Empty sound bank after installing Proteus VX.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I got the Proteus VX from E_MU installed. So far no problem.
However no sounds are available. Once I try to open the Proteus X Composer v2.01.exb file I get the following message.:

This file C:\Program Files\Creative Professional\E-MU sound Central\Proteus X Composer v2.01.exb\Proteus X Composer v2.01.exb is not a valid EOS or Emulator X bank file.

How do I get the sounds loaded?

Antony41 wrote:I got the Proteus VX from E_MU installed. So far no problem.
However no sounds are available. Once I try to open the Proteus X Composer v2.01.exb file I get the following message.:

This file C:\Program Files\Creative Professional\E-MU sound Central\Proteus X Composer v2.01.exb\Proteus X Composer v2.01.exb is not a valid EOS or Emulator X bank file.

How do I get the sounds loaded?
Go to
C:\Program Files\Creative Professional\Proteus VX
and select the ProteusVX.exe

Right mouse button, properties and run it as Windows XP SP3 and as administrator.

Proteus-VX even runs in 7 64bit but my emulatorX2 doesn't

Thank you very much Vstream!

I am using Windows Vista.

In the properties dialog ProteusVX.exe, I marked execute as administrator (compatiblilty tab). Now the program starts from the start menu. However I have to give permission via the User Acount Control. It is not started automatically.

It is nice that I can use the ProteusVX now. But actually I want to use it in conjunction with Cubase5. So far it is not shown a VST instument in Cubase.

Though the dll has been placed in the vstplugins folder as shown:
C:\program files\Steinberg\Vstplugins\E-Mu\ProteusVX.dll

What must I do to enjoy the ProteusVX in conjunction with Cubase5?

Antony41 wrote:Thank you very much Vstream!

In the properties dialog ProteusVX.exe, I marked execute as administrator (compatiblilty tab). Now the program starts from the start menu. However I have to give permission via the User Acount Control. It is not started automatically.

It is nice that I can use the ProteusVX now. But actually I want to use it in conjunction with Cubase5. So far it is not shown a VST instument in Cubase.

I use SX3 and just run the installer and it works, not a problem! I'm hoping to upgrade to 5 so interested to know if this plugin is compatible with 5?

Vista and it's UAC....

I'm not a cubase user myself but proteusVX works in all vsti hosts I'm using.
Try to start the Cubase executable in Administratior mode too.

In Brainspawn forte the proteusVX (vsti version) takes about 20 seconds to load but when I start Brainspawn fortein admin mode proteusVX starts immediately.

Another thing you can try is to uninstall proteusvx and install it again in admin mode, XP3 emulation. (\Proteus VX\ProtVX\setup.exe, right mouse, ....)

I have copied the Proteus dll to the folder C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 5\VSTPlugins.
Now Proteus works within Cubase5.
However in order to load the sound banks I had to run Cubase as an administrator. On top of That I had to load Proteus X Composer v2.01.exb file manually.

I find the volume level of the Proteus somewhat to low. How can I fix that.

Is there a way to use the Proteus without running Cubase as an administrator?

P.S.: I also came along the ZynAddSubFX dll in the wrong folder. So I copied that one to the right folder as well. So that is a nice side effect. However only the default sound works.
The sound bank is empty for some reason. I will start a seperate thread for this problem.

I find this rather strange, but... opening the bank in Proteus standalone with admin privileges, fiddling around a little switching presets and saving changes on exit seems to fix things up somehow.

However I also gave "full control" permissions to "authenticated users" group on that particular file. I am discarding this to be the solution because restoring previous permissions does not seem to disable me from loading the bank in VSTi mode hosted on REAPER without privileges again. Just... keep in mind that I did that also if the "saving changes" thing does not work.

Proteus X Composer v2.0.1.exb is loading ok in standalone and VSTi now. Still must load manually though.

Regards.

Vstream wrote: Proteus-VX even runs in 7 64bit but my emulatorX2 doesn't
That's a big reason why I don't want to leave XP. EmulatorX isn't popular enough to cause much buzz on KVR, or anywhere else. I'm a little upset that the upgrade price from X2 to X3 is the same as X1 to X3. E-mu is great, but Creative blows.
Fig Newton: The force required to accelerate a fig 39.37 inches per sec.

I had problems with Proteus VX not finding the Composter 2.01 sound bank. (Windows 7, 64 bit) What was strange was that Proteus VX could find and all of the soundbanks that came with the Proteus X and 2x2 midi interface.

I found a partial fix. I re-downloaded the composer bank from the emu site, but I put it in its own folder separate from the rest of my Proteus sounds. I opened the composer folder, right-clicked on the .exb composer file and selected "open with" (chosing Proteus VX). Also, I shift clicked the "open with" to open the program in administrator mode. This lets me run the composer bank in stand-alone mode.
Steve Conslaw

Put your hands up and come out slowly. He has a synthesizer, and he's not afraid to use it.

Antony41 wrote:I have copied the Proteus dll to the folder C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 5\VSTPlugins.
Now Proteus works within Cubase5.
However in order to load the sound banks I had to run Cubase as an administrator. On top of That I had to load Proteus X Composer v2.01.exb file manually.

I find the volume level of the Proteus somewhat to low. How can I fix that.

Is there a way to use the Proteus without running Cubase as an administrator?

P.S.: I also came along the ZynAddSubFX dll in the wrong folder. So I copied that one to the right folder as well. So that is a nice side effect. However only the default sound works.
The sound bank is empty for some reason. I will start a seperate thread for this problem.
zyn banks: menu Instrument 'show instrument bank', click the triangle widget at the top,
to the the left of the 'Refresh Bank List' button.

There are collections of .xmz files, load these with the 'open parameters' menu option.
Some nice sounds. A link is in the OSC sticky thread.

Cheers

Thanks so much for the post. I was experiencing the same problem. Just came to the site and discovered your notes and I am up and running.

Gracias.

Strange, I cannot control the program change from Cantabile. Also the programs are not loaded into Cantabile. Is there a way to get this fixed?

Get dimension pro and then add the Digital Sound Factory Emu presets for $99. lots more emu presets and you can take that content and work with it in other synths as well.

Thanks for the info. Got it up and running in Win8!

I wonder if it was installed outside of "program files" if it would work right out of the box. Win8 is very protective of the "program files" area.

I would recommend to install all your plugins outside the c:\program files as this usually avoids all kind of trouble.

This is especially the case with EMU products. in Vista and later many VST hosts disable access to Program Files or anything outside the VST plugins directory and this causes EMU products to malfunction. For example Emulator X3 copy protection will fail in that case as it needs to access some dll files inside the c:\program files\creative. It has caused me a lot of grief and time spent on troubleshooting in the past until i managed to solve that problem. And as EMU is dead there was no help coming from them.

Also as EMU libraries for Dimension are concerned they are not as good as they are in ProteusVX/EmulatorX3. In Dimension they are thin sounding and lack liveliness but in ProteusVX/EmulatorX3 they are lush, full sounding and make use of all the EMU filters and modulating options. In ProteusVX/EmulatorX3 they sound almost as good as in original hardware modules.
No signature here!

Return to “Instruments”