Music for Pictures: Dark City [cinematic instrumental?]

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dark City

In this exercise I walked a tad away from my comfort zone, also I tried to glue together some elements which don't often come together. At this point I'm not quite even sure myself, if this is good or lame.

Downloading, to take home and hear on something better than these puny headphones in my bag.

this is a soundtrack... your style!
Less busy than usual, reduced sound-set, the drums comes in unexpected but fits in very well.
it works for me

Cheers

I'm still not sure what I think of this once the drums come in. Before that I like it. On first listen I thought the drums kind of ruined things. Next listen I didn't think that; I thought it wasn't for me but made sense in a functional, soundtrack-music way. Now I think I like the thing altogether. Curious. Well, unless I suddenly hate it tomorrow, I'll leave it at that. Thanks.
No longer a moderator.

Thanks for comments. Combining slow strings, heavy drums, and sub-acid-bass was somehow the whole point here. Glad it more or less worked for you, personally I though that the bass thing is bolder than the drums here.

Nice soundtrack, I liked melody lines and ambiance.. at first time drums are weird, but after few listenings drums works quite well... good sounds ...

Brilliant!
Soundtracks are great places to experiment and bring new ideas.
Great track!
It would work well with a movie scene!
Thanks for sharing!

moody and cinematic... If I heard those drums on their own I'd be convinced they wouldn't work with your composition, but, strangely, they do!!! Good work and thanks for sharing :-)

The orchestrations could work well for a symphonic metal track. They ominously droll over a battle torn class of atmosphere with smoke and empty shadows.

I would have liked to have some sort of device transition the modern percussion. Perhaps some timpani rolls with cymbals, and other sonic elements that would create a smoother transition instead of sudden high hat eruptions. However, the high hat sizzling was fitting, if only inadequate.

My only other complaint would be the soundfonts you used for the strings. I wish that there were orchestration packages that could better control the attack of the strings (mid-bow, for instance).

Good job!

Sorry for re-heating that old dog, but I missed some nice replies while I was down - thanks.

I definitely wouldn't like to add any timpani here nor would I like a smooth transition to drum-part, that sharp encounter was sort of the whole point of this track.

I admit however that I did far from descent job on the string programming. The sounds are Vienna Symphonic patches that come bundled with Kontakt, they don't feature all articulations, but would be fair enough, if I have paid more attention to doing it properly. I should fix this someday.

Return to “Music Cafe”