Zoom H2 vs Zoom H4N (Or something else?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

Have anybody heard both of them? I don't need the phantom power and amp-models, so sound quality of the internal microphones is the highest priority. If they are very close to the same, I don't want to pay the almost double price(+ the H2 is smaller and more portable) :)

Are there any other devices worth looking at in the same price range?

Thanks!

fjolle wrote:Hi,

Have anybody heard both of them? I don't need the phantom power and amp-models, so sound quality of the internal microphones is the highest priority. If they are very close to the same, I don't want to pay the almost double price(+ the H2 is smaller and more portable) :)

Are there any other devices worth looking at in the same price range?

Thanks!
i have an h2. very nice sound quality. i take it everywhere i go. (composing 'the great subway symphony' or 'the commuter's requiem')

from what i'm reading, the h4n is even better. (don't bother with the h4.)

lots of stuff in the $199-400US:

http://www.zzounds.com/prodsearch?q=&ca ... orm=search
overthrow KRAPITALISM ! you have nothing to lose but your claims.

i love my h2, besides sdcards bein so cool and easy to work with the thing has taken about a dozen falls, one over 10 feet onto hard tile.

i use it to record my live shows with various bands, set to record stereo 192 mp3s i just set it somewhere at the beginning of the gig and let it run for 4 hours or more. ive recorded a couple hundred shows now and it sounds the same as the first recordings.

pro H2:
- zoom people really did their homework, as it did not mess up even a single recording for trivial errors (batteries dead, out of memory on the card)
- amazingly robust (survived a fall set on a tripod being blown away by the drag of a passing train)
- the price tag
- the compactness

pro H4:
- better control over the recording level
- * goodies like limiter actually may be effective to really save a recording
- * no issues with 24bit/96kHz 'heartbeat' induced by power supply
- (phantom power)

* = those are assumptions, did not get to play with an actual H4n yet.

I think i'll be going with a H2, thanks for your comments :)

I've been listening to demo recordings from a few different handheld recorders, and the H2 was defiently up in the class with the more expensive recorders despite of its price. I've been told by H4n owners that the quality of recording with built in mics is about the same, and i won't be using external mic's with it (If i'm using my studio mic i'm in the studio anyway hehe).

Besides i like the compactness of the H2!

fjolle wrote:I think i'll be going with a H2, thanks for your comments :)

I've been listening to demo recordings from a few different handheld recorders, and the H2 was defiently up in the class with the more expensive recorders despite of its price. I've been told by H4n owners that the quality of recording with built in mics is about the same, and i won't be using external mic's with it (If i'm using my studio mic i'm in the studio anyway hehe).

It's a good choice Fjolle. You won't regret it. All my free CC samples are recorded with Zoom H2. The Ocean Waves Crushing has been the 7th most downloaded sound on the Freesound Project for quite some time now and it's done with H2 as well. :)
Luftrum
Sound Designer
Lunaris 2 - the premier pads instrument for NI Kontakt Player - pads and pads only...

can't beat the price on the H2, i'm one of the "no complaints" crowd...but i'd like to get the H4n based on my experience with the H2, seems Zoom listened and addressed user suggestions, and i think i'd use all the extra stuff (phantom power/guit FX, etc)

Luftrum wrote:
fjolle wrote:I think i'll be going with a H2, thanks for your comments :)

It's a good choice Fjolle. You won't regret it. All my free CC samples are recorded with Zoom H2. The Ocean Waves Crushing has been the 7th most downloaded sound on the Freesound Project for quite some time now and it's done with H2 as well. :)
Nice, great with some audio samples :)
can't beat the price on the H2, i'm one of the "no complaints" crowd...but i'd like to get the H4n based on my experience with the H2, seems Zoom listened and addressed user suggestions, and i think i'd use all the extra stuff (phantom power/guit FX, etc)
ok :)
Guitar fx and phantom i can live without, the only thing i'm thinking a bit about is that its more of a rubber housing which might make less noise, but if nobody have trouble with the H2 on that point i'm not concerned. Some recorders have a problem with it, though

when i use the H2 hand-held, i sometimes use the mic adapter as a handle, helps a little with handling noise...the thing is i find i'm not carrying the H2 around all the time like i thought i would (perfect size for that), and for sampling i would use my Sony clip mic if i had an XLR/phantom power...

The H2 will do quasi-surround recording too which, when run through third-party software, will result in 5.1 surround files (6 files from the original 4).

KEv

The H2 is amazing, especially for the price. I use it to record jams and recently used it as an ambiemt mic for a singer/songwriter demo, and it kicked as all around. Unless you really need the extra features of the big brother, save your pennies and enjoy this gem!

fjolle wrote:the only thing i'm thinking a bit about is that its more of a rubber housing which might make less noise
I found the handling noise was much improved with one of these fitted:

(Silicon sleeve, round about $15 from various places)
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I have an H2 and an H4.

For me, I want to just click & record as needed.

The H4 is way more complex, so I think I will be keeping the H2 instead, it is quite fantastic!

whyterabbyt wrote:(Silicon sleeve, round about $15 from various places)
While likely being effective against handling noise, i found those to create new issues:
- the battery compartment is no longer accessible
- the wind shield can not be taken on/off as easily as before

Other ways around the handling problem:
- a tripod
- gloves (even thin ones will do)

noizetronic wrote:
While likely being effective against handling noise, i found those to create new issues:
- the battery compartment is no longer accessible
- the wind shield can not be taken on/off as easily as before
On mine, the battery compartment is only covered by a couple of thin strips, one in the middle, one near the bottom, and the 'thumb notch' isnt covered, so removing the batteries is still perfectly possible. The wind shield isnt that great, anyway, IMO, but it goes on and off perfectly easily :shrug:
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”