Deccan Traps - Fell (rough mix - seeking advice)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
I've been working on a downbeat number recently and have gotten a little too close to it (you know how it is! :help:).
So, I was hoping I could get some opinions on how the mix is sounding at this stage - Fell--(5:13/320kbps/11.9MB)

Thanks,
Neil.

Quiet recording. It definitely has some good keyboard sounds in spots, but could use some momentum/crispness in the drums, imo. They seem a little awkward in the first minute or 2.
Other than that, sounds like it'll be a nice chillout song.

Thanks for listening mate.
It's mixed to around -6db at the moment(in preparation for quick and dirty 'mastering')hence the quietness. The drums in the first 2 minutes,hmmm. They've been changed a few times. I'll have a look at re-arranging them, although they're meant to sound a bit, um, odd. Maybe I'll have a re-think on how I can achieve that.

Cheers Jazzy,

Neil.

i like this a lot 8)

i don't have any of the problems that mr spoon has, although the level issues might be more obvious to me if i wasn't monitoring/listening on perhaps the worst "monitors" ever produced anywhere, ever (thank you behringer, one more paycheck till my krk's - thank god)

very much in the vein of boc, which of course i love, very nicely put together. some sweet chord progressions and good sounds.

the only criticism i might have is that its lacking a little final cohesion, but given that its pre mastering (read, not quite finished), that obviously goes without saying.

ace work... time for another go around.

edit, second time round, the drums could benefit from a little more "roll", perhaps another layered, quiet break in the background would help?

cheers,

steve.

listened to this on loop on way to tescos and back in my car earlier (about a 1/2 hour drive) and still can't hear any real level problems.

also, have decided i think the drums are fine as they are :oops:

really excellent tuneage.

steve.

Thanks Steve :D
The all important car test! It's good to hear it passed that one.

I think I'll have to back off from this tune for a couple of days - it's constantly playing in my head at the moment which would be great if I didn't write it but it makes it hard to be objective. I think if someone suggested I replace the bass with bagpipes right now I would consider it! I'll probably leave it as it is when I come back to it, apart from a bit of 'mastering' spit and polish...

Anyway, I'm really glad you liked it. Thanks for listening mate.

BTW which KRK's are you getting?

Neil.

macmurphy wrote: BTW which KRK's are you getting?

Neil.
vxt 6's and a krk10 sub.

fell in love with them as soon as i heard them but i've had to try very hard not to go for a cheaper option in the meantime as these behringers i'm using give you no information at all as far as your mix goes.... incredibly frustrating.

steve.

ps. replace the bass with bagpipes :P :hihi:

blaster78 wrote: vxt 6's and a krk10 sub.

fell in love with them as soon as i heard them but i've had to try very hard not to go for a cheaper option in the meantime as these behringers i'm using give you no information at all as far as your mix goes.... incredibly frustrating.

steve.

ps. replace the bass with bagpipes :P :hihi:
Sweet. I'm using Tascam VL-X5's(the old version). They were ludicrously cheap - about £130 if I remember correctly - but they are also surprisingly good. Where I live is really isolated and not having a car it's impractical to get to a store to hear any monitors. I couldn't bring myself to spend any more than that without auditioning anything first. Since then though I've not really thought about monitors as I get pretty good results with the Tascams. Also it leaves more money for synths :D
Anyway, once you set your sights on something to save for never falter!
Imagine how lush it will be when you get those KRK's set up :love:

Neil.

p.s. i'm going to replace the bass with bagpipes.

p.p.s. no,really (for a giggle)

This took some time to download and I'm glad I did it. I think this song sounds great. Nice drums and synths :) Yeah, the volume is low but you have explained why.

Thanks for listening KungKrille :D
I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Neil.

Lovely tune indeed. Not too sure about the snare sound, I think I would like a more gritty one. Also reminds me of boc. :tu:
Rekkerd.org the latest news on audio plugins, sample libraries & virtual instruments, synth presets & more.
Don't click here if you can't control yourself!

Thanks for listening core, I appreciate it :D

Neil.

Dig this a lot Neil. The big warm fuzzy bass is great, as are the warbly stringy keys. Nice rhythm tracks as well... I'm torn on the snare, but I think I'll side with Ronnie and say it could use some punch, otherwise I like the smothered sound of the kit. The voice sample works well here and I really like the impact when you bring it all together with that bendy synth part after the last mini breakdown. Overall levels are down, but that's expected at this point I think... at least that's how I work - until I'm done levels are generally in the -2 to -6 db range.
Image Image

Thanks Poly :tu:
I've since listened to the snare in isolation and was surprised by how limp it was sounding so i'll be fixing that immediately.
I should have the finished version up by the end of the week if not sooner.

Thanks for listening mate.

Neil.

Return to “Music Cafe”