Desert Plains (Eastern Jam)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all!

This is a jam taken place at the Ninjamers servers (group Going East) using Ninjam.

It's mixed in levels, pans and a bit more but not the playing. That's me making "music typos" once in a while :P

Desert Plains

It took place on 17 Jan 2009 and the participants were in the order they appear:

Diek, Alex, Unfretted, SoTm & Russ

Hope you like it ;)

Interesting stuff Diek. I love the loose improvisational feel to it. I assume that's partly due to the environment? Anyhow, there's some beautiful stuff in there, thanks for sharing it! :)
Image Image

polyslax wrote:I love the loose improvisational feel to it. I assume that's partly due to the environment?
It all it's absolutely improvised and played by people at different parts of the world in "real" time over the net. That's the kind of things you can do with the Ninjam program. At a first glance it's difficult to understand the paradigm, but in the practice all you have to do it's to play over what you're listening. Plus there's a lot of real good players round the world using it (not counting me :hihi: )
Once you try you get hooked 8)
If you or someone else are interested the orange words in my first post are links to the program and to the community.

Thanks for listening and for your comment :)

Interesting. Bit loose for me.

How do you go for latency. Aren't you all suffering from an ever increasing laaaaag?

:)

Benedict wrote:How do you go for latency. Aren't you all suffering from an ever increasing laaaaag? :)
Hi, Benedict!
Well, the "paradigm" is:
Due to the inherent latencies of the own DAWs added to the latency of the net, it's practically impossible to play in real time. What Ninjam does is delay what you listen in 8, 16, 32 ... beats, being that selectable from the chat that comes with the program and voted among all the participants (and so the BPM). This means everybody it's playing over the previous musical phrase of all the other people but on the beat thanks to a metronome inside.
It sounds a bit strange, but in the practice all you have to do is to play over what you listen. The only thing you have to be aware is if you want to change the harmony or groove or whatever the other people will react with four (usually) measures of delay. Anyway you can take it as an extra challenge 8)

Thanks for your interest and for listening :)

BTW.- I'm selling nothing, just want to share this experience ;)
Ninjam it's a free and open source software

Thanks for the explanation - makes a lot more sense of the results.

Kinda like Frippatronics on a global scale

Question is whether the system will make me play in time? :lol: :(

Benedict wrote:Question is whether the system will make me play in time? :lol: :(

I'm afraid this is a common disease :D

Return to “Music Cafe”