3am - try try again (more experiments without tempo)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is long, noisy and not very "musical".

try try again take 1
try try again take 2

Numerology is sequencing a piano sound in Alchemy (which is hosted in Kore) and a loop (from dusted william's funky ass drums) in my V-Synth. Those sounds then go into their own granluar delay (the one I built in Reaktor) and finally through independent but related instance of MFM2. All of the components of this track were done inside a single instance of Kore where I can morph the whole performance. This is a single take but that may change as the day goes on.

There are pretty wild moments but there are some boring parts too. Thanks.
Last edited by justin3am on Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nice one- lots of cool noises going on in here.
Fugue State Audio - plugins, samples, etc.
Support the Union of Musicians and Allied Workers

Wow, lotsa level, and comb-y goodness, fading sirens, great friggin mayhem so far, love the randomness of the beats, explosions!, those frozen metallic pads are yum - they just hang there, for some reason the kick drum really knocks me out - it's got wonderful thud.

I musta missed the boring parts. This is an excellent abstract, start to finish.
Image Image

Thanks dude! I was pretty surprised myself. This is essentially Numerology interacting with itself, Kore and the V-Synth. All I did was hold a note and press record. The tempo is modulated by a number of control sources feeding a switch which is hard synced to make sure that the sequence resets at regular intervals. So, there is a tempo, I'd just be hard pressed to figure out what it is. :) There are moments when the kick aligns with a spike of feedback at a low frequency. This created huge volume spikes which I decided to heavily compress with some pretty loose settings. That's why you hear that heavy pump when the kick hits really hard.

you had me at "not very musical." ;-)

though i disagree.

fabulous sounds und flows, a masterful abstract improvisaation.

my only reservation (and not much of one) is that it's relentless in terms of density and intensity. listening to snatches is very rewarding, but listening to longer stretches gets kinda overkill-y and maybe even a bit fatiguing?

two things to 'fix' it for me: make it shorter (3-5 minutes?) in which case the unrelenting quality works in its favor, or build in density changes (rarefaction would be wunderbar, like at the end but even more).

:-)

Thanks Rick! I guess, I only said "not very 'musical'" to inform the fans of my less experimental works. This is just as much an honest expression as anything I do, the only difference being, here, the effort has been focused on creating a system of interacting devices. The effort may not be immediately obvious as being musical but I have a tough time finding another way to describe the liveliness of the sound these machines make when they interact this way.

I understand what you mean by rarefaction... I have a few more pieces I'm finalizing and with each I'm coming closer to what I imagined when I started this.

Thanks again professor!

Here is another, just the doepfer modular and Reaktor being controlled by Numerology in this one. Beware, there are some really shrill, abrasive moments in this, so make sure you're listening in headphones at full blast. Seriously though, some really cool stereo field stuff happens through out if you listen in headphones.

try try again take 2

I think the infinitely long coil of my grey matter unraveled listening to this....
I must continue to repeatedly tell myself...

Keep telling yourself that buddy... :hihi: :hihi: :lol: :cry: :D :lol: :scared:

Seriously though, good lookin audio damage, J. :) Really mind bending sounds and technique.

justin3am wrote:Here is another, just the doepfer modular and Reaktor being controlled by Numerology in this one. Beware, there are some really shrill, abrasive moments in this, so make sure you're listening in headphones at full blast. Seriously though, some really cool stereo field stuff happens through out if you listen in headphones.

try try again take 2
There are so many cool sounds in this piece... you should almost make drum kits or something just so they can live on. Gorgeous textures and moods. This one definitely breathes a bit more with some almost empty spots. Yup, stereo fun here on headphones!

I've been hitting Numerology hard the the last few days myself, mainly abusing the Mono's brain with it. Num v2 is just incredible, an absolute playground.
Image Image

Some pretty cool stereo stuff even without headphones, haven't replaced the last ones I blew yet. :) Yummy noise for sure.
Fugue State Audio - plugins, samples, etc.
Support the Union of Musicians and Allied Workers

Oh, Poly, the things I can do with Numv2!!! I have only recently started getting the most out of the snap shot system. Did you know you can assign a range of keys to change snaps and then fill the rack up with modulators to be used like the melohman stuff in Minimonsta? I do that with every synth now. I still haven't worked the new samplers into my work flow yet but they work exactly like Simpler!!!

Thanks SG, sorry to hear about your headphones! I couldn't live without mine. It's my favorite way to experience music.

justin3am wrote:Oh, Poly, the things I can do with Numv2!!! I have only recently started getting the most out of the snap shot system. Did you know you can assign a range of keys to change snaps and then fill the rack up with modulators to be used like the melohman stuff in Minimonsta? I do that with every synth now. I still haven't worked the new samplers into my work flow yet but they work exactly like Simpler!!!
Yeah I caught the key assignment thing in one of the videos, nutz! Been working with the audio business a bit today and making some other big stacks... can't leave it alone! :)
Image Image

justin3am wrote:Oh, Poly, the things I can do with Numv2!!! I have only recently started getting the most out of the snap shot system. Did you know you can assign a range of keys to change snaps and then fill the rack up with modulators to be used like the melohman stuff in Minimonsta?
You can do that in Live with clips for notes and modulation also.

I can't wait for Jim to enable midi feedback on loading presets so I can use my BCR as a multipattern step seq!

Return to “Music Cafe”