Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New @ What is KVR? Submit News Advertise

Does CME Xkey have latency ?

vignesh.vijay
KVRist

343 posts since 18 Jun, 2013

Postby vignesh.vijay; Fri May 06, 2016 5:31 pm Does CME Xkey have latency ?

Hi ,

I use cubase on my windows laptop . My Laptop is Lenovo z580 . Configuration : i7 processor , 8 GB ram , 1 TB hard drive .
I need to buy a portable midi controller since I travel a lot .

Does CME Xkey have latency ?
Mutant
KVRAF

2872 posts since 9 Oct, 2004, from Poland

Postby Mutant; Sat May 07, 2016 2:28 am Re: Does CME Xkey have latency ?

Every digital hardware has some latency, but i would assume that most MIDI controllers are made with minimized latency as one of main priorities.
Also don't confuse audio latency with MIDI latency, 2 completely different things.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !
vignesh.vijay
KVRist

Postby vignesh.vijay; Sun May 22, 2016 2:37 am Re: Does CME Xkey have latency ?

I heard XKey Pro does not have latency . At least they are marketing it that way .
Can anyone confirm if that is true ?
dumbledog
KVRist

377 posts since 24 Sep, 2014

Postby dumbledog; Sun May 22, 2016 2:19 pm Re: Does CME Xkey have latency ?

I certainly haven't noticed any latency on my XKey 37. What does suck about it though is that the end of the USB cable that connects to the keyboard is too small and the slightest touch can disconnect the unit, making the whole thing rather useless. I contacted their support and never had a response. Not the best use of $200!
rod_zero
KVRAF

1637 posts since 28 Jan, 2011, from MEXICO

Postby rod_zero; Sun May 22, 2016 3:23 pm Re: Does CME Xkey have latency ?

Latency depends on your System (cpu, audio interface), not on the midi controller.
dedication to flying
bungle
KVRian

825 posts since 12 Mar, 2004

Postby bungle; Sun May 22, 2016 10:47 pm Re: Does CME Xkey have latency ?

rod_zero wrote:Latency depends on your System (cpu, audio interface), not on the midi controller.

Utter tosh, MIDI by its very design has a 1ms latency on every note triggered, it is defined in the MIDI standard itself as a way to not overflow the serial interface.
If your plugin is a C++ creation, please don't say so.
If it is, pop round Marcos, he has just bought you a Mac to port it.
vignesh.vijay
KVRist

Postby vignesh.vijay; Sun May 22, 2016 10:58 pm Re: Does CME Xkey have latency ?

dumbledog wrote:I certainly haven't noticed any latency on my XKey 37. What does suck about it though is that the end of the USB cable that connects to the keyboard is too small and the slightest touch can disconnect the unit, making the whole thing rather useless. I contacted their support and never had a response. Not the best use of $200!

There is no way to get a lengthier wire ?
werp
KVRAF

1703 posts since 14 Aug, 2012, from Australia

Postby werp; Sun May 22, 2016 11:10 pm Re: Does CME Xkey have latency ?

dumbledog wrote:I certainly haven't noticed any latency on my XKey 37. What does suck about it though is that the end of the USB cable that connects to the keyboard is too small and the slightest touch can disconnect the unit, making the whole thing rather useless. I contacted their support and never had a response. Not the best use of $200!

Mine is fine. Sorry you scored a dodgy unit :-(
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.
kelvyn
KVRian

916 posts since 9 Mar, 2008, from netherlands

Postby kelvyn; Sun May 22, 2016 11:53 pm Re: Does CME Xkey have latency ?

Can't say I've noticed any latency... in fact mines been a godsend as I travel quite a bit.
Also no problems with the cable.
I would definitely recommend it for it's compact size and sturdy build. The keys are a little noisy and the fact that there's no real keyboard springiness takes a little getting used to. But all in all, yeah, go for it!
George
KVRAF

2938 posts since 17 Jul, 2002

Postby George; Mon May 23, 2016 12:06 am Re: Does CME Xkey have latency ?

No latency here. I'm using a XKey 25 and temped to get the Air model :)
discoDSP Plug-Ins | Synths | Sampler | FX
Stupid American Pig
KVRAF

6758 posts since 25 Nov, 2002, from the cone of uncertainty....

Postby Stupid American Pig; Mon May 23, 2016 9:18 am Re: Does CME Xkey have latency ?

All keyboard based controllers have "latency" but the way this question is being asked sounds like its being conflated with end-to-end latency from key press to sound out. Im not sure you could find a midi keyboard and/or synthesizer with appreciable latency that would affect your playing. The rest of your signal chain is what will make the difference. The audio interface would typically need to be sub 7-8 ms to match most hardware equipment. Whether or not your particular setup can do that depends on your entire midi in to audio out signal chain.
dumbledog
KVRist

377 posts since 24 Sep, 2014

Postby dumbledog; Mon May 23, 2016 9:37 am Re: Does CME Xkey have latency ?

vignesh.vijay wrote:

There is no way to get a lengthier wire ?

It's not the length (it's plenty long) but the connector. There's not a lot of clearance between the connector slot and the top of the keyboard too, so my cheapo Amazon Micro USB cables won't fit.

I kinda wonder if there's a metal clip in the port that came off or was never there or something.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hardware (Instruments and Effects)