore.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

No problem, I more than encourage critical replies.

The reason why Redline Monitor is a useful addition to the existing plugin arsenal lies exactly with the Haas effect--more to the point, the fact that unlike most or all similar plugins it doesn't exploit it. (For those not in the know, essentially they add a delayed version of the left channel to the right channel, and vice versa.)

The problem with it is that it doesn't sound natural--simply because that's not at all what happens when you "hear" something from a distance--and more importantly that it introduces a delayed version into the audio path, which causes all kinds of frequency artifacts. There's any number of discussions on comparable plugins on other forums, and the consensus is invariably that existing plugins mess up the audio (most of all the frequency content) too much to be useful for any serious work.

And that is where Redline Monitor shines: even though it achieves (IMHO) better results than other plugins the frequency response is entirely flat within +/- 0.1dB--check the frequency graphs in the manual.

I welcome you to perform A/B comparisons with other plugins. You'll find that not only does Redline Monitor sounds much more convincing, it leaves the audio perfectly intact. Without which such a plugin degrades from an invaluable tool but just an interesting effect.

YMMV,

-- dj!
Last edited by djex on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi dj!,

Juts a question, not about Redline Monitor, but about the Redline Equalizer.

Does it adds harmonic content like analogue processors while boosting frequencies or does it work like all the "classic" software equalizers ?

Thanks ;).

Like I said, I only use headphones for songwriting now, not mixing since I think that working on headphones gives a totally wrong misinterpretation of the audio spectrum (and working too long on that end, makes your ears tired, too).

I used HDPHX for a while, it adds more lowend indeed and moves the earmuffs virutally "away" from your head, but on 1:1 comparision with ARC running on speakers, and HDPHX on the Headphone, I was massively dissapointed by the response.

For those who're stuck on a certain volume while working, it might be the solution indeed. But to me, I rather stick to speakers and also take a room into consideration. Best of both worlds.

On the other hand, an emulator of crappy earplugs would be great - so we can see how a mix will sound on iPod plugs or MP3 sticks on general. But this is not something I'd shell out money for, especially since every user of mp3 sticks has a different listening experience (more bass, less bass, more mids, etc).
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

K-Slash wrote:Juts a question, not about Redline Monitor, but about the Redline Equalizer.

Does it adds harmonic content like analogue processors while boosting frequencies or does it work like all the "classic" software equalizers ?
The current beta version (which of course you don't have access too :hihi:) doesn't but there is a good chance such a feature will be added before the release.

Thanks,

-- dj!

the reason for me to use this plugin is that i dont have the luxury of using my monitors when i work which is at night when my family is sleeping

djex wrote:
K-Slash wrote:Juts a question, not about Redline Monitor, but about the Redline Equalizer.

The current beta version (which of course you don't have access too :hihi:) doesn't but there is a good chance such a feature will be added before the release.

Thanks,

-- dj!
Yeah, that's GREAT :-o.

If it's included on the v1.0, I will for sure drop my money, if it sounds good ;).

By the way what will be the price range :oops: ?

Compyfox wrote:Like I said, I only use headphones for songwriting now, not mixing since I think that working on headphones gives a totally wrong misinterpretation of the audio spectrum (and working too long on that end, makes your ears tired, too).
A quality pair of headphones shd have near-perfect frequency response, and in combination with Redline Monitor that's still be true. The ear fatigue is a common phenomenon with headphones and is caused by the extreme separation between what the left and right ear hears. So that too will be gone with our plugin.
For those who're stuck on a certain volume while working, it might be the solution indeed. But to me, I rather stick to speakers and also take a room into consideration. Best of both worlds.
Yes, I couldn't agree more. I'd personally choose a decent room with good speakers over even the best headphones any day of the week, but some of us don't have that luxury--and that's the audience we're targeting with this plugin. Redline Monitor is not intended as a replacement for a good speaker setup but as a viable alternative for when (for whatever reason) you can't use speakers.

-- dj!

Return to “Effects”