jackwasio or wineasio under snow leo?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dewdman42 wrote:and by the way, when you execute regsvr32 wineasio.dll you should see the following success message:

Code: Select all

Successfully registered DLL wineasio.dll
If you don't, then either wine is not configured correctly, or you didn't copy the DLL to the right place or you tried to execute it the wrong way.
regserver32 was never my friend :bang: :hihi:

reaper generally works fine for me, so not sure what is up with your setup, but I'm sure you can get it working. Do not try to open the ASIO control panel, that will crash.

jackwasio only appears to support 2 outputs and no inputs. I'm not at all sure about sample rate, I think that is what you configure with JackOSX and then wineasio just follows what it does. Try it and let us know, I'm not sure I never tried higher sample rates.

For midi, make sure you create some IAC virtual midi ports using the apple audio midi utility. The IAC port you plan to use has to be enabled before you launch the win32 reaper or else reaper doesn't see it. I am not sure about Vaz. Probably the same. but once you do that it will show up and work fine.

OK so I gather you are running Reaper in wine/crossover as well. I'm running it in OSX. If I have Jack open and start Reaper, Jack either doesn't see Reaper or it gives an error and locks up. Since Vaz can capture its own output there is really no urgent need for me to install Reaper in a bottle as well. I was more considering it w/regard to multi-tracking.

You were right about Jack setting the sample rate and it also appears that using a midi controller works fine without needing to do anything much.

Will try winery to see if I can save some money... Crossover is on sale this weekend.

Thanks for your help.

][oyd

I also find wineskin to be simpler once you get the hang of how it works. But anyway its free. hehe.

Mainly I run reaper with Jamstix, OP-X Pro and a couple other win32 plugins. Reaper works very well I'm surprised you're having problems with it.

as far as not seeing repear in JackOSX router, it should show up, I don't have an explanation for the problems you're having, that part of it always works very well for me. A few years ago when I was using older versions of reaper and crossover I was occasionally having some problems, so I don't know if that is related here. Try Wineskin, maybe it will be better. Crossover has a lot of extra stuff added and back then I was never able to get crossover Pro to work, I had to use CrossOver Games. But but nwo I think they have consolidated their products so I have no idea.

But what I can say is that WineSkin works really well and its free, and I haven't ahd any problems with reaper at all.

Here try this: download this:

http://www.rayzoontech.com/stuff/JamstixWine.dmg

I actually created that for Jamstix. That is a wineskin already created with JackWASIO, Reaper and Jamstix demo preinstalled. You can remove the jamstix demo and install any other plugins or apps you want, but it should be ready to roll as is, you can download this and launch it with JackOSX running and you should see some version of reaper running.

Also, read the JackOSX docs and make sure you ahve those prefs set, maybe that is causing wineasio to cough. Try larger buffer setting there for now.

I'm racing ahead of you.
Have a wineskin and yeah it is running fast and well. I think the reaper issues I have something to do with turning things on in the correct order and correct sample rate as I just had the same issue with Ableton Live. Am out of time so will report back later.

EDIT
Actually scratch that - it was working well but then it crashed, started locking up when accessing the preferences and now it locks up during loading everytime. Even after reboot and after fixing permissions. My guess is that it has trashed its prefs however it Also the GPU is heating up something shocking.
Crossover seems to at least work but exiting the program always generates an error.

Might be time for me to take this to the Vaz forum. Thanks for your help with wineasio.

If you're running native OSX Reaper and you've got another ASIO application -- such as JACK -- accessing your sound card, you may need to check whether your sound card driver allows multiple concurrent access. (I thought this was less of a problem on OSX?)

On Windows, JACK comes with a JackRouter, another virtual ASIO driver (like wineasio but native). I don't know if the OSX version has this? If so, you could run Reaper, change it's output to select JackRouter, exit, then start JACK and run Reaper again. This way you shouldn't get conflicting attempts to open the sound card.

pljones wrote:If you're running native OSX Reaper and you've got another ASIO application -- such as JACK -- accessing your sound card, you may need to check whether your sound card driver allows multiple concurrent access. (I thought this was less of a problem on OSX?)
Check... thanks pljones. I found something similar just before your post. Multiple concurrent audio devices is disabled by default on OSX version of Reaper. Also seems that the crashes and lock-ups stop by setting all the relevant applications to the same sampling rate as Jack BEFORE I load Jack. Setting them and quitting. Then reloading them after loading Jack.

Not that it is working flawlessly... I'm still getting a crash after exiting most of the time. But it does seem to be functional.

Actually found running Vaz and the wineasio dll with the latest Crossover (12) works pretty much flawlessly. Occasional errors on closing but that happens in Bootcamp as well.

Can you tell what's throwing the errors - Vaz, Crossover or wineasio?

pljones wrote:Can you tell what's throwing the errors - Vaz, Crossover or wineasio?
Well I think it might be Vaz because I have similar errors on exiting in Bootcamp.
How do I tell the difference?
I do find that I have issues if I run an unfamiliar audio setup. I need to find and trash Vaz preferences file because it will refuse to load until I do.

If it happens in Bootcamp, too, then that's good enough for me not to worry ;). As to how to tell, I don't really know -- wine has a variety of traces and diagnostics that get emitted to the console but it's always hard to decide (a) which to request and (b) what it all means...

Ok I think I do have an interesting repeatable problem that is unique to Crossover, WineAsio and a particular machine, namely my MacMini. The same app (Vaz Modular) works perfectly fine in the same OS (10.6.8), same Crossover (12) on my Macbook Pro.

Here is a screen grab of the error I am repeatedly getting.

This error comes up when I choose WineAsio as the option in preferences. It also pops up if I change the sample rate while WineAsio is selected and if I try to start the DSP.
Following this error I cannot exit the program without force quitting.
When reloading I receive a wine shutdown error as below.

If I click "Show Details" I get this screen which never seems to update (I've left it for an hour or so).

Any ideas? Further tests to make?

Ok i'm thinking there is something weird stopping wineasio from working on my MacMini.
I tried EnergyXT and the Nord G2 demo also to no avail. Neither of them crash or give an error message like Vaz... just nothing getting to JackPilot.
I've since then upgraded to Mountain Lion, reinstalled Crossover 12, installed Energy XT and wineasio following all the instructions and it still fails to work. I am however able to use Soundflower and my USB sound device with directsound. With all the latency that entails.
On my MacbookPro with Snow Leopard the Wineasio to jack router thing works fine.

Does Jackosx work in general on your ML?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”