[embarassing awesomeness] please help fix my mixes

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://www.xoxos.net/music/payola.mp3
http://www.xoxos.net/music/3notes.mp3
http://www.xoxos.net/music/thesea.mp3
http://www.xoxos.net/music/soblue.mp3

hey

i'm using $7 earbuds as monitors. i recently got a chance to run these through one of those little 7 watt or whatever guitar amps (with nothing above 2k) and noticed that there's an awfully large amount of bass in the originals.

so, using my best estimates i've trimmed the bass back, of course, since i have no monitors, i have no way of authenticating the mix. and as you may know, a 2x bass heavy mix is unlistenable.

i'm guessing the kick, bass and snare are still bad in these.. but.. at least not swamping the mix.. i'm using 'payola' for something, so i'm especially interested in hearing if the kick/bass/snare are at least fairly reasonable..

up, down, what do you say?

it's like painting blind :p
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Just go for some reasonable monitors !
How you can expect to mix properly with this shitty earplugs ?

Unbelievable ...

(( D ))

easy answer not everyone has money for speakers or new ear phones he did not ask you for shopping advice ill have a listen and let you no m8!

Any answer and any advice I give is just my business !

And your reply wasn't that helpful as well !

If someone is taking the subject mixing serious than 7$ earplugs aren't

very helpful !

Do we really have to talk about implicitnesses ?

So don't waste my time Horst and have a listen yourself !

I am curious to hear your expertise ! ;-)

(( D ))

Still a little too bass heavy after the 0:30 mark when that first percussion lines comes in. I'm useless when it comes to speaking about decibels in this context, but if my understanding is correct I think you want to bring the bass down half a decibel.

XOXO's you can get ref headphones, but good ones are as expensive as real ref speakers. What you could do is listen to the music in your car. This is one of those Ghetto tricks that many who do music do, if you dont own a car ask your parents or relative to borrow theirs. Get a reference CD and try to mimic a commercial CD, by what you hear in the earphones and listen to the final product that you created in your car. Make corrections on what you hear from your car stereo, rinse and repeat the process until you get it sounding the way you want it to.

Normally when it sounds good in your car it will sound decent generally everywhere else.

I know a few who do this, they generally take a listen to it in their car stereo.

Good hunting

I like these songs

IMO you can get some decent midpriced cans (Sony MDR-7506 - $90) and learn to mix in them (ala compensate) and you'll do fine.

BTW What vocoder are you using?

these are like the ultimate in low fi indie pop. very nicely written and executed, the sort of thing i'll find myself humming later. like a stripped back demo for the postal service.

i don't think they were too bass heavy, i'd possibly cut a little back, maybe at low mid rather than actual bass but i'd have to listen a few more times to really comment.

very hummable though 8) is that breathcube stuff doing the vox or is it a more straight forward vocoder treatment of your voice ?

cheers,

steve.

Payola sounds quite well balanced to me. I would say the bass drum could afford to be louder by a few dB. And perhaps a little overall EQ cut around 200Hz ish.

Nice track.

thanks for the mix opinions :)

and for the good advice on gear.. i live in a tent and i don't feel like replacing my akgs or events just yet, so given advice on given terms is appreciated :)
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Not sure, if a comment from between 100$ earplugs are worth anything, but I will comment anyway...

listening to 3notes: bass and kick sound strange like drowned in some reverb?, and are two bits two heavy, especially bass drum; snare, hats and crashes are missing the upper part, like low-passed

now listening to payola: bass sounds good, bass drum lacks a bit of punch, percussion high parts are better here, this one sounds generally better and brighter

Payola is a really nice song. Low end is probably what you are expecting given the buds.. not really well defined..but level/balance wise not miles off (IIRs is probably on the money with some 200hz cuts)..

I probably wouldn't have given it a thought without your asking as the song/vocal line is very well put together. :tu:

these tracks are all made with my various modeling vst.. vocals are syng2, drums are cymbal/mass of the 'mass-springs' vst set. some emulative patches are more successful than others (the cyms in 3notes = not, the hats in the dance #s i'm quite pleased with afa 909 emus)

i'm s.o.l. for good mixing, though there's some possibility that i may be able to get my old akgs, which is why i haven't bought new phones (i wonder how i thought i could live without them, but.. "if you're leaving _your_ monitors, do headphones matter?? does anything matter??") so i'm not springing for better phones while i ought to be putting my $ towards other priorities..

i'm almost finished with a pov-ay video for 'payola,' which is why i quite appreciate the mix comments on that! :) "vocal line very well put together.." well, there's certainly been enough of the form made available to me over the years (wasn't it pat benatar who said that she put "baby" in every song as the clincher for successful pop rock..)

Return to “Music Cafe”