Zyklus Improvisor, real-time harmonic sequencer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Step 2, implementing the clocks is nearly finished. Also, a lot of user actions are now synchronized to a 'quantize' clock, so they happen in sync with the music. This quantize setting is user definable. (1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 and 1/1 bar.)

Hi there, how is it progressing.

cosmonauttransfer wrote:Hi there, how is it progressing.
slow, it's too hot overhere to make long hours behind the computer

Hi Bronswerk,
How is Zyklus progressing. It was an exciting looking project.
yours dave

cosmonauttransfer wrote:Hi Bronswerk,
How is Zyklus progressing. It was an exciting looking project.
yours dave
I'm getting somewhere! Just yesterday I was able to record and playback sequences. It's buggy, but hey it works! I need to implement here and there some safety methods, but that counts for the whole project. I was pleased to see that Windows Taskmanager showed about 1-2% average (max 6%) CPU when 8 sequences are running on 120 BPM. Since 90% is programmed in Java (more then 2000 lines of code by now) I was a bit worried about this, but it looks ok.

What is working:
1. reading and writing all settings, scenes and sequencer data from/to file.
2. the THRU button/function for switching real time input on a slot basis, without note hanging if you switch THRU off while still playing some notes.
3. recording and playback of sequences, see above.
4. quantization of sequences as a playback parameter, range from 1/128 to 1/4 of a note.
5. syncing to midi clock.

To do:
1. implementation of the chord analyzer, I want to make my own one instead of relying on a third party Max object.
2. implementing arpeggiatiors.

This list is not complete, but now you have an idea.

Hi Bronswerk
It sounds very comprehensive. If it is standalone I plan to use it in my spacemusic/ambient projects and live. Judging by what I've seen on your videos, it would be one of two must-have apps, along with ableton, that I would want for live gigs. I hope you don't think me rude if I ask how much this app might retail for.

Hi,

I've also found this app very very interesting.
I'd die for a Max Live version (or a MIDI VSTi), and I'd pay for it of course.
;)

cosmonauttransfer wrote:Hi Bronswerk
It sounds very comprehensive. If it is standalone I plan to use it in my spacemusic/ambient projects and live. Judging by what I've seen on your videos, it would be one of two must-have apps, along with ableton, that I would want for live gigs. I hope you don't think me rude if I ask how much this app might retail for.
As I can see, this aplication has no real competition because nobody developed program that support several harmonizable and recordable independent midibuffers in all those years after the original hardware was made. This application deserves highprice and hugh sales.

bronswerk wrote:According to this thread ( http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=131409 ) someone suggested a dedicated thread for this program made in Max/Msp was maybe a better way to inform interested people. So here it is.

What is Zyklus Improvisor? In a nutshell it's a 8-track midi looper were you can use chord recognition to modulate to other key scales in real time. The program is a prototype and I say deliberately "prototype", because I'm not sure if I ever get to the point were I feel it's 100% ironed out. There are quirks and bugs, but at this stage it's workable.

Anyway, a picture says more then 1000 words, so I have made a little Youtube video. Judge by yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDZUUOKuL0Y

Oh, before anyone asks when it comes out, I'm planning to publish the files needed to run it in Max. Take it "AS IS". I'm not giving support or such, because if I do that I'm afraid I don't have the time for anything else. :D
Zyklus Improvisor' What a superb idea, it looks good & sounds good too, you really should take it to the point, where people will download it & keep it, because its a valuable TOOL? 8)

test of recording sequences, Improvisor is synced with Live (drums) in the background.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlqzUdAmhDw

(video is limited time on Youtube)

This is sounding and looking great!!! I applaud your hard work and perseverance on this project. I think it will be well worth the effort and be a most wonderful tool!!!
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

I did not hear any "lefthand" harmonization now. Does it still exist?

maki wrote:I did not hear any "lefthand" harmonization now. Does it still exist?
Don't worry, it will be there. What would it be without it?
The video was more or less intended that development is still going on. Just to give you an idea of how it looks today.

Hi bronswerk

Do you still plan to release this as a free application?

carfian wrote:Hi bronswerk

Do you still plan to release this as a free application?
I'm in doubt to be honest. Since I've invested so much time in it, I feel that some rewarding would be nice. I was thinking of about 50 euros or so for a paid version. But this project is still far from finished.

Return to “Instruments”