OSC9-Gargoyle - Vote now!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

WooooOOOOooohh! Its Halloween folks, and we have a treat for you! ... Some spooky music for your foul, festering, festivities! :-o :scared:
Listen at your peril ... and then cast your votes for the best Gargoyle only track!

See thread ... http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 51ada8d4fe

We have 12 tracks ( I so wished for a 13th to arrive! ) to vote for, and inspired by the excitement of the Sputnik vote, we will once again go for a multi-vote system.

You can award points to 3 tracks in allocations of 5, 3, and 1.
So that's 5 points to your favourite, 3 points to second fave, and 1 for third.
When you have decided on your votes, post in this thread. Please submit all your votes in a single post in a clear manner.....
...something like,

Track title - 5
Track title - 3
Track title - 1

Please listen to all the tracks before casting a vote ... I know it takes a while, but its the only fair way to do things ...

So here's how!
@@Go to the online folder .... http://www.4shared.com/dir/21373365/665 ... lenge.html

Here you can listen to individual tracks, and read accompanying notes re. what what was used in their making. You can download individual tracks as you wish.

Alternatively, from the same link/folder, you can also download the zipped folder '00 - Gargoyle Tracks'
This will be a lot quicker than downloading individual tracks, You will then have all the tracks in one place to listen to at your leisure!

You can also access either of 2 playlist pages .... here,
http://www.4shared.com/play/21373365/66 ... lenge.html

...or, courtesy of BrainOvulation ( Thanks B.O. ) .... here...
http://www.ilfungomagico.it/gargoyle.html

Reviews, however brief, are always welcome, but even if you can only find the time to add a short comment, then please do! ...it keeps the thread alive, and encourages others to listen/vote. I will do a review when I can grab a bit of time to do the job justice.

**OH! .... and should there be a tie for any of the top 4 places, participants involved will be required to produce a pic of themselves, and the scariest wins ... :) ... yeah some of us have a distinct advantage and may not even need the costume and the make-up, but thats life! :lol:

******Tattiemannies ( stuck record ) guide to voting******

A broad approach I would recommend would be to disregard genre and to some extent, production quality. Its more about how the artist an the chosen synth have produced the range and quality of sounds necessary for the track.
so .... we dont go asking "why no brass?" in a folk tune, anymore than we ask "why no soft pad?" in a punk track....... The idea from the outset is to create a track using only one synth..... and the proof of the pudding is about how that challenge has been met, so it's not about the merits of the synth, nor the merits of the track, it's about how the artist has shown that the limitation of using only one synth, does not necesarily limit their ability to produce a quality track, in a style of their choosing.

So I suppose what we're looking for as a yardstick is the "wow! you did that whole track with one synth and hardly any effects????????" factor ...
.... but thats my take on things .... feel free to apply your own criteria when casting your vote.

**Closing date for votes will be the 9th of November**
....Enjoy the music!------------

Note .... I will tally the votes and post updates as the votes come in.
Last edited by tattiemannie on Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I was expecting this to be easier, having almost decided before the competition closed. But, as ever, not quite so simple. And yet, I've made my mind up. I was expecting the voting criteria to include scary, Halloween feel. And the fact that it doesn't isn't going to stop me ranking my votes accordingly (they're at the bottom)...

Mac of Bionight - A Fair Reward: excellent production. The filtered arpeggiated lead is not a sound I'd associate with Gargoyle as it's so free of all the little pitch modulations. Hypnotic arrangement but, alas, not very scary.

Gargoyle Thing - Ah Dziz: a lot of tension in this one helped along by the big (for Gargoyle) kick. Had a good film soundtrack feel to it and the tension built nicely towards the end.

All Tricks no Treat - Yeager: Cracking start. One of my plans early on was to do something along the lines of the organ interlude on A Kiss in the Dreamhouse, where (I think it's) McGeogh shouts out: "You like that? Now here's reprise..." It then moves into a more conventional tune with a good hook but lost points for the lack of spookiness, I'm afraid.

Dirge 13 - Atmospheric lead-in. I thought the background sounds were a distraction at first but they built up nicely until I started seeing images of the original Doom (the in-hell bits towards the end) - so clearly delivering on the scary factor.

Gargoyles - Ev1l Chris: A bit too much helicopter in this short one but the resonating sounds in the background worked well.

Gargoyles Love Pot Noodle - Mouxbar: The ostinato in this one had a laughing, cackling quality to it and gave this a very different, individual feel to many of the other entries.

GargoyleLesMiserables: More organ mayhem, like it as the circus comes to town looking for my wife Dave, with just a hint of Das Kabinett Des Dr Caligari, and that's no bad thing.

GargoyleToil - MrBlitz: Castle? Check. Possessed organ? Check. Madman in cloak fugueing away with no truck for yer decadent 'regular' scales? Check. Nice build towards the big chords at the end plus the fugue/canon(ish) rounds that separate left/right worked nicely.

Halloween Gargoyles - Xenobioz: Borrowing from the John Carpenter playbook is always a good idea in my book. Nice contrast in feel between the A and B themes. The Leslie effect works well on the organ sound.

Not very spooky - Ah-Dziz: Gargoyle does funky house. This pushes Gargoyle way beyond what I expected the synth to do. I was ready to throw out the rule about not voting for things that didn't follow the Halloween theme...but I didn't, sorry.

Revenge of the Custard - Tattiemannie: There's an unmade Troma film waiting for this. It's the Addams Family reimagined by David Lynch. The cello-ish sound is brilliant.

And so:

5 - Gargoyle Thing - Ah Dziz
3 - Halloween Gargoyles - Xenobioz
1 - Revenge of the Custard - Tattiemannie

(Dirge 13, GargoyleToil and GargoyLes Miserables came very close but, sadly missed out on the actual points).

Downloading the tracks right now :)

Who's the author of GargolyLes Miserables and where's the text file? (sorry, might be my computer's problem, but I can't find this information)

Ah .... Gargoyles miserables is by kukla. I took the text file out when I deleted the first attempt at gargoyles misarables on request, but obviously I have not made it clear that the text file had to be re-upped.
I have contacted kukla, and I will be a good egg and go rename that track file. :)

OK, done, and rescued the original txt file from the recycle bin

...oh, and I promised some time ago I would create an index of all relevant OSC links. well I've done it, and if you click on the 4shared link below in my sig, you will find a txt file with links to OSC folders, and to all previous OSC threads.

Gamma, cheers for the votes and the comments :tu:

hi guys, as usual in the last OSC I must say GREAT TRACKS +++++++ :D

here' the super hi quality streaming page :hihi:

STREAMING PAGE

enjoy
_____ QOTO on myspace_____

Edit ...ooops! wrong OSC ...( new prize is for OSC10 ) :oops:

BrainOvulation - Cheers for the streaming page! :tu:

On my way back from the pub last night, I bumped into Black Shuck - the legendary demon eyed dog of East Anglia. Luckily, I had my mp3 player to hand and quickly whipped the headphones around his shaggy, monstrous head. Music calmed the savage beast and he spoke forth:

Ah Dziz - Gargoyle Thing. Reminds me of a grisly opening to a Hollywood serial killer movie. Imagine blood spattered photos in a worn case folder. It's sick and I love it.

Dirge 13 - Jon Boyd. Jon always brings a certain amount of style to our competitions and here he combines this with the horror of being alone. Imagine a distant cottage surrounded by a bleak desolate moor. The trouble is there's something on the moor you really don't want to meet...

Ah Dziz - Not Very Spooky. Unlike my first too picks, no, not that spooky. Consider this the end credits of the serial killer movie. Our heroine has fought the good fight and is walking towards the dawn away from the horrors she has just seen. Shame the sequel won't be as good as the original :hihi:

Obviously a fun competition for one and all. I also favoured the tracks with a true element of scaring my pants off but I think I'm also pretty happy that they all represent well what Gargoyle can be bent to acheive.

Great stuff eveyone amd if you really do see Black Shuck, be afraid. Very afraid.

Mouxbar. :-o

xenobioz- halloween gargoyles 5
tattiemannie- revenge of the custard 3
jon boyd- dirge13 1
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

OK, I must begin with some apologies: here in Italy Halloween has only started spreading a few years ago, as little more than just another commercial thing, an occasion for companies to sell their products. Therefore, not having grown up with it, I am not a very good judge of what is halloweenish and what is not, so I'll just have to go with other parameters :(

Here we go:

- GargoyLes Miserables - 5 points:
Outrageous fun, creates in my mind exactly what it says on the box - Gargoyles and Les Miserables, perfect atmosphere!

- All tricks no treat - 3 points:
This guy wasn't just my worst nightmare in the last OSC, he's also pretty darn good! The intro with the guy running away from the monster is so hilarious that it'd deserve the points just for that, but the rest of the track is so awesome!

- Dirge 13 - 1 point:
Because it is such an intense dark ambient/soundtrack/whatever track - scary in a deep sense.

Return to “Instruments”