Access Virus

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hellooooo

Hope everyones fine!

This is my first topic in this forum and hope to be a good member to KVR.

I have been in a dilemma recently to get an Access virus TI or not?
Here is my story, I have been producing for a while and now see a need to get an Access virus or nord lead. Money is an object big time so i cant really go out there and pick up one. Few days ago, came across this ad on the internet which advertising access virus TI desktop for 1100$??What??? righttttt!

I called them to see what the catch was and they said we are the whole-seller and we deal with bulk stuffs generally and thats why we give you cheap deal! (Company is in Taiwan!) Now, i just want to know about you guys opinions and see could this be a real deal? i mean 1100$ for an access virus? its like 100% cheaper than any other places i know!
Should i go for it?

Finally, do i really need an access virus or Nord to create a standard track? (Every Dj who i know has one). Can i be professional just with my VSTs?

Really appreciate if you guys can share some ideas on this.

Good Luck

If money is tight as you say it is, then you really need to sharpen up my friend or you will lose what you have in less time than it took you to type that post..
you should never part with that sort of cash without seeing the goods.. and certainly not to some mirage company in Taiwan

sorry to be a damp squib, but there are thousands of untraceable con artists out there looking for your money and they pray on people looking for bargains.. if it looks too good to be true, then it probably is

only buy what you can take home with you

as far as the other part of your question goes... it's not hardware or software that makes good production, it's skills.. hone your skills with the kit you've got and you will know what(if any) changes you need in your setup

:D
Last edited by Chevytraveller on Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Macbook Pro 15", Motu 896, Novations, Logic8, Reason
Korg legacy, ACE, Alchemy, Emax II Turbos (3), Evolver Keyboard, Pulse, MS20, The beginnings of a modular...

first off virus ti is an amazing instrument!but listen do not even think about buying hardware if you can not program software vsts etc you can create sounds just as good if not better from vsts and roms!i.e nexus(yes i said it).just because everyone i no has a mac im not going to go out and buy one its all up to the person producing if i were you i would get some nice vsts explore what they can do and learn to tweak them and create sounds before you even think about getting hardware remember hardware is not like microphones etc they all sound different and have totally different ways of working do not get a ti cause everyone has one why not look at a prophet 08 or something that is not as common but just as amazing an instrument hope i helped and good luck with your decision and remember 1000 is a lot of money! :wink:

Thank you guys very much, you are right maybe i should wait and get some where with what i have before spending on another kit.

ashbehts wrote:Finally, do i really need an access virus or Nord to create a standard track?
If you can't answer that for yourself then you don't need a virus, a nord or any other synth ...

apart from being the laziest producer ....

I own a virus ti and virus c....

couldnt be happier with them... they both sound massive....

very easy to fit them into a mix too...

i paid $1100(aud) second hand for the virus c (actually previously owned by binary finary)

the ti i paid for $1800(usd) brand new?? if i remember correctly

the synths just sound so nice... in fact its hard to make them sound shit in a mix... anything they do, they do well :)

enjoy i know you'll get it

on another note the $1100 for a virus ti doesnt suprise me since the virus TI2 is out now so thats probably why the price dropped..

id suggest paying with paypal since you get the insurance in case of a**hole tactics by your seller

ciao

pac0r wrote:id suggest paying with paypal since you get the insurance in case of a**hole tactics by your seller
They only deal with western union for an item and TT for bulk.

bugger

well i cant really help you there :P

ashbehts wrote:
pac0r wrote:id suggest paying with paypal since you get the insurance in case of a**hole tactics by your seller
Then it's definitely a scam.. send money through Western Union and you might as well flush it.. :!:
Macbook Pro 15", Motu 896, Novations, Logic8, Reason
Korg legacy, ACE, Alchemy, Emax II Turbos (3), Evolver Keyboard, Pulse, MS20, The beginnings of a modular...

I personally think it's much easier to learn synthesis if you have the physical knobs in front of you. Both the Access Virus and the Nord Lead are great synths IMO. However the Virus engine is way more versatile. I've owned a Virus Snow, a Nord Rack 2X and now have a Virus Classic. This (or another older Virus) could be a good option for you (I picked mine up for €250). It has all the most important knobs right in front of you. You'd be missing out on the TI functionality but I don't miss it too much to be honest - the extra latency it added was, at times quite troublesome.

Latency issues are now fixed - there's a direct monitoring function, which efffectively routes the synth out to the speakers, and just sends the MIDI data down the USB. Likewise, at least on Logic, there are no issues with USB anymore.

I also need to debunk the whole 'VIrus C sounds better' malarkey. The C may sound more pure VA, but that's only because its palette is limited compared to the TI. If you permanently disabled the graintables, wavetables, supersaw, formant filters, advanced FX, ring mods, step sequencer, tape delays, atomiser and USB-mode TI specifics, then it'd sound just the same as a C. Only better, because you're still left with oodles more polyphony due to the dual DSP processors.

I will add this, though; much as I'm not one to preach about the Virus superiority [I've always advocated that it's really just a powercore card and dedicated VSTi with a wonderful interface], the Virus filter sound is pretty much the gold standard for darker dance styles. Oft imitated, never bettered.
11, 418th in line to the KVR throne

just go to a music store and play with one...question answered (for me, anyway...). unfortunately this thing cost as much as my quad-core computer! now, its a nice synth, but it is nowhere near capable of producing the range of sounds you can get out of native instruments kore sound packs! get a $1500 amd multi-core laptop, a midi keyboard controller, kore 2, ni finger, ni evolve+evolve 2, deep reconstructions and you're at the price of a ti2 with way more sound generation and mangling capability.
overthrow KRAPITALISM ! you have nothing to lose but your claims.

I can't tell you how much I enjoy the Virus Snow, when I first got it I was a bit frustrated and overwhelmed, it was buggy, and the way its layed out is much different than other synths..

But flash back to 1.5 years later, this synth is on version 4 and solid as a rock,even though it was frustrating at first has taught me more about synthesis than reading any book did....

(Keeping in mind I make electronic music like breaks, house and garage)

I say save some money and get this synth, it was a great buy, and my other synths like my FM8 and Albino soud great layered with this monster...

The integration is something I have been seeking in other instruments but have yet to find, specifically the automation of parameters right inside my DAW.

ashbehts wrote:

DON'T DO THAT!

Just a heads up, if you're still looking for a Virus, you might want to consider the Powercore + Virus plugin. From what I understand the bugs are out of it now and you can get the Powercore Express from jrrshop.com for $360 (with "forum" discount coupon code) which includes a $500 coupon voucher that you can get the Virus plugin with! :shock:

http://www.jrrshop.com/catalog/electron ... b7fb795844

I have to say I'm tempted...
You are currently reading my signature.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”