Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New @ What is KVR? Submit News Advertise
susiwong
KVRAF

3924 posts since 29 Feb, 2004

Postby susiwong; Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:23 am Roland memory card replacement (M256, M512) ?

Hi folks,
a friend of mine needs some Roland memory cards (M256, M512), unfortunately they're out of print. :(
Any current, readily available cards that will work ?

The originals on eBay are going for insane prices and then you get cards of dubious age (they're battery powered, and the battery isn't trivial to replace afaik).
Thanks for any help,
susiwong
Mr Arkadin
KVRian

1383 posts since 11 Mar, 2003

Postby Mr Arkadin; Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:28 pm

There used to be some compatibles, can't remember who made them, but they're probably as rare as the real deal anyway. The battery is very easy to replace, just a watch battery that slides out of a special holder.
susiwong
KVRAF

Postby susiwong; Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:50 pm

Mr Arkadin wrote:There used to be some compatibles, can't remember who made them, but they're probably as rare as the real deal anyway. The battery is very easy to replace, just a watch battery that slides out of a special holder.

Thanks for your reply !
Do you know by chance if the data is at risk when changing the battery ?
Cheers,
susiwong
Mr Arkadin
KVRian

Postby Mr Arkadin; Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:14 pm

susiwong wrote:
Mr Arkadin wrote:There used to be some compatibles, can't remember who made them, but they're probably as rare as the real deal anyway. The battery is very easy to replace, just a watch battery that slides out of a special holder.

Thanks for your reply !
Do you know by chance if the data is at risk when changing the battery ?
Cheers,
susiwong

The safest way to secure data is to have the card inserted into the synth (with the synth power on of course). You can then change the battery without losing data (this is true for my JD synth anyway).
susiwong
KVRAF

Postby susiwong; Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:40 pm

Mr Arkadin,
thanks again, this sounds like a good workaround !
I'll pass this on to my colleague.
This might solve his dilemma, he wanted to buy cards to backup the data during battery replacement afaik.
Cheers,
susiwong
Mr Arkadin
KVRian

Postby Mr Arkadin; Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:54 pm

susiwong wrote:Mr Arkadin,
thanks again, this sounds like a good workaround !
I'll pass this on to my colleague.
This might solve his dilemma, he wanted to buy cards to backup the data during battery replacement afaik.
Cheers,
susiwong

i always do a Sysex MIDI dump first - just in case something goes wrong. i have some problems recently with some old JD cards that won't read. i think they just need reformatting and should work again. i hope i have the sysex somewhere.
susiwong
KVRAF

Postby susiwong; Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:07 pm

Mr Arkadin wrote:i always do a Sysex MIDI dump first - just in case something goes wrong. i have some problems recently with some old JD cards that won't read. i think they just need reformatting and should work again. i hope i have the sysex somewhere.
Afaik the R-880, which is the main target of the operation (together with an MKS x0), doesn't support sysex, this was the first thing I suggested. :shrug:
The joys of vintage hardware ...
Thanks again,
susiwong
Mr Arkadin
KVRian

Postby Mr Arkadin; Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:49 pm

Well get your mate to check page 131 Appendix E of the R-880 manual - there seems to be some stuff about system exclusive there. i don't think any of the MKS series take M256/512, they use those funny M64 catridges (even rarer), although depending on which it is, again it should have sysex.
Last edited by Mr Arkadin on Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
susiwong
KVRAF

Postby susiwong; Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:45 pm

Mr Arkadin wrote:Well get your mate to check page 131 Appendix E of the R-880 manual - there seems to be some stuff about system exclusive there. i don't think an of the MKS series take M256/512, they use those funny M64 catridges (even rarer), although depending on which it is, again it should have sysex.
Mr Arkadin,
guess I have to talk to my mate in a more serious tone ! :x :wink:
If the R-880 understands sysex he's set, and I really asked him exactly that.
Don't know which MKS it is, not the SuperJupiter, but maybe it can do sysex dumps, too ?
Drummers ... :roll: :help:
(at least some of them ... :wink: )
Thanks for all your good tips,
susiwong
diogenes club
KVRer

1 post since 26 Feb, 2014

Postby diogenes club; Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:09 pm Re: Roland memory card replacement (M256, M512) ?

:help: Calling all cars, commercial emergency.....please can anyone suggest an alternative to the hideously priced ROM cards and RAM cards for the D50 synth. They are ascending to stratospheric proportions and will soon cost more than the synthesiser. THERE must be a replacement card or replacement adapter for the D50 type. Electronic geeks out there, can you devise an alternative?? This is a musical emergency, and will benefit loads of beautiful old machines well beyond the Roland D50, as many synths, etc. used this technology. Send your suggestions, the winner(s) will be given plaudits on a special website I will create for their wisdom or ingenuity. :help:
mztk
Banned

Postby mztk; Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:15 am Re: Roland memory card replacement (M256, M512) ?

did something stupid with a clone of a m256 - there two clones
manufactured back un the day, maybe more - that i'd had sitting
doing nothing for so long the battery had gone, and i'd forgotten
how to open it. it ended up splitting and falling apart -dumb!
but i superglued it back together and it works, even if it was
impossible to get the 2 springs back onto their latches(so it
stays open now) - don't do this at home: the battery has a litte
tray that slides out...
ew
KVRAF

9330 posts since 22 Jul, 2002, from Eagan, MN

Postby ew; Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:58 pm Re: Roland memory card replacement (M256, M512) ?

A spectral heretic...
Mr Arkadin
KVRian

Postby Mr Arkadin; Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:30 am Re: Roland memory card replacement (M256, M512) ?

ew wrote:http://www.amtron.com/sram.htm

ew

How about some explanation with that link. Are you saying there's a card there equivalent to the Roland M-series and if so which one and do you know for definite that they're compatible?
fmr
KVRAF

4049 posts since 16 Mar, 2003, from Porto - Portugal

Postby fmr; Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:43 am Re:

Mr Arkadin wrote:Well get your mate to check page 131 Appendix E of the R-880 manual - there seems to be some stuff about system exclusive there. i don't think any of the MKS series take M256/512, they use those funny M64 catridges (even rarer), although depending on which it is, again it should have sysex.

MKS-80 loads and saves through Sys-Ex (although the MIDI implementation is a little akward). MKS-70 also. MKS-50 idem. The Super Quartet Juno-106 part can also be edited and stored thorugh Sys-Ex. The only MKS synth that doesn't load or save Sys-Ex is the MKS-30, but there is a system upgrade EPROM that adds this capability too (third party - not Roland).

But yeah, the MKS-80 and MKS-70 both use the M-64 cartridge (the MKS-30 uses the M-16).
Last edited by fmr on Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)
fmr
KVRAF

4049 posts since 16 Mar, 2003, from Porto - Portugal

Postby fmr; Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:48 am Re: Roland memory card replacement (M256, M512) ?

diogenes club wrote::help: Calling all cars, commercial emergency.....please can anyone suggest an alternative to the hideously priced ROM cards and RAM cards for the D50 synth. They are ascending to stratospheric proportions and will soon cost more than the synthesiser. THERE must be a replacement card or replacement adapter for the D50 type. Electronic geeks out there, can you devise an alternative?? This is a musical emergency, and will benefit loads of beautiful old machines well beyond the Roland D50, as many synths, etc. used this technology. Send your suggestions, the winner(s) will be given plaudits on a special website I will create for their wisdom or ingenuity. :help:

How about use your computer, and load and save thorugh Sys-Ex? There are a couple of applications still available that can save and load entire memory content, and I think you can even start a MIDI Bulk Dump to your DAW and save it as data in a sequence file.

Having a specialized application (like Sound Diver, MIDI Quest or MOTU Unisyn) has the advantage of allowing you to also program new patches remotely. That's what I use since ever.
Fernando (FMR)
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hardware (Instruments and Effects)