What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

SyntheticAurality
KVRAF

7478 posts since 2 Apr, 2002, from Tulsa, OK, USA

Postby SyntheticAurality; Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:10 am

I think I'm going to hang on to the p-rail and install it/have it installed in my Strat once I get my Tele. The humbucker in the Strat is the thing that isn't quite up to par,everything else on the instrument is great.

Off to Guitar Center for cables, gotta hook up my Tascam recorder today! And find a shipping box... :hihi: :hihi:
Uncle E
KVRAF

6682 posts since 21 Nov, 2000, from Southern California

Postby Uncle E; Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:18 am

morelia wrote:How could I get an idea of what the P Rails sound like?

The main benefit of the P-Rails is the versatile switching possibilities. As a straight humbucker, I personally think there are better things available.
Redeem the 11% "FORUM" or 16% "GROUP" coupons at:
Uncle E
KVRAF

Postby Uncle E; Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:29 am

woolyloach wrote:I think I'm going to hang on to the p-rail and install it/have it installed in my Strat once I get my Tele.

An awesome switching system for a P-Rail in a strat would be:

P-Rail P-90 bridge
P-Rail P-90 bridge + middle
P-Rail Rail Coil bridge + neck
middle + neck
neck

Then, add a "blower" switch that solos the P-Rail humbucker and bypasses all the knobs and the 5-way switch. By bypassing the knobs, you'll get some extra highs and volume out of the P-Rail humbucker, which would otherwise sound super dull going through the 250K pots (it's a dull sounding humbucker even compared to other humbuckers, even through 500K pots).
SyntheticAurality
KVRAF

Postby SyntheticAurality; Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:48 am

Uncle E wrote:
woolyloach wrote:I think I'm going to hang on to the p-rail and install it/have it installed in my Strat once I get my Tele.

An awesome switching system for a P-Rail in a strat would be:

P-Rail P-90 bridge
P-Rail P-90 bridge + middle
P-Rail Rail Coil bridge + neck
middle + neck
neck

Then, add a "blower" switch that solos the P-Rail humbucker and bypasses all the knobs and the 5-way switch. By bypassing the knobs, you'll get some extra highs and volume out of the P-Rail humbucker, which would otherwise sound super dull going through the 250K pots (it's a dull sounding humbucker even compared to other humbuckers, even through 500K pots).

I'll have to have a longer convo with the tech at GC - today I got a nice estimate for a straight swap, very affordable! :-o Not sure I WANT all that switching, I just want to find a use for the P-Rails and replacing the 'bucker in my Strat is perfect.

But NOTHING happens until I get a second guitar. I don't want to be guitarless for more than a few days! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Uncle E
KVRAF

Postby Uncle E; Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:12 pm

woolyloach wrote:I'll have to have a longer convo with the tech at GC - today I got a nice estimate for a straight swap, very affordable! :-o Not sure I WANT all that switching, I just want to find a use for the P-Rails and replacing the 'bucker in my Strat is perfect.

Maybe it'll work out well. My first thought was that the P-Rail is already a dark sounding humbucker so putting it with the 250K pots would be horrible. However, I can also imagine that a dark bridge humbucker might balance nicely with the strat middle and neck pickups, allowing you to set your amp bright and have it sound good with any pickup setting.
morelia
KVRAF

3985 posts since 15 May, 2002, from Brisbane , Australia

Postby morelia; Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:12 pm

Uncle E wrote:

The main benefit of the P-Rails is the versatile switching possibilities. As a straight humbucker, I personally think there are better things available.
Thanks. I'll look them up but to be honest I'm happy with a three way switch for variation. When funds allow I'll likely add Slash Alnicos unless there is a better idea pops up.
My Music >>> °morelia ° Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz, 12gb, Windows 7 (64), Focusrite Saffire 6 USB
Hink
Rad Grandad

24988 posts since 5 Sep, 2003, from New England U.S.A.

Postby Hink; Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:29 pm

morelia wrote:
Uncle E wrote:

Thanks. I'll look them up but to be honest I'm happy with a three way switch for variation. When funds allow I'll likely add Slash Alnicos unless there is a better idea pops up.

I dont think I would put p-rails in any of my standard six string guitars but I am surprised more people have not used them in a baritone like I do...that dark sounding works well with a baritone :tu:
a new musical piece that is not a song because it has no vocals LBS
morelia
KVRAF

Postby morelia; Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:27 pm

Hink wrote:
morelia wrote:
Uncle E wrote:

I dont think I would put p-rails in any of my standard six string guitars but I am surprised more people have not used them in a baritone like I do...that dark sounding works well with a baritone :tu:
I've spent too much time playing and not enough tinkering. Having said that I need every minute of play time just to maintain my current low standard of playing.

I wish I had more of an idea with guitar surgery but with this one I'm not so scared to mess up a little.
My Music >>> °morelia ° Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz, 12gb, Windows 7 (64), Focusrite Saffire 6 USB
Hink
Rad Grandad

Postby Hink; Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:31 pm

morelia wrote:
Hink wrote:
morelia wrote:
Uncle E wrote:

I've spent too much time playing and not enough tinkering. Having said that I need every minute of play time just to maintain my current low standard of playing.

I wish I had more of an idea with guitar surgery but with this one I'm not so scared to mess up a little.

We can talk you through it :)
Hink
Rad Grandad

Postby Hink; Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:15 pm

posted by IK on FB

:roll: :hihi:
Hink
Rad Grandad

Postby Hink; Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:44 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ibanez-RGT-42-S ... 460be3d6c2

what's wrong with it? Neck-thru, 299, no bids :shrug:
hibidy
KVRAF

41955 posts since 20 Dec, 2005

Postby hibidy; Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:36 pm

Hink wrote:posted by IK on FB

:lol: Awesome dude!
morelia
KVRAF

Postby morelia; Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:41 pm

Hink wrote:
morelia wrote:
Hink wrote:
morelia wrote:
Uncle E wrote:

We can talk you through it :)
I'll be back :wink:
SyntheticAurality
KVRAF

Postby SyntheticAurality; Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:40 am

Uncle E wrote:
woolyloach wrote:I'll have to have a longer convo with the tech at GC - today I got a nice estimate for a straight swap, very affordable! :-o Not sure I WANT all that switching, I just want to find a use for the P-Rails and replacing the 'bucker in my Strat is perfect.

Maybe it'll work out well. My first thought was that the P-Rail is already a dark sounding humbucker so putting it with the 250K pots would be horrible. However, I can also imagine that a dark bridge humbucker might balance nicely with the strat middle and neck pickups, allowing you to set your amp bright and have it sound good with any pickup setting.

I figure it's worth a shot. I tend more to heavy blues/jazz-rock at this stage in my life, dark would DEFINITELY be the tone for me!

I'd rather find a use for the thing than sell it, my JB Jr. and Pearly Gates have found a good home, so I'm happy-ish. :)

Gotta save for the Nashville Tele now. I like the sound of the pickups in it, 2 Tex-Mex Tele pickups and a Tex-Mex Strat pickup in the middle. Schweet/! 8)
SyntheticAurality
KVRAF

Postby SyntheticAurality; Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:42 am

Hink wrote:posted by IK on FB

The first bass with built-in hyper-drive!!! :-o :-o
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hardware (Instruments and Effects)