What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Midi Keyboard and General Hardware Advice

Anything about hardware musical instruments.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

AB69
KVRer

5 posts since 12 Sep, 2014

Postby AB69; Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:29 pm Midi Keyboard and General Hardware Advice

Interested in a 25 key keyboard. Am pretty set on a 25 due to portability and I have no musical background or piano playing experience so I think I can learn a lot and and make the most out of a 25.

Plan on making 140 style trance, psy trance, techno, and progressive

Want to use the keyboard to plan out musical elements, playing, experimenting, and setting certain parameters to knobs/pads from software synths. I think it will feel a lot better than the piano roll.

So for trance, is synth style keys or semi weighted better? I am leaning heavily towards semi weighted.

I have narrowed down my top 3options to:

M Audio Axiom 25
Korg Taktile 25
Alesis VI25

Other possibilities:
NI S25
Novaton SL MK 25

Also do is aftertouch recommended especially for trance production? Or would I benefit more from more faders, buttons?

Also for studio monitors, would it be better to buy a cheaper pair of JBL3s/Rokits/ErisE5 or save up and go for some dynaudio bm5s?
cornutt
KVRist

70 posts since 2 Dec, 2013, from Huntsville, AL USA

Postby cornutt; Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:03 pm Re: Midi Keyboard and General Hardware Advice

For what you're doing, you really don't need semi-weighted keys. That's mostly a thing for piano emulations and people who have been trained on piano. I actually don't like weighted keys; I learned on synth and light, unweighted keys feel better to me.

I personally like aftertouch because it's a parameter that you can control without needing another hand.
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF

16480 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny

Postby thecontrolcentre; Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:16 pm Re: Midi Keyboard and General Hardware Advice

Very happy with my ReMote 25SL. More knobs than I need, and aftertouch. Semi-weighted keys feel nice. XY pad is cool. Plus you get automap if you need it (I use the "remote" mapping in Live). The drum pads aren't the best, but I tend to use the keys anyway ...
AB69
KVRer

Postby AB69; Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:31 pm Re: Midi Keyboard and General Hardware Advice

cornutt wrote:For what you're doing, you really don't need semi-weighted keys. That's mostly a thing for piano emulations and people who have been trained on piano. I actually don't like weighted keys; I learned on synth and light, unweighted keys feel better to me.

I personally like aftertouch because it's a parameter that you can control without needing another hand.

So for trance is aftertouch ideal? I have no piano playing experience, but from what I have read is semi weighted and aftertouch is always better. Is that the case, especially for trance when there may be perhaps more complicated melodies and chords than simpler grooves in other dance music?

I have again narrowed down my choices

Alesis VI25
Roland Aira System 1
M Audio Axiom 25
NI S25

Alesis VI25 seems to be the best keyboard for me imo, but there doesn't seem to be an exact release date.

The Roland system 1 has caught my interest because it can be used as a future tool for other roland synth hardware and acts as a synth as well as a keyboard. My concerns with the system 1 are the synth action keys with no aftertouch and the increased price.

NIS25 looks sweet but is expensive and apparently only certain arp effects/features are only available in Kontrol.

Axiom 25 looks good too but I have heard mixed things about the quality of M audio products. Alesis VI25 just trumps the axiom 25 in all categories imo.
rod_zero
KVRian

664 posts since 28 Jan, 2011, from MEXICO

Postby rod_zero; Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:05 pm Re: Midi Keyboard and General Hardware Advice

The system one seems nice because it ahs lots of knobs to control virtual synths, but the keys don't transmit velocity or at.

If youa re already in that price range I would pick an ultranova wich would be also usefull for trance.
dedication to flying
AB69
KVRer

Postby AB69; Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:18 pm Re: Midi Keyboard and General Hardware Advice

rod_zero wrote:The system one seems nice because it ahs lots of knobs to control virtual synths, but the keys don't transmit velocity or at.

If youa re already in that price range I would pick an ultranova wich would be also usefull for trance.

I am simply considering the Roland. I think I probably have my hands full with learning softsynths first and mapping with a midi keyboard.

I am still leaning heavily towards the Alesis VI25. I want a simple portal high quality feeling keyboard that I can create chords/melodies with some modulation. Nothing crazy.

My ideal set up down the road would be:
MBP
Apogee AI
Dynaudio BMK5III
25 key midi keyboard
Acoustic treatment
Dj/Studio headphones

Would that set up suffice? I would be mostly working with soft synths. I am assuming I should get the keyboard first before studio monitors since I have dj/studio headphones already.
AB69
KVRer

Postby AB69; Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:21 pm Re: Midi Keyboard and General Hardware Advice

I would rather save on the keyboard for dynaudios instead
rod_zero
KVRian

664 posts since 28 Jan, 2011, from MEXICO

Postby rod_zero; Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:32 am Re: Midi Keyboard and General Hardware Advice

IMHO learning synthesis is more fun with a knoby synth, the system one does that. Just for that I would consider it too.
dedication to flying

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hardware (Instruments and Effects)