'Black and White and Red' New patch bank for Zebra from 3am!

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here is my new Zebra bank...
Image ^ Link :hihi:

Demo 1: Cheezewhiz
Demo 2: do not want

In the zip file you'll find 280 H2Ps, 35 KSDs, and 35 KPEs. There are 8 H2Ps for each Kore performance corresponding to snapshots A-H in Kore.

About the patches... These are for the people that say Zebra can't do dirty. Each individual patch is like a mini synth with key modifiers mapped to the X/Y pads and also to Kore controllers. Each patch has 8 variations to illustrate the amount of flexibility but I recommend that you explore the X/Y pads yourself.

I am still working on documentation. Basically, the focus is on the performance controls. In Kore I've arranged the controls by how important they are to the sound. Tweak away.

Special thanks goes to aMUSEd for helping me out with mapping Zebra for Kore. :)

Original Post wrote:I'm conceptualizing new banks for Zebra2, MFM2 and the Uhbiks and I'd like some input. Like my previous efforts, I'm focusing on experimental sounds but this time I'm trying to create sounds that can be used as more than just sound scapes and FX.

So those of you that are interested in that kind of sound, what are you looking for? Most of the sounds that I create can't easily be categorized as "bass", "lead", "pad", etc but I try to make extensive use of the performance modifiers to make the patches as flexible as possible. Would it be a better idea to develop patches that start simple classifiable sounds which can be morphed into something more complex?

One idea I had was to create a bank of patches for MFM2 which depends on a bank of patches for Zebra. I'm still working out the details but I'm experimenting with patches that heavily use the tuned delays.

I've been kinda vague about my plans on purpose (I'm actually pretty deep into sketch mode) because I want to hear your ideas. Keep in mind that I'm not the person to ask if you want a patch from "synth-x" cloned.

Thoughts?

Also, what is the demand for these patches as Kore sounds (X/Ys mapped to Kore controllers and morphing)?
Last edited by justin3am on Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:58 am, edited 9 times in total.

Probably would have had better luck with this if I waited till this morning to post. :hihi:

Unfortunately you can't map the XY's to Kore controls at the moment anyway due to a bug in Zebra - they don't seem to stick (I tried to add this to my template but can't yet)

aMUSEd wrote:Unfortunately you can't map the XY's to Kore controls at the moment anyway due to a bug in Zebra - they don't seem to stick (I tried to add this to my template but can't yet)
Hmm... that is a bummer.

aMUSEd wrote:due to a bug in Zebra
Hmmm... I'm still stunned. The XYs are just normal parameters like any other. I don't see how they can be buggy. Are you using MIDI, Parameter Automation or both?

Kore uses VST (param) automation - not midi. There was a thread recently where someone with Receptor reported what looked like the same problem on that platform - the XY's map and play fine but don't save with the project (or Kore Sound) for some reason.

OK all is not lost - it turns out the old Kore (v1) does save ksd's with the XY's intact - no idea why Kore 2 doesn't but since Kore 2 can load ksd's saved in Kore 1 all I need to do now is rebuild my template using Kore v1 (might take a bit of time)

I would love any sounds or sequences that emulate a Buchla synth.

Bobbotov wrote:I would love any sounds or sequences that emulate a Buchla synth.
Are you talking about the typical "Buchla Bongo" Low Pass-Gate sound or just general modulated DCO mayhem?

Would it be a better idea to develop patches that start simple classifiable sounds which can be morphed into something more complex?
I think so, although I loved your first patches and would love more in the same vein too!! f**ked up leads could be sort of nice too.
One idea I had was to create a bank of patches for MFM2 which depends on a bank of patches for Zebra. I'm still working out the details but I'm experimenting with patches that heavily use the tuned delays.
Great idea. And very original too.

OK luckily I found an old version of the template I'd started making in Kore v1 so I've used that - it already had 27 pages so I didn't have to start from scratch but now I've added the XY's, sideband filters, envelopes and mixers. This was started ages ago with a much older Zebra 2 so I might possibly have left out some of the newer features (though I don't think I did) but just check please. This should now load in both versions of Kore and the XY's should be working (they are on my system anyway):

http://www.fingermarks.co.uk/music/Zebra23withXYs.zip

If you open in Kore 1 it will open on the Performance page but in Kore 2 it opens on something else but just resave it with the page you want it to start up on loaded - the pages will need to be rearranged anyway per patch depending on the modules you want to control.

No morphing yet though - that still doesn't work in Kore 2 with Zebra (or any u-he synth/effect)

Thanks a bunch for the effort. I'll see what I can do with this as a starting point. :)

It should do for you - just use the pages that correspond to the modules you put in each patch (usually I just move the used pages to the top so they are the first params exposed to whatever host you use to automate Kore) and save as separate ksd's to go with the Zebra patches

I'd buy patches set up for wind controllers, specifically the EWI 4000S and EWI USB. Some emulative patches, perhaps real-sounding or 'electronically altered' sounds based on real world instruments. Also, some more esoteric things, but with breath control, vibrato (pitchbend or "bite") control, and maybe some controls to map to EWI's glide strip.

I find it a challenge to convert most synth patches, especially the beautiful but complex Zebra2 patches, for use on my EWI's. It's not a simple as replacing CC7 with CC2. You have to consider all the oscilators and modulators, and try to figure out which ones can be mapped to the controller for the most overall control of the sound.

You would still have plenty of modulation sources that the EWI can use; pitchbend (bite), volume/expression, pressure (breath control sensitivity), the glide strip. You could even allow for parameter controls using MIDI notes at the extremes of the EWI's range; notes that wouldn't be missed in normal playing, but could be used to trigger modulators, the step generator, etc.

Give me a pad that I can trigger with a MIDI note, then play and layer other MIDI notes, while changing cutoff/res with breath pressure, start an lfo with bite, change X/Y parameters by playing certain other MIDI notes (with their own modulations)....well, you get the idea. :)

So, if you make some patches designed for expressive control, and with parameters that can be adapted easily to wind synths, I'd be a customer.
Dave Burns
Lowell, MA

More equipment than skill...

dburns wrote:I'd buy patches...
First of all, I don't sell patches. These are freebies. Second, I like to setup the four X/Y pads (as well as mod wheel, aftertouch, etc) on Zebra to make my patches as expressive as possible. It's really up to you to do the mapping for your specific controller.

As far as wind instruments... I'll see what I can do but it's not really my forte. I'm an amateur sound designer at best (thats why I don't charge), I excel at making Zebra do blubbery modular stuff and i do a pretty good job of making it sound circuit bent but that is the extent of my range. :)

Return to “u-he”