Just noticed this "new" free sequencer : Macaw

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Never heard of it before, mentionned in the Old...masses thread, but seems a new version.

Entirely free.
Software Description

Macaw is a program that implements a clip based MIDI sequencer, which drives a bunch of built in plugins, MIDI devices and VST plugins. It has a soundfont loader and wave editor.

The program is at a very mature stage and works fine for composing music and live playback of samples and plugins. The plugins and sampler and MIDI tracks can be played using the PC keyboard, or a MIDI keyboard or other MIDI controller.
Unlimited tracks in unlimited nestable track folders.
Sequence Audio and MIDI clips.
Import and export MIDI.
Import and export Audio.
MP3, OGG and WAV formats supported.
8, 16, 24 and 32 bit PCM.
Customisable sequencer theme.
Share plugins amongst multiple tracks.
Sequence to external MIDI devices.

Easy to install, good workflow...

edit : oops, I forgot the link :

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/Macaw/

Includes a modular synth built-in engine !
You can't always get what you waaaant...

I can't say i have much interest in the sequencer, but the synths/fx the person made, are excellent.

It was formerly called Oscillastation, Rocktave and DeltaSP so quite a few people have already come across it I guess. It has been set free and open source (delphi 5) not along ago.

There is a plugin builder that can export as vst as well, perhaps its most interesting feature. At least it's the one that make me open it and use it right now despite, let's say it, its rathger ugly UI

All the vsts seem rather excellent to me and use barely any cpu. Universal has more than 8000 parameters and seems a quite amazing monster synth.

A word of warning guys. Don't be tempted to install the scribble image editing application that is on the download page as the bugger will wipe out your image files association.

Can anyone upload a screenshot? Can't find one online anywhere.

Oscillastation was pretty hideous, so I don't have high hopes.

Are the vst's usable in other sequencers?

Any good bits?

yes
You can't always get what you waaaant...

hxcobd wrote:Can anyone upload a screenshot? Can't find one online anywhere.

Oscillastation was pretty hideous, so I don't have high hopes.
It's just as hideous as Oscillastation. The UI is the same, it's just the name that has changed.

this is the biggest giveaway since 2000!
This one deserves its own forum. Posibillites are huge!
Why is this free?

has anyone tried running the plugin installer on vista? the linked page in the first post only has 98/2000 and xp listed

What a pleasant surprise! And it's open source? It has functionality some of the favs around here are lacking. Plus it has a modular setup similar to Tracktion or energyXT. While the GUI leaves something to be desired, maybe there is an easy way to skin it. After all, the source is available.

I have to add my two penneth to this thread as well - thanks to the OP for posting this up - I've only been playing with Macaw for ten minutes, but the Universal synth looks incredible for a free VST, it's almost a never ending selection of parameters, and looks immensely powerful. I only found four presets, are there more hidden away somewhere in the installation?

This whole package is INCREDIBLE.

I have to agree with the previous posters - the UI isn't the most attractive, but that doesn't really bother me, but if one of the brilliant KVR members who produce some of the skins for some of the free VSTs like Oatmeal, etc. can produce a new skin for it, this could be THE killer free DAW! I can't believe it's free - I'm blown away just looking at all the parameters in Universal. My wholehearted thanks go out to the developer!

sonkeysankey wrote:the Universal synth looks incredible for a free VST, it's almost a never ending selection of parameters, and looks immensely powerful. I only found four presets, are there more hidden away somewhere in the installation?
Yeah you'll find more preset under the menu and preset buttons in the synth. Subpresets can also be saved and loaded in places it seems.

funny name he has.

interesting!
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

I've been playing with this all morning, I love the demos that are available under the 'New' menu, and there is just so much to it, it's hard to get my head round it. This almost deserves its own forum!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”