Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New What is KVR? Submit News Advertise

Novation Bass Station II

Katelyn
KVRist

218 posts since 22 Nov, 2014, from her desk

Postby Katelyn; Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:45 pm Novation Bass Station II

Didn't find any topic on a search for it.

http://us.novationmusic.com/synths/bass-station-ii#

So I've heard some demos of this and seen it worked some. It seems really nice particularly for the price. I'm seriously consider buying it in the next month or two, seeing that it looks like it's price recently dropped.

Aside from the hands on factor, it's analog and you can run other instruments into it to apply it's effects and filters to it, which I'd be really excited to try out. Pretty much it seems like a perfect starter hardware synth for me but the price as low as it is, is still a lot for someone like me.

So uh, anyone have any opinions or experience with it and would like to share?
werp
KVRAF

1750 posts since 14 Aug, 2012, from Australia

Postby werp; Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:50 pm Re: Novation Bass Station II

Can't go wrong with a bass station two.
Sounds great and has patch memory. Gorgeous feeling keybed too.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.
H-man
KVRian

576 posts since 26 Dec, 2007, from Australia

Postby H-man; Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:03 pm Re: Novation Bass Station II

Really like on that front page how the synth is surrounded by various stomp boxes. The noise-maker is just the beginning of the fun :tu:

EDIT: You might want to find out if you can live with/tolerate the mini-keys of some of the alternatives.
Katelyn
KVRist

Postby Katelyn; Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:44 pm Re: Novation Bass Station II

Ya, basically I want you guys to erase my paranoid fear that there might be a compelling reason *not to* get it, so I can just get it o.o So far everything I've heard about it makes it sound really good for what I want to do, and it's a major step up in quality from the freeware/freebie vst's I currently use for the bass and synth/acidic leads.

H-man wrote:Really like on that front page how the synth is surrounded by various stomp boxes. The noise-maker is just the beginning of the fun :tu:

EDIT: You might want to find out if you can live with/tolerate the mini-keys of some of the alternatives.

I personally do not like the idea of mini-keys, but if it sounded good enough and was cheap enough...
werp
KVRAF

Postby werp; Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:55 pm Re: Novation Bass Station II

The BS II has a great keybed with aftertouch. they are not mini-keys.
The knobs are solid and smooth.. high quality product. I guess the only issue with it is the lack of CV ins and outs.
If Novation released a 49 or 61 key version of this synth I'd be out the door and on the way to buy it in seconds.
Katelyn
KVRist

Postby Katelyn; Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:49 pm Re: Novation Bass Station II

Something I forgot to mention, but the LFO's don't have sine waveforms. That kind of bugs me. I mean, triangles are okay, but it doesn't have that same curved smoothness to the sound as the straight lines of triangles. Otherwise everything about it seems amazing.

werp wrote:The BS II has a great keybed with aftertouch

Ya, the ability to link it to modulate stuff like the cutoff sounds amazing o.o

Really, I would love to play with one a little bit in person before buying it, but I kind of think I already know I'd love it as my first 'real' synth. Living in the middle of nowhere it's very unlikely I'd find the chance to see it in person first, though.

werp wrote:If Novation released a 49 or 61 key version of this synth I'd be out the door and on the way to buy it in seconds.

Ya, I really wish more synths had more keys. Nothing beats 61 keys (other than 88 keys of course)! I'd consider a lot more synths if everyone didn't keep pushing the small keyboards and mini keys so much.
david.beholder
KVRian

1112 posts since 12 Sep, 2007

Postby david.beholder; Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:57 pm Re: Novation Bass Station II

Katelyn wrote:Something I forgot to mention, but the LFO's don't have sine waveforms. That kind of bugs me. I mean, triangles are okay, but it doesn't have that same curved smoothness to the sound as the straight lines of triangles. Otherwise everything about it seems amazing.

What about LFO Slew -- that's exactly a way how to get sine.
Image Murderous duck!
werp
KVRAF

Postby werp; Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:01 pm Re: Novation Bass Station II

david.beholder wrote:
Katelyn wrote:Something I forgot to mention, but the LFO's don't have sine waveforms. That kind of bugs me. I mean, triangles are okay, but it doesn't have that same curved smoothness to the sound as the straight lines of triangles. Otherwise everything about it seems amazing.

yep, it has slew on both LFOs.
(I'm looking at mine)
ObsoleteAcc99
Banned

Postby ObsoleteAcc99; Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:03 pm Re: Novation Bass Station II

i am loving the BS2 from what I have heard.

I used to have a version 1 in 98 and i used to write all my own arpeggios with it and do manual filter sweeps as we recorded to logic's audio track. How times have changed!

Eventually this is on the list. The new one seems to be much much more than just a 303 attempt like the first model.

Would be curious to know how well it integrates over USB.. I am assuming it uses digitally controlled analog oscillators (DCO) -or is it the real deal vco? (i prefer the luxury integration offered by dco tbh) - is the filter totally analog or can it be controlled via midi CC?
werp
KVRAF

Postby werp; Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:10 pm Re: Novation Bass Station II

deastman
KVRAF

6008 posts since 6 Aug, 2003, from San Francisco Bay Area

Postby deastman; Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:23 pm Re: Novation Bass Station II

I've had the original BS Rack since it first came out. Never loved the sound. I was really hopeful that the new one would be a completely different beast, and for sure, it is much more full-featured. But the sound? Nope, still hate it.
Incomplete list of my gear: 110V AC to 12V DC 1.5A power supply (+ tip)
Katelyn
KVRist

Postby Katelyn; Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:30 pm Re: Novation Bass Station II

werp wrote:
david.beholder wrote:

yep, it has slew on both LFOs.
(I'm looking at mine)

My bad. I've never really touched slew with my tracks so that didn't occur to me. So that's mostly ignorance on my part of a feature that isn't in most of my vsts >.> (entirely freeware at this point)

Found this video where a guy shows all the functions of the Bass Station II, linked to the specific time he uses slew to make a sine wave:

https://youtu.be/rrn1T9tpljo?t=1h3m45s
zerocrossing
KVRAF

8687 posts since 26 Jun, 2006, from San Francisco Bay Area

Postby zerocrossing; Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:20 pm Re: Novation Bass Station II

The Bass Station 2 is a no brainer. You know what sounds great going into it's input? ITSELF. Run the headphone out into the input and crank it (make sure you raise the input gain using the alt-key press). Add a touch of filter osc modulation and the result is pure evil. I mean Vader evil, not Donald Trump evil. :clown:

Anyway, I used to recommend the MoPho, but to be honest the Bass Station 2 is really an overall better synth in every way except for the MoPho's mod sequencer. I just went though a period of G.E.S. (Gear Elimination Syndrome) and the Bass Station 2 is one of the few hardware synths that remain.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~
eXode
KVRian

721 posts since 2 Jun, 2004, from Tellus

Postby eXode; Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:12 am Re: Novation Bass Station II

I'd say that the Bass Station II, followed closely by the Waldorf Pulse 2 are probably the most "bang for the buck" new hardware analog you can get today.
david.beholder
KVRian

1112 posts since 12 Sep, 2007

Postby david.beholder; Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:00 am Re: Novation Bass Station II

zerocrossing wrote:I just went though a period of G.E.S. (Gear Elimination Syndrome) and the Bass Station 2 is one of the few hardware synths that remain.

Nice you decided to keep it, I remeber there was a time you wanted to get rid of it ;)

I also recommend chorus and delay pedal/proc with it.
Image Murderous duck!
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hardware (Instruments and Effects)