What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

A new controller kb...

Anything about hardware musical instruments.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

The_Hidden_Goose
KVRian

780 posts since 8 Dec, 2003, from Birmingham-ish, UK (Tamworth, but shhh!)

Postby The_Hidden_Goose; Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:24 am A new controller kb...

Looking to get a new controller kb.

I currently use a little M-Audio Axiom 25 key thing, which has served me really well, but I'm needing more keys available again now that my ability has crept up a notch - wanna be able to do keyswitching/articulation etc, and I need more than 25 keys to do that comfortably.

61 key type thingy should do...Semi-weighted keys are necessary now I'm used to them...Aftertouch not 100% necessary, but would be nice. Don't really need too much in the way of knobs/sliders/drumpads or other ancilliary controllers, as I've got that covered with a couple of korg nano thingies, but won't pooh-pooh something that has them if it seems good value etc....(I don't use the ones on my Axiom, as they are continous rotary things with that orrid clicking which does my swede in)

Anyone got any recommendations before I start trawling through specs and user reviews/horror stories and such?
If it takes a week each day to walk a fortnight, the number of apples in a bunch of grapes is a banana the size of green.
D.H. Miltz
D.H. MOD

8452 posts since 20 Jun, 2008

Postby D.H. Miltz; Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:38 am Re: A new controller kb...

Moved from Mobile whatnot to Hardware. If I've misunderstood something and should move it back, let me know.
The_Hidden_Goose
KVRian

Postby The_Hidden_Goose; Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:45 am Re: A new controller kb...

No you're right, my mistake - saw Hardware at the end of the title and then my brain must've switched off!
If it takes a week each day to walk a fortnight, the number of apples in a bunch of grapes is a banana the size of green.
BBFG#
KVRAF

3795 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Postby BBFG#; Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:01 am Re: A new controller kb...

Alesis VI61
The_Hidden_Goose
KVRian

Postby The_Hidden_Goose; Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:18 am Re: A new controller kb...

Cheers for the suggestion. The one down from it (V61, which I found looking for the VI61) is probably more what I'm after...less extras, and costs less for it. :)
BBFG#
KVRAF

Postby BBFG#; Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:31 am Re: A new controller kb...

The_Hidden_Goose wrote:Cheers for the suggestion. The one down from it (V61, which I found looking for the VI61) is probably more what I'm after...less extras, and costs less for it. :)

I did think of that also after I posted.
I did play them at the trade show and think they have a great feel to them in any event.
They told me they may even have an 88 note version on the horizon too.

But I'm definitely in the market for these to replace my E-Mus (which honestly still work great).
The_Hidden_Goose
KVRian

Postby The_Hidden_Goose; Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:33 am Re: A new controller kb...

They're on pre-order at the place I tend to get stuff. Might keep looking, as I'm not sure I'm patient enough to wait til the end of August with this bonus money burning a hole in my pocket!
BBFG#
KVRAF

Postby BBFG#; Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:38 am Re: A new controller kb...

The_Hidden_Goose wrote:They're on pre-order at the place I tend to get stuff. Might keep looking, as I'm not sure I'm patient enough to wait til the end of August with this bonus money burning a hole in my pocket!

I tried as many controllers as I could find at NAMM. The Alesis is worth the wait in comparison to others. I have to give a :tu: to Akai also in good improvements but I'm wary of them sending out old runs first before the new ones actually hit.
The_Hidden_Goose
KVRian

Postby The_Hidden_Goose; Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:53 am Re: A new controller kb...

Yeah I might hold on to try and have a play.

I know someone who works as a piano salesman in a music shop, so might see if his place has got some controllers in that I could play with.

I'm wondering if the Axiom 61 is a worthy upgrade. Been happy with my Axiom 25...
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF

16543 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny

Postby thecontrolcentre; Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:19 am Re: A new controller kb...

Novation Launchkey 61 looks great value ... I love my ReMote SL but it cost a lot more. Not sure if you get aftertouch ...

http://www.production-room.com/product- ... tAodnwkA4Q
BBFG#
KVRAF

Postby BBFG#; Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:25 pm Re: A new controller kb...

thecontrolcentre wrote:Novation Launchkey 61 looks great value ... I love my ReMote SL but it cost a lot more. Not sure if you get aftertouch ...

http://www.production-room.com/product- ... tAodnwkA4Q

No aftertouch and they feel 'weak' compared to their other boards (SL/Impulse)
Vectorman
KVRian

1028 posts since 6 May, 2005, from Michigan, USA

Postby Vectorman; Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:16 am Re: A new controller kb...

I noticed in the write-ups for the Alesis boards on Sweetwater, the VI61 is described as having "semi-weighted" keys and the V61 text says "synth-action" keys. Might want to check and make sure you are getting the same keybed in both before opting for the more stripped-down model.
The_Hidden_Goose
KVRian

Postby The_Hidden_Goose; Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:28 am Re: A new controller kb...

Well spotted. I preferr semi-weighted as I've gotten used to that.
2 years ago I would've gone the other way, but I'll check them both out if they're available at the shop to play with.

I can't check if they have them while at work, as most music websites are deemed naughty by our web filter (I was surprised that kvr wasn't amongst them!)

I'll head over to PMT (music shop in my local city) at the weekend as my piano-selling friend tells me they have a better selection of controllers for demoing than his place - honesty from a salesman...who'da thunk it? To be fair, he knows I'll most likely be ordering online anyway, so probably no skin off his nose! :)
tylerdurden91
KVRer

18 posts since 14 Jan, 2013

Postby tylerdurden91; Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:32 pm Re: A new controller kb...

BBFG# wrote:I tried as many controllers as I could find at NAMM. The Alesis is worth the wait in comparison to others. I have to give a :tu: to Akai also in good improvements but I'm wary of them sending out old runs first before the new ones actually hit.

It's nice to finally come across a post in a forum with actual hands-on feedback,as it just solidifies my positive opinion on the Vi61!

I did have my heart set on a Nektar Impact LX88...but I was always bothered by the ridiculously low price of one and as I feared,Nektar cut a corner..by leaving out after-touch.
Although I think the Impact series has a much improved color scheme over the Panorama,I still dislike the very unoriginal M-Audio knock-off design.
The final straw against Nektar,was when I was told the release date was between August/September and as September approached,I was then told...that they had no idea when it was to arrive.

This is when I considered even more options and although I had never took any of Alesis's midi controllers seriously in the past...there was something special about the new Vi-series that grabbed my attention.

The layout is original,as is the color scheme and the key-bed seems to be the best feature.Also...the price is realistic(no discernible compromises & yet affordable).

I have a pre-order placed and I was told the arrival date is the 3rd week of this month.
rod_zero
KVRian

694 posts since 28 Jan, 2011, from MEXICO

Postby rod_zero; Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:03 pm Re: A new controller kb...

Roland controllers have very good keys, are not expensive and well built, they have models only with keys..
dedication to flying
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hardware (Instruments and Effects)