Apple Loops to WAV

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So. I hate the way apple loops work. Always changing the key tempo etc. I don't know how to fight that. Is it a good idea to convert all apple loops to wav. Myabe there is a much simpler solution? Any hints would be appreciated!

Anyone?

chaoticz wrote:So. I hate the way apple loops work. Always changing the key tempo etc. I don't know how to fight that. Is it a good idea to convert all apple loops to wav. Myabe there is a much simpler solution? Any hints would be appreciated!
In Acid you can simply turn off the automatic-pitch-shift-to-key feature, and lay out loops as straight .wav files, as though they were not Acidized. Perhaps there is a setting in Garageband, or whatever host you are using to do that. Seems like it would be lots easier that way than converting your loops. :)

AppleLoops can either be AIFF files or CAF files (the new Apple audio format). Mostly they are just AIFF files with the extra slice information.

If you mean to just turn them to WAVE files without the slice info, simply convert the AIFF files to WAVE using a sample editor. Or just use the AIFF files by themselves (however, this doesn't work if the app you are using them in has a auto-detect feature taht looks for the slice info in AIFF files).

Or if what you are actually saying is you want to convert them to ACID files (which use WAVE but add the slice info), you can use Translator www.chickensys.com to do this. If converts AppleLoop AIFF files to ACIDized WAVE files.
Garth Hjelte
Chicken Systems, Inc.
support@chickensys.com
http://www.chickensys.com

All I want is to stop Logic pitchting those aiff files. Yes I'm aware of that I can't convert aiff ot wav with Logic because of that pitching. So I guess the only way would be some converter?

Perimeter Sound wrote:
chaoticz wrote:So. I hate the way apple loops work. Always changing the key tempo etc. I don't know how to fight that. Is it a good idea to convert all apple loops to wav. Myabe there is a much simpler solution? Any hints would be appreciated!
In Acid you can simply turn off the automatic-pitch-shift-to-key feature, and lay out loops as straight .wav files, as though they were not Acidized. Perhaps there is a setting in Garageband, or whatever host you are using to do that. Seems like it would be lots easier that way than converting your loops. :)
I wish there was such thing as tickbox which disables this "we'll help you to create awsomness"-shit.

chaoticz wrote:All I want is to stop Logic pitchting those aiff files. Yes I'm aware of that I can't convert aiff ot wav with Logic because of that pitching. So I guess the only way would be some converter?
Right. Logic looks at any incoming AIFF and if it has the requisite data chunks that make it an "AppleLoop", it then pitches it that way.

If you run it through a convertor and deliberately strip those chunks out, then Logic won't do that automatic thing for you.
Garth Hjelte
Chicken Systems, Inc.
support@chickensys.com

Is there a way to batch convert CAF files to Wav, without Logic and Mac?

dbPowerAmp didn't work

I believe Awave www.fmjsoft.com supports in some way CAF files, but that's Windows only. Perhaps SampleManager from AudioFile-Engineering can help, you can check. My company, Chicken Systems, is working on it but we don't support CAF as yet.

Very few apps support CAF so far. Apple is somewhat championing it, but putting all their Logic stuff in that format. I think the problem is that along with that, all these compression formats came into being, and that pushes some away from the whole concept.

Since CAF is meant to be a container for any audio, a CAF file can be ANYTHING. So it would be inevitable that even if an app supported CAF, it could only support a subset of the what a CAF file could offer. Perhaps that's why the app you tried didn't work.

The crux of the question here is "how can I get the CAF AppleLoops converted into regular audio", I guess.
Garth Hjelte
Chicken Systems, Inc.
support@chickensys.com

in you're on mac platform i'd suggest this :

http://www.audiofile-engineering.com/loopeditor/

- as it is, easy and free conversion to Wave (.wav) format

if your on PC, it shouldn't be a big pain to find a freeware that would do the conversion if the primary format on your Apple loops is AIFF (.aif)

chaoticz wrote:
Perimeter Sound wrote:
I wish there was such thing as tickbox which disables this "we'll help you to create awsomness"-shit.
Sorry to hear there isn't a way to do that with your host, with Acid you can choose any key, or turn all that off by selecting *none*. And you can always choose the tempo, and even change key/tempo throughout a track.

Have you tried contacting tech support (for your host app) and asking them if there is a work around to disable the automatic key/tempo matching feature ? It really seems like there ought to be a way, but I am a pc user and unfamiliar with the Logic program etc., so I do not know for sure that it is possible.

chaoticz wrote:I wish there was such thing as tickbox which disables this "we'll help you to create awsomness"-shit.
checkbox under track parameters call "No Transpose"
chickeneps wrote:The crux of the question here is "how can I get the CAF AppleLoops converted into regular audio", I guess.
..Well, if you ever tried quicktime...

Quicktime supports CAF on Win, can play them and save as mov files, but is there a way to batch convert? I can only do it a file by file, which is not gonna help me a lot.

Blackbyrd wrote:Quicktime supports CAF on Win, can play them and save as mov files, but is there a way to batch convert? I can only do it a file by file, which is not gonna help me a lot.
I'll try as soon as I can (give me at least the weekend) and I can put it in Translator Free. It'll support non-compressed formats.
Garth Hjelte
Chicken Systems, Inc.
support@chickensys.com

That would be a perfect solution. Please PM me when you release it! And thank you for that.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”