Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
mkastrup
KVRian

1102 posts since 4 Aug, 2004, from Copenhagen, Denmark

Postby mkastrup; Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:24 pm MSEG and a way of using it

All know about arranger keyboards with auto bass string and stuff, well something similar can be done in Zebra using MSEG envelopes. In general you just have MSEG control the pitch of various OSC's and use one MSEG dedicated to the attack envelope for adding pluck motion. Its kinda like an poly Arpeggio but with more control by the user.

In the following example i used octave shifts and +7 shifts in pitch.

Now the fun part is that we are not bound by tempo like we are using arpeggio. In the demo i'm playing 4/4 3/4 and glissando and its all the same patch just different playstyle.

Give MSEG a go if you get bored of creating static patches. Have it control osc pitch and envelopes.

The demo might sound like i'm using all my fingers and toes but its really dead simple which the picture will show you.

Open up the picture, look at the note progression and then turn on the mp3 and then hear how those notes comes out with the help from MSEG:

Picture: http://www.xsynth.com/download/z2msegfun.png

MP3: http://www.xsynth.com/demos/MK_Z2msegfun.mp3

Have fun :)

/Michael
Last edited by mkastrup on Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.xsynth.com - Sound Synthesis with Vintage flavour
Kyran
KVRian

927 posts since 2 Apr, 2006

Postby Kyran; Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:55 pm

Nice!
tipsch
KVRist

46 posts since 24 Sep, 2006

Postby tipsch; Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:11 pm

Lovely* :love:

*searching for this patch to have a real close look at it
Last edited by tipsch on Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
red37
KVRian

695 posts since 16 Dec, 2008, from Liverpool

Postby red37; Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:14 pm

Great that. Really MSEG's at work are a bit of an enigma for me. I mean i can get em to do something...but nowhere near as defined and 'present' as in Michael's demonstration. I'd sure as hell love to get to that level though - nice work!

Practice i guess.
sinzero
KVRian

505 posts since 13 Feb, 2009

Postby sinzero; Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:36 pm

red37 wrote: I'd sure as hell love to get to that level though - nice work!

Practice i guess.

michael is just pulling your leg. He's really the harpist for the berlin philharmonic, handpicked and nurtured by karajan himself when he was just a babe
billstei
KVRian

595 posts since 20 Jan, 2006

Postby billstei; Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:44 pm

If I had the skills in Michael's weakest pinky I would walk around smiling all the time and people would wonder what I was up to.
sinzero
KVRian

505 posts since 13 Feb, 2009

Postby sinzero; Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:00 pm

billstei wrote:If I had the skills in Michael's weakest pinky ...

if only it was just about skill
Urs
u-he

22008 posts since 7 Aug, 2002, from Berlin

Postby Urs; Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:01 pm

OMG... really, really good :-o
djsubject
KVRAF

10975 posts since 26 Nov, 2004, from UK

Postby djsubject; Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:17 pm

OK,

now your just showing off!!

:hihi:

hats off to you again Sir!

Subz
Teksonik
KVRAF

12284 posts since 15 Sep, 2001, from Las Vegas,USA

Postby Teksonik; Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:49 pm

Cool! Could we get the preset(s) please? Here's a patch I did about a month ago using MSEG's to pitch. No fancy Mp3 though. :D
http://teksonik.googlepages.com/SyKelex-3-Tek.h2p
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
zvenx
KVRAF

6259 posts since 16 Feb, 2005, from Kingston, Jamaica

Postby zvenx; Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:23 pm

even the creator of the instrument is impressed. Like I thought when I bought zebra mainly because of mk's presets and demos, I think he is using alien technology....
rsp
mkastrup
KVRian

Postby mkastrup; Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:04 pm

Heh heh you guys are funny :hihi: but thx for the comments :)

Teksonik did provide some answers with his preset and since its more easy to grasp i decided to make some adjustments to it so his preset would be more like the example i produced.

The most flexible pitch alterings are octaves and 7th's when using MSEG.

If you are having trouble adjusting MSEG to the right pitch then right click MSEG and choose value snap 12 also make sure the MOD on an OSC should be set to 12.

Always leave one MSEG for the plucky thing. This one is used for Volume (VCA) and Filter (VCF) envelopes.

http://www.xsynth.com/download/SyKelex-3-Tek2.zip

Once you get the idea it can be used in many ways. I use the technique alot in my new ambient patches. Its just at a much slower tempos.

/Michael
Last edited by mkastrup on Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulSC
KVRian

1192 posts since 13 May, 2004, from SF Bay Area, California

Postby PaulSC; Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:07 pm

mkastrup wrote:The most flexible pitch alterings are octaves and 7th's when using MSEG.

Clarification: By "7ths" I guess you mean "intervals of seven semitones" (in other words, you're recommending octaves and fifths) -- ?
If you like 80s retro sounds, check out my latest tune…
thelizard
KVRian

1105 posts since 6 Jul, 2004

Postby thelizard; Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:26 pm

wowee zowee!
mkastrup
KVRian

Postby mkastrup; Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:31 pm

PaulSC wrote:
mkastrup wrote:The most flexible pitch alterings are octaves and 7th's when using MSEG.

Clarification: By "7ths" I guess you mean "intervals of seven semitones" (in other words, you're recommending octaves and fifths) -- ?

Yep :)

Stay within Octaves, +7 and -5 semitones, it should produce something pentatonic scale like no matter how you play or mix it.

Also make it more interesting with odd time scale for each MSEG. Have one run 4 beats, one run 3 beats and perhaps have another run 7 beats.

/Michael
Next

Moderator: u-he Mods

Return to u-he