Nu Acid Jazz/Funk Critique Appriciated:-)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This track was inspired by Smoker's Relight that I recently purchased-love it.

In case anyone's interested I sampled the bass in Live's Simpler and made up my own bass line. And I used their drums but cut them up with lives Drum Rack.

All instruments (but drums) are triggered with the Roland GR-20 guitar synth as my midi controller played in real time.

I would appreciate some constructive criticism. Are the guitars too biting? This was my first time using Guitar Rig?

Is the track toooooo long?

Did I get carried away with the eccos?

ImageLook Ma! I'm on KVR!!!! Dude! that shirt is like so ugly!

Innocuous:

http://www.opendrive.com/files/6368566_ ... ocuous.mp3

Newer version:

http://www.opendrive.com/files/6375284_ ... %20MP3.mp3

Last edited by any1particular on Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'll get back to you on this Chuck. Most likely tomorrow or something :wink:
It should be good as always :)

I like this track. I think the effects on the guitars may be a bit much in places. If you wanted to make this track have more commercial appeal, you would have to shorten it to about 3 minutes or so. I would have liked to have heard some other instruments take a solo, such as trumpet or sax.

I enjoyed it up until about 3.03, then the piece seemed to have lost its way. But it had a nice retro jazz-funk feel to it that reminded me of the kind of thing Ramsey Lewis did with Earth Wind and Fire.

Ciao!

A good listen. There's a bit of drum and bass here stirred up with some Steps Ahead (mid 80s period) and some unlikely Joe Sample'esque Wurlitzer (done midi-guitar style I guess).
There's a break around the middle with reminiscence of Incognito & 4 Hero but the saw tune style synth there I'd loose. I comes back at the end and doesn't fit the theme imo.
I like the guitar melody but I agree with psenior about you going a bit overboard effect-wise at times. Like Mike Stern has bought one overdrive pedal too many! :lol:

Altogether a typical track for you chuck. A bit of everything thrown in but always nicely executed 8)
Got some new stuff coming up soon myself - a melancholy piece I guess :cry: :hihi:

Hey Chuck another winner here :)

A bit overeffected for my taste (especially some too loud/long reverb on the stabs and guitar blends wich gives a tunnelissh/basement sound)

Maybe a more str8 sound will give it even more PuncHhhh.

And the track is a bit long I agree (at least for me) after 5mn it gave me the impression you were searching for an appropriate outro/end. ( So why not stop it in your face style ? A big Stabs et voilà )

But well at some moments this tracks developp some huge grooves :) And the choruses are brilliant (as always éhéhéhé)

:tu:

L.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Yeah, very cool and solid production and performance too. But I also think it's too long, about 4 minutes should be enough ;)

- Ulli -
Sunburn In Cyprus - Downtempo/Lounge/Pop/Electronic/Dub
Sunburn In Cyprus music site

so grooooooooooovy chuck!! smokey and soulful, with superb playing. I like it a lot. Agree with the others about it being a little too long. Great acid jazz sunshine track though. Good work!!

OK. I posted an updated version-cut down to 4.00+ minutes with much less FX-now the guitar sounds a bit sloppy. The music I write is almost just a vessel for me to play around in Ableton Live and all those groovacious VSTs....

@K-Bee

Yo K-Bee! WasUp doctor?

You (& your ears) are amazing! Your critique is so thoughtful. You're obviously a jazz whore (connaisseur?)-more so than I. You really could be a jazz critic-you know your stuff bigtime! It is very sweet of you!
Yeah-Steps Ahead, Joe Sample (seriously bad), Incognito, 4 Hero-YIKES! That's some serious shit going on there Dude-I'm not worthy! Please PM me when you post your new track.

@psenior

Thank you for taking the time to post psenior. I posted a cut down version per your and the other's suggestions with no ecco on the guitars under the original link above.

@gambaytheunspoken

Thank you for your support and candid critique!

@Lotuzia

Hey Laurent!

I've been seeing your name (Le Lotus Bleu) all over the NET regarding your new release-ACE Steroids Grand Bundle! Congrats!
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2010/04/ ... e-patches/
I haven't picked up u-he yet but when I do I'll check your patches.
Very cool!
Thank you for the thoughtful critique. I did shorten it and took off the eccos. I used Guitar Rig on this-never used it before-it's probably me but the guitar seems to really bite in an offensive way. I think I like Line 6 much better. And I put an ending on it-kinda threw it together. It would be cool if you could put your drums in there-some day? Thanks again.

@sic

Yeah. I shorted it etc etc...thank you so much for your support-means alot to me!

@sazb30

Hey Sara.

I'm flattered that you stopped by to post. I'm listening to your soundclick site now (Eko Centrik)-sweetness! Could there be some Imogen Heap influence in there?

I sooooo appreciate everyone's support!

Thank you!!!!!!!!

The keyboard solo sounds shy compared to the rest of the music that sounds confident.

i really liked this ...

A nice one. You painted a good picture. Good composition

Cheers

halfstep wrote:The keyboard solo sounds shy compared to the rest of the music that sounds confident.
Thank you for pointing that our halfstep. And thanks for taking the time to reply!
normal wrote:i really liked this ...
Very cool of you to take the time to post your support normal-muchos appreciated!!!
Laguna Rising wrote:A nice one. You painted a good picture. Good composition

Cheers
Thank you so much Laguna Rising-your support means allot to me!!!

Peace.

Return to “Music Cafe”