Login / Register  0 items | $0.00New @ What is KVR? Submit News Advertise

Alpha Juno PG-300 clone++

Anything about hardware musical instruments.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

dmorr
KVRist

86 posts since 13 Jul, 2006

Postby dmorr; Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:15 pm Alpha Juno PG-300 clone++

Hey everyone!!

Just finished this project with a friend of mine finally. I got an MKS-50 last year and wanted to get a PG-300 controller for it, but ended up making my own with a friend. We added a bunch of extra functionality to it, like on board CC to SysEx conversion, on board chord memory (separate from the Alpha Juno/MKS-50 one), and then this special mode where you can hook the controller and synth up in a loop with your DAW to record and playback knob movements in real-time, and more...

We made a small batch to sell and a website for it. If enough people are interested we'll make a second batch soon. Any thoughts or feedback on the controller are welcome. :tu: :)

http://www.midiclub.net is our website.

barryfell
KVRist

271 posts since 17 Jun, 2010

Postby barryfell; Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:35 am Re: Alpha Juno PG-300 clone++

Nice work! :)
Mushy Mushy
KVRAF

7323 posts since 6 Sep, 2008

Postby Mushy Mushy; Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:42 am Re: Alpha Juno PG-300 clone++

This is spectacular. I suspect you'll sell loads of them.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"
wormfingers
KVRist

37 posts since 4 Jun, 2013

Postby wormfingers; Fri May 01, 2015 4:49 am Re: Alpha Juno PG-300 clone++

Could you post some video/sound examples? I would love to see/hear what this synth is capable of.
risome
KVRAF

1785 posts since 30 Oct, 2006, from Australia, NSW

Postby risome; Fri May 01, 2015 4:57 am Re: Alpha Juno PG-300 clone++

wormfingers look up the MKS-50. This is the controller for it not an actual synth itself :-)
www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for ACE,PREDATOR,SYNPLANT,SUB BOOM BASS,PUNCH
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and Ableton LIVE Packs
http://syikom.wordpress.com/ my blog
Daags
KVRist

323 posts since 19 Dec, 2014

Postby Daags; Fri May 01, 2015 5:19 am Re: Alpha Juno PG-300 clone++

pretty sweet ... would like to hear more detail on how your chord memory works ... how many slots etc (i.e different chords)
wormfingers
KVRist

37 posts since 4 Jun, 2013

Postby wormfingers; Fri May 01, 2015 10:53 am Re: Alpha Juno PG-300 clone++

risome wrote:wormfingers look up the MKS-50. This is the controller for it not an actual synth itself :-)

Thanks!
dmorr
KVRist

Postby dmorr; Fri May 01, 2015 12:51 pm Re: Alpha Juno PG-300 clone++

pretty sweet ... would like to hear more detail on how your chord memory works ... how many slots etc (i.e different chords)

The controller only saves one chord. If you want to have a bank of chords to make and select from you can use the MKS-50's chord memory function on the synth itself. Unfortunately the chord memory on the MKS-50 was not accessible via SysEx, so we decided to make an on board chord memory just because it makes it faster to input chords and turn them on and off. Using the MKS-50's chord memory involves menu-diving.

Although you can only have 1 chord on our controller saved at a time, the advantage is that it's extremely fast to assign a new chord to it and turn it on and off. The chord memory also has 2 "modes" Mono-chord and Poly-chord. Poly-chord mode works just like the Alpha Juno/MKS chord memory, where as Mono-chord mode only plays one chord at a time, which allows you to bash out nice long major/minor 7th chords progressions without having to let go of the previous chord. Since the Alpha Juno is such a great techno/rave/house synthesizer this mode is really useful.

We are making videos next week demonstrating awesome sounds the Alpha Juno/MKS-50 make as well as an overview of all the features our controller offers. :wink:
Daags
KVRist

Postby Daags; Fri May 01, 2015 1:01 pm Re: Alpha Juno PG-300 clone++

dmorr wrote:

The controller only saves one chord. If you want to have a bank of chords to make and select from you can use the MKS-50's chord memory function on the synth itself.

which is great if you use an mks-50 ... I use an alpha juno 2 ... ; ) ... so programmable chord memories would be great. if you do a second version/batch... please consider adding this, since you're already halfway there...

dmorr wrote: Unfortunately the chord memory on the MKS-50 was not accessible via SysEx, so we decided to make an on board chord memory just because it makes it faster to input chords and turn them on and off. Using the MKS-50's chord memory involves menu-diving.

Although you can only have 1 chord on our controller saved at a time, the advantage is that it's extremely fast to assign a new chord to it and turn it on and off. The chord memory also has 2 "modes" Mono-chord and Poly-chord. Poly-chord mode works just like the Alpha Juno/MKS chord memory, where as Mono-chord mode only plays one chord at a time, which allows you to bash out nice long major/minor 7th chords progressions without having to let go of the previous chord. Since the Alpha Juno is such a great techno/rave/house synthesizer this mode is really useful.

We are making videos next week demonstrating awesome sounds the Alpha Juno/MKS-50 make as well as an overview of all the features our controller offers. :wink:

sounds great ; ) ...even with just one chord .... I'll keep my eye on it.
Great project, I hope it works out. I'm sure you'll sell batches and batches.
faun2500
KVRian

1335 posts since 27 Nov, 2008, from uk

Postby faun2500; Fri May 01, 2015 2:08 pm Re: Alpha Juno PG-300 clone++

Need some audio/video demos with good sound.
Up to 70% off Sample Packs & Presets until May! https://www.biomedigital.com
Future House Sound Pack For Analog Rytm - https://www.biomedigital.com/downloads/future-house-analog-rytm-sound-pack
dmorr
KVRist

Postby dmorr; Fri May 01, 2015 11:24 pm Re: Alpha Juno PG-300 clone++

Daags said:
which is great if you use an mks-50 ... I use an alpha juno 2 ... ; ) ... so programmable chord memories would be great. if you do a second version/batch... please consider adding this, since you're already halfway there...

Good point! It's only the MKS-50 that has a bank of chords that you can assign to individual patches, the Alpha Juno 1 and 2 do not share this function even though it's the same synthesizer engine.

However I am curious though why you would want a bank of chords to select from, because without this feature of being able to assign different chords to individual patches, which only the MKS-50 has, it seems like having a bank of chords to choose from for the AJ1 or AJ2 wouldn't be any faster than just inputting the new chord via our chord memory. As the controller works now if you want to change the current chord you would press the CHORD + ASSIGN buttons and then play the new chord. Where as say if I implemented a chord bank with like 8 programmable chords: If you wanted to change the current chord you would press the CHORD + ASSIGN buttons and then wiggle a knob (let's say I make the envelope knobs the chord selectors while in CHORD ASSIGN mode). So I don't think one way or the other is faster. Is there a reason you would prefer having a programmable bank? I could definitely program it into even the current batch of controllers if people think it would be useful. Let me know.

p.s. thanks for the feedback and input everyone :tu:
mztk
KVRAF

2495 posts since 12 Jun, 2004

Postby mztk; Sat May 02, 2015 2:35 am Re: Alpha Juno PG-300 clone++

looks amazing. hehe would be nice in a 2u rack housing :)

re: power
just as a side-note, i seem to remember that the PG-300 can be inserted before (AlphaJ-1, it was),
and can get it power from ? MIDI ? i'm pretty sure i was able to use it without a psu, and going
midi>in pg300 out>alpha J-1 so that the pg300 midimerged with incoming k/board or
sequencer data. can anyone confirm?
(see it does the merge with through data.)
mztk
KVRAF

2495 posts since 12 Jun, 2004

Postby mztk; Sat May 02, 2015 2:53 am Re: Alpha Juno PG-300 clone++

re: chords. the chord memory is one of the unique points with the alphas,
and you'd get the mks to have the memories - but even then you're loathe
to edit your favourites unless you're prepared to do sysex dumps etc.
having an extra banks of chord memories would be great.(the alphas send
their chords out via midi to other gear)

Bomer's mouse keyboard is great, you can export an ini file chords, and reimport
them and combine into long lists of chords.(got about 80 on current list..)
you'd use up 8 pretty quickly. how much memory does chord data need?not much.
you could store all main chords, then have a user chord area for inversions etc.

maybe it's a separate device. one that nobody has made yet. another unique selling
point for your product(nice price).
dmorr
KVRist

Postby dmorr; Sat May 02, 2015 8:23 pm Re: Alpha Juno PG-300 clone++

@mtzk:

re:re: power
So our unit merges MIDI input automatically, it has a virtual MIDI through. You do not need a midi merger. Just plug your keyboard or sequencer into the IN of the JunoCTRL and plug the OUT into the Alpha Juno/MKS.

Also, the original PG-300 was not powered by MIDI. You had to plug it in to the included AC adapter. It was the Roland JX-3P (PG-200) and JX-8P (PG-800) that were powered by MIDI. Our JunoCTRL controller includes a power supply.

re:re: chords

Yea it would be rad to have an advanced chord memory function in our controller. But yea I think if people really want that they could use BOMES new hardware device or another device.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate all the input you guys are giving. :)
Daags
KVRist

Postby Daags; Sun May 03, 2015 2:49 am Re: Alpha Juno PG-300 clone++

dmorr wrote:re:re: chords

Yea it would be rad to have an advanced chord memory function in our controller. But yea I think if people really want that they could use BOMES new hardware device or another device.

advanced ? .... advanced is one thing. that's mtzk talking, not me.

as an alpha juno owner (a part of your target market) i'd be more than happy with 16-ish programmable chord banks ala mks-50. nothing so advanced about that I would have thought ? please consider adding it in a later batch or revision.... you're already there, it's simply a matter of adding the memory - no ?
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hardware (Instruments and Effects)