License Transfers

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

Because of recent events I feel urged to point out some things about my license transfer policy:

Licenses for MFM, Zebra, ACE and Uhbik can and will only be transferred after 9 months of ownership, and at no cost. This is my way of preventing fraud while at the same time sticking to a simple copy protection (serial number, works on multiple computers).

It has become kind of common that licenses could be transferred earlier if the new licensee agrees to top up the "incubation time" by the missing months. I have originally done that in some rare cases, e.g. if people were in dire need of money or produced other good reasons. In all of these cases the original license holders had had the license for several months.

In recent weeks I was flooded with some remarkable requests for license transfers, e.g. only a few weeks or even days after a purchase, no reason given etc. So, the exception has become the common case and I again observe those traveling licenses that I tried to avoid.

So from now on there'll not be any license transfers after only a few weeks or days. In cases where a good reason can be produced, I am willing to help out, e.g. if the current owner of the license agrees to a moderate transfer fee, say, 3$ for each month missing.

I am however open to ideas and stuff, and I'll certainly work something out, such as a license transfer website to speed things up in the future.

Cheers,

;) Urs
Last edited by Urs on Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seems fair to me!

I've always liked the 9 month rule, since it's a long enough period to positively know if you will really use something or not.

I've never liked transfer fees, but I understand the need to protect yourself from fraud and having a $3 charge for each month missed, does seem like a fair trade off, simply as a reminder to not abuse the 9 month rule.

At least, that's my take on the issue. 8)

This is very good info, I was looking for Zebra in the Market place before I bought it from the U he site, I should reiterate that $199 is still a GREAT deal for this synth, I've pointed out to some friends that I think a hard ware version would most likely be around $2800 for this?

As for an LT site, AudioDamage has a great system, you can do transfers form with in your AD account once. I've bought Tattoo that way and just bought back Bigseq2 which I had sold to help cover the cost of Reaktor which I got the sale price on form NI, BOY, I've got a lot of synth stuff to learn :D

Oh! Urs! when you gonna' do a Drum Machine mate?? :hyper:

abstractcats wrote:Oh! Urs! when you gonna' do a Drum Machine mate?? :hyper:
I've just done my 51st drum machine for German Sound & Recording Magazine... but that doesn't really count.

I'm looking into it. There are various ideas (including something really new), but not yet any time... :cry:

Urs wrote:
I've just done my 51st drum machine for German Sound & Recording Magazine... but that doesn't really count.

I'm looking into it. There are various ideas (including something really new), but not yet any time... :cry:
Just curious... are you thinking of a synth only or sample only or hybrid drum machine? I know... there's no time, but again, just curious what might be available down the line! :)

:)
Cool, a drum thing.
yeah!
:wheee:

Urs wrote: It has become kind of common that licenses could be transferred earlier if the new licensee agrees to top up the "incubation time" by the missing months. I have originally done that in some rare cases, e.g. if people were in dire need of money or produced other good reasons. In all of these cases the original license holders had had the license for several months.
Hmmm, I have been guilty there. Sold my ACE license a few months after buying it new. Didn't give any reason as I can recall and I thought it was like you said quite "common" to do. Didn't know it was only allowed on rare occasions.. Sorry Urs!

Maybe it's an idea to look differently at first and second hand licenses have a maximum incubation time on which it is absolutely forbidden in any case to sell the license. Like 12 months or so. That way the second hand licenses are very hard to resell, but the people that bought it new do have a little "advantage" there and if they get in financial trouble or something you can always help them out within their 9 months incubation time.

Nielzie,

Hehehe, it's not you. Until the banking crisis began I had an average of about one license transfer in 2-3 months. Since a bit less than two years I'm experiencing waves of license transfers with up to 2 a day, and few weeks with less than 1. Now, the crisis and panic attacks are one side of the thing, but another side is the recent draught of working warez. If I become too lenient with my transfer policy, it might be the next best thing (they buy a license and sell it the neext day).

;) Urs

Urs wrote:

You are the one, who coded the ltm-drummachines for s&r? :D

Perhaps you should make in one of the next ltm-drummachines some ace-drumsamples :wink:

This is the fairest transfer policy comprimise I've seen in software.

I would also expect anyone who buys a plug-in to take the demo version for a good spin before buying it so I don't quite understand how someone buys a plug-in and wants sells it only a few days or weeks later.

I really don't like license transfer fees so your solution of a 9 month no-transfer period is a superb way to avoid those fees.
Rekkerd.org the latest news on audio plugins, sample libraries & virtual instruments, synth presets & more.
Don't click here if you can't control yourself!

slowriot wrote:This is the fairest transfer policy comprimise I've seen in software.
AFAIK the ones of Audio Damage are massively great as they even have a money-back thing and stuff. I envy Chris and Adam for their calmness, I would go nuts being afraid that hundreds of people want their money back at once. On the other hand they don't have demo versions, which is a quite unique approach too.

;) Urs

core wrote:I would also expect anyone who buys a plug-in to take the demo version for a good spin before buying it so I don't quite understand how someone buys a plug-in and wants sells it only a few days or weeks later.
Well, whenever news and hype are produced, some people will become impulse buyers. The same accounts for Group Buys and whatever else specials can happen. Many impulse buyers are happy, but I assume that some buy not because they want the actual thing but because they like the opportunity.

;) Urs

Cyforce wrote: Perhaps you should make in one of the next ltm-drummachines some ace-drumsamples :wink:
good idea!!
whats a sig?

I'm not looking to transfer my license but to get me associated with the current license I have.
my girlfriend bought me Zebra2 awhile back but it's got her listed and her email associated with Zebra2.

How do I just update that info to get my name and email associated with my Zebra2.

Thanks for any info.

If my girlfriend needs to get involved let me know as well, she can read her email and cc me on it as well.

Thanks.

You can PM as well. :D

Return to “u-he”