What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Midi controller under 250$

Anything about hardware musical instruments.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

mysticvibes
KVRian

1023 posts since 2 Oct, 2008

Postby mysticvibes; Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:38 pm Midi controller under 250$

Looking for a midi controller for under 150$. Would also consider a really simple hardware synth for same price if such a thing exist. Would like something durable and won't break after a few months like my m-audio axiom 49 did. Also must have pitch bend/modwheel and more than 25 keys. Recommendations?
Last edited by mysticvibes on Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 8 times in total.
rod_zero
KVRian

661 posts since 28 Jan, 2011, from MEXICO

Postby rod_zero; Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:56 pm Re: Midi controller under 150$

for 219 you have the roland a300

Samson graphite is alao another good option.
dedication to flying
mysticvibes
KVRian

Postby mysticvibes; Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:01 pm Re: Midi controller under 150$

rod_zero wrote:for 219 you have the roland a300

Samson graphite is alao another good option.

Nice, these look really good, thanks. Maybe Ill go up to around 200 ish.
xoxos
Mr Entertainment

10601 posts since 29 Apr, 2002, from i might peeramid

Postby xoxos; Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:08 pm Re: Midi controller under 150$

don't kid yourself. it's illegal to release durable products nowadays.

i only opened the thread to say i liked my edirol until i took it through an airport. now only one key works.

you could get an old ensoniq mirage, durable steel casing you probably could hammer nails with, nice durable circuitry and keypads you can disassemble, clean and reassemble and make work again.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha xoxos.net free vst. neither a follower nor a leader be
tagore "where roads are made i lose my way"
pdxindy
KVRAF

8718 posts since 2 Feb, 2005, from in the wilds

Postby pdxindy; Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:18 pm Re: Midi controller under 150$

QuNexus
mysticvibes
KVRian

Postby mysticvibes; Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:19 pm Re: Midi controller under 150$

Qunexus looks really interesting!! You can pitch bend on the keys :o Will have to look further into this :D
softska
KVRian

540 posts since 1 Sep, 2008, from US

Postby softska; Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:24 pm Re: Midi controller under 150$

Another vote for QuNexus. It's the only one I carry around now.

Playing actual piano-like things can be tricky on that thing (pads, no typical key travel), but it absolutely the most feature packed thing in the smallest/durable size.
mysticvibes
KVRian

Postby mysticvibes; Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:39 pm Re: Midi controller under 150$

besides pitch bending on the keys is there anything else that stands out like that. That's really innovative.. But I plan on taking some classes soon for keyboard so I'm thinking for now a more traditional approach would probably be best..
V0RT3X
KVRAF

4142 posts since 3 Jul, 2012

Postby V0RT3X; Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:41 pm Re: Midi controller under 150$

I used to own the A-800 Pro and it was one of the nicest i've owned.
Having the best tools and technical knowledge isn't gonna do much for you if you don't understand how to make good music.
bmrzycki
KVRAF

3226 posts since 11 Aug, 2006, from Austin, TX

Postby bmrzycki; Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:40 pm Re: Midi controller under 150$

The Alesis V49 looks decent in this price range (around $130 US street). It's synth action and no aftertouch though. Plus side is pressure-sensitive pads. I'd try one out at a Guitar Center if you can.
t3toooo
KVRian

1492 posts since 24 Dec, 2005

Postby t3toooo; Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:55 pm Re: Midi controller under 150$

xoxos wrote:don't kid yourself. it's illegal to release durable products nowadays.

i only opened the thread to say i liked my edirol until i took it through an airport. now only one key works.

you could get an old ensoniq mirage, durable steel casing you probably could hammer nails with, nice durable circuitry and keypads you can disassemble, clean and reassemble and make work again.

Awww,well that got me to post in here too.

It's about time to see threads coming up regarding quality control of midi controllers.

The greatest flaw is the lack of customizing those controllers (beside the mostly shitty quality),i prefer modules,i like to have my keyboard and knobs separated.

I noticed,you can't find any endless encoder in a portable way anymore.
For me 4 knobs are enough because i think customizing controllers in a DAW is the preferable the way to go (on the long run) ,sooner or later you want to learn remapping.

Now,Novation discontinued the Novation Nocturn and replaced it with the Launch Control but the Launch Control does not have any endless knobs.
Behringer will come up with the X-Touch Mini though.

Look around,endless knobs are only supported in combination with keyboards or expensive,like the DJ-Tech Midi Fighter Twister.

If you look around at the DJ market you will find much more nice sturdy controllers but those controllers can't be used easily with a DAW.

Most DJ controllers are created with mobility in mind but the standard DAW controller is supposed to sit on a desk (or what?).

Now i made an experiment and ordered a (new one) cheap discontinued 2009 DJ-Tech Kontrol One from ebay (after researching for a couple of days again...) and boy this thing is sturdy and quality. :love:

There are no flimsy knobs and buttons or wobbly plastic parts,this thing is made from metal.

The transmitted controller datas are accurate just like it must be.

So i thought i wont give it away anyway and bit the bullet and purchased Bome's Midi Translator Pro (a nice peace of software) and re-mapped the controller datas (including the feedback light) from the Kontrol One to Midi using the Translator rules.
The Jog wheel feels also nice for controlling filter movements. :)

Now that i was on this point i found another neat software,a scratching vst plugin which needs a bit of more development regarding Graphic Cards support but overall it is a very nice plugin. :)
(Edit: The bug is fixed!! :)

http://www.stagecraftsoftware.com/produ ... atchtrack/

I recorded this (live) yesterday as a first attempt. :hihi:

https://app.box.com/s/iipwucocksy6wl7dc8n8

For this i used the Kontrol One together with a CME X-Key which i love.

Conclusion.

Is it awkward to go that route, is it a pain in the a...?
Yes absolutely! :hihi:

Is it worth the effort? :D
Last edited by t3toooo on Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
V0RT3X
KVRAF

Postby V0RT3X; Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:01 pm Re: Midi controller under 150$

Another one to check out is the Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard. It's got a very tough feel to it, and it's built to last.
Having the best tools and technical knowledge isn't gonna do much for you if you don't understand how to make good music.
mysticvibes
KVRian

Postby mysticvibes; Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:17 pm Re: Midi controller under 250$

You mean this waldorf? http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ ... Avfp8P8HAQ

Edit* Upped my budget to 250$ Are there any hardsynths I can get for around this much, maybe used?
V0RT3X
KVRAF

Postby V0RT3X; Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:31 pm Re: Midi controller under 250$

mysticvibes wrote:You mean this waldorf? http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ ... Avfp8P8HAQ

Edit* Upped my budget to 250$ Are there any hardsynths I can get for around this much, maybe used?

Sorry forgot your budget was $250.00

If you are willing to spend $90 more you can usually find deals on the Roland A-800 Pro which is a stellar keyboard! I absolutely loved mine before i stupidly sold it.
mysticvibes
KVRian

Postby mysticvibes; Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:04 pm Re: Midi controller under 250$

Is that only a modulation wheel on that roland?
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hardware (Instruments and Effects)