One-Synth-Challenge 6! - SFXR.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here it is, the 6th One-Synth-Challenge! .... with a difference this time!
Create a track using only SFXR for all the sounds, including percussion!

SFXR is not a synth in the usual sense of the word, and yet it is. The purpose behind it's design was as a handy source of sounds for games .... but we're gonna have a lot of fun making music with it!

You can download SFXR here http://www.cyd.liu.se/~tompe573/hp/project_sfxr.html
It is a standalone prog, with an easy .wav export function, but there is also a vst version you can use alongside or instead of SFXR. I cannot vouch for the stability/effectiveness of the vst ... there is at least one bug we know of, but it can be worked around .... here is the link http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/2007/12/ ... r-the-vst/

The standalone also has a Mac ported version .... you will find this re. the above link for SFXR, or search for 'CFXR' ....( if you are a mac user and wish to participate, then please note , for all the following text, SFXR represents SFXR and/or CFXR )

********* RULES ( please read fully) **********

The track can be made in any host.

All the sounds in our tracks will be created by SFXR.

Any sampler may be used to play the sounds back provided it is either ....
*freeware, and easily available via download... or ...
*native to the chosen host package.

FX will be limited to compression/dynamics, reverb/delay, and EQ. Must be freeware and easily available via download. Fx native to your host, which do not satisfy these conditions, or cannot be used in other hosts, cannot be used.

FX, and features included in the sampler package should not be used in such a way as to transform the sounds to a degree which makes them unrecognisable as those obtained from SFXR..... otherwise you will be named, shamed, blamed, tamed, maimed and flamed, but you still might win a prize :hihi:

It's barely possible to give more accurate guidance re. how far you can push the above. All I can advise is that if you get away with it, its because you pushed the boundaries without pushing your luck!

SFXRVst can be used under the same conditions as SFXR, except of course, you dont need to worry about a sampler to play back the sounds.

** Note, these rules are fairly brief, but have come out of an unprecedented level of discussion. They will not change, but if they are insufficiently clear to anyone, then I strongly advise reading this thread before posting any comment re. their conception or validity .....
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

*** There is no track length limit.

**** Finished tracks, in mp3 format, should be uploaded here ...

http://onesynthcomp.4shared.com/

* Please post in this thread when you upload a track, that way I can prevent abuse of this public folder. Anything uploaded without an accompanying post here will be deleted.

For the sake of clarity, name your track in the following format ...

Title of Track - Artist Name

* Before you do that though, create a notepad/text file and describe briefly what you have used ( host, how many instances of SFXRVst how many samples from SFXR , whixh sampler, which fx, how many instances.. etc. )
....... keep it short though, that way it can be read in preview mode without the need to be downloaded.

Save the notepad/text file as the title of your track, that way it will sit above or below the track itself when you upload it, and not get mixed up with any others. ( feel free to post or PM me if you have any problems uploading )

**** CLOSING DATE for submissions is 22nd july!

A poll will be opened as soon as is practicable after this deadline, and voting will be open to all kvr members for a period of 7 days.

..... NOTE ..... Only tracks uploaded to the hosting folder allocated for this comp, before the closing date, accompanied by said info text file, will appear on the poll. Please do not post seperate, external links to tracks you wish to be included in the comp.

And the prize(s)? Rob_lee has generously donated a patch bank for Sylenth for this and future comps. I will come up with something you will hopefully enjoy playing around with, and ANY OTHER OFFERS OF PRIZES WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

I like to think though, and judging by the last two comps, that the biggest prize is the joy of participation, and the learning process that comes with the challenge of stretching one synth to its limits. So, nothing to lose, plenty of time!

**** Good luck with those tracks! ...... and have fun!!! **** :)

Err was going to offer the Largo soundbank aswell but i don't think many have it here yet but you can add to the Sylenth bank if you like but it won't be out till mid july..
It's on offer if you want though Fred :)

Rob

Wow rob! what can I say ?? :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :clap: :clap: :clap:

tattiemannie wrote:Wow rob! what can I say ?? :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :clap: :clap: :clap:
And a free copy of every other bank i do after that one :) Always like to see these kind of things going on here...I'd like to enter one day but too busy at the moment..anyway i'll email you a copy when it's complete no probs.

Best

Rob :)

Wow again! Great to know theres such support for these mad comps! Makes it all the more pleasure to organise!

Anyway, while I'm here, just want to say I am personally mightily excited about this latest comp! The quality of the crystal comp is gonna take some following, so I'm glad we chose not to go with a similar type of synth ... it really is a 'different ballgame' and I have to say I am at the moment still comfartably lost in the process of simply playing with SFXR and finding a range of great sounds .... well beyond what I can ever hope to use in one track!

... I could sit all night and tap that 'randomise' button! ... but then, having said that, it's 1.52AM here, I'm still tapping it .... so all night has not been long enough! :hihi:

Yep 1.56am now :) Time to take the MUT out for a walk and see whos prowling the streets hehe..then the kids will be up at 6am but she can see to the them hehe :D anyway better stop posting here it's for the comp :-o

Rob

Neat synth. Can someone recommed me a free sampler for this project? I just tried Sam2, which is cool to make a kit, but what about setting up something for playing melodies?

HighLife

Cool!
I just made a bunch of sounds for it using the random function too Tattie!
I'm using short circuit as the sampler..it's pretty tempting not to really Fu%* $h1t up with it,as that's my usual method of sound design lol!

Definitely much different from the crystal comp. With that one you could make any sound with it, given you have the patience to really dig in and learn it. In this comp you can't stray too far from the synth's natural sound...although I've been getting some very atypical sounds out of it..some very un-videogamey sounds.

Very much looking forward to the submissions! :band2:

So here it is then. The 6th challenge abd by far the most open one as well. Suppose everything's possible to make here :lol:
That said, I'm gonna sit this one out :( I got a few other projects I'm working on + the Copenhagen Jazz Festival coming up. I'm seeing Chick Corea playing solo this saturday :D
Good luck to everyone. I'll check out the results and vote of course :wink:

6th already? I've been gone long...

Cheers for the comments guys, and just to further fuel the obvious enthusiasm for this comp, we have another prize pledge!

MaxSynths has offered a free copy of Cryologic! Check it out ...!
http://maxsynths.altervista.org/cryologic.html

Thanks very much Max ... well appreciated! :clap: :tu:

Good to hear from you again kaiyoti!
Cosmosis, ... did you find a sampler? You could try the kvr database .... there are a few in there!

Just a quick word about the allocation of prizes .... so anyone donating a prize knows where we're at, and contributors know what to expect.

Everyone who enters a track gets a contributors prize. This will be something built by myself between now and the end of the comp, plus all other previous contributors prizes .... so that prize gets bigger for first time contributors with each comp!

In addition, the winner can choose one of the donated prizes, and depending on the amount of prizes pledged, there will be a number of runners up prizes.
Ideally, to keep things reasonably competitive, and not to plunder the generosity of prize donors, the number of runners up would be limited to between one quarter and one third of contributors other than the winner.

After the winner has made a choice of prize, the first runner up will have a choice of what remains on offer, then second runner up etc. Should anyone, for whatever reason not wish to claim their prize, there may be scope to make an offer to the 'next best' entry, but this again will depend on the number of entries, and will not be done to the point which devalues the the donors generosity.

Anyway, that out of the way, as I say, its all about being creative and enjoying the process ... I like to think we all win just by being a part of it! Enjoy! :)

Dont know about you guys, but I'm saving the presets of all the samples i'm creating .... we could end up with a monster preset collection with little effort if others follow suit!

Jeez it's quiet! Do I take that as a sign that everybody's happy, and constructively and blissfully engaged? :)

Return to “Instruments”