One-Synth-Challenge 16 ... Texture!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Texture

Wheeeee! Off we go on another One-Synth-Challenge :) .... and I have a good feeling about this one! :)

In reward/(punishment) for a miserable showing in OSC13, last placed Abstractcats was charged with the task of choosing the featured synth for this comp. .. And credit where credit is due, he could have been bitter and twisted about the whole situation and inflicted something on us which sucked up our cpu and gave nothing in return, or could have insisted we do a track with 'Hardclave' or 'Onepingonly' with no fx ... but ....

....Absractcats has thought better of it, and has decided we will use UGO's 'Texture' for One-Synth-Challenge 16 .... which I have to say, strikes me as a cool, cool synth ... a bit of an easy option, but then again, after Anubis and StringZ, we are well overdue a break! :phew:

Create a track using only Texture for all the sounds, including percussion!

Download Texture here ....
http://www.ugoaudio.com/

* * * * * * THE RULES ( please read fully) * * * * * *
The track can be made in any host.

All the sounds in our tracks will be created by Texture

* * * FX * * * ( read and weep! )
Texture has a good integral reverb, delay, and good modulation options, and although it might seem mean to disallow an external reverb, I think some balancing up is in order considering the amount of available presets and the quality and scope of the internal fx .. so I'm gonna be a b*st*rd this time round, and rule out delay and reverb! ( altogether now ... 'Boooooo!' ) :evil:

Fx are limited to
Dynamics ( comp, limit, gate ), EQ ( inc. exciters etc ) and Stereo fx ( pan/autopan/width enhancers etc ).... yeah, you'll learn to hate me eventually ... but if in doubt, gimme a shout!

..... Important!......
Other than the hosts native EQ,
All Fx used must .....
**be freeware, and easily available via download.
**generally usable in a wide range of hosts
**not be used in such a way as to transform the sounds to a degree
which makes them unrecognisable as those achievable from Texture.
..... otherwise you will be strung up by the ring modulators and forced to convince David Cameron that he's a cute little bunny who's voice is vastly superior to the best of Kylie, and more manly than Meatloaf!!!!! :hihi:

.... Fx footnote .... it is a generally held view that in the spirit of the comp, although we all like to create and hear well produced tracks, we should use as few Fx as we dare! ... it all adds to the challenge!

*** There is no track length limit.... but be aware of the prevalence of LASD ... ( listener attention span deficit ) :hihi:

* * * * * How to Submit your Track * * * * *

**** Finished tracks, in mp3 format, should be uploaded here ...

http://OneSynthComp.4shared.com/

* Please post in this thread when you upload a track, that way I can prevent
abuse of this public folder. Anything uploaded without an accompanying post
here will be deleted ....( if I can be bothered ... it's like I build a fence with a 'keep out' sign attached, and I know that makes you want to jump over it ... and I say 'OK, you jumped over my fence, despite my advice, what ya gonna do now?' ... and if you do no more, I might do likewise ... but step on my petunias, and you are history!!! :hihi: )

For the sake of clarity, name your track in the following format ...

.... Title of Track - Artist Name ( in that order pleeeze! )

* Before you do that though, create a notepad/text file and describe briefly what you have used ( host, how many instances of Texture, which fx, how many instances.. etc. )
....... keep it short though, that way it can be read in preview mode without the need to be downloaded.

Save the notepad/text file as the title of your track, that way it will sit above or below the track itself when you upload it, and not get mixed up with any others.
( feel free to post or PM me if you have any problems uploading )
**Please do not post seperate, external links to tracks you wish to be included in the comp.

CLOSING DATE for submissions is 27th May 2010

* * * * * How is the comp judged? * * * * *

The comp will be judged by the votes of KVR members. Depending on the number of submitted tracks, the voting may take the shape of a single vote poll, or a more flexible multiple vote option.

* * * * * And the prizes? * * * * *

@@ Rob_lee has again generously donated some patchbanks.

@@ Karmacomposer will once again donate some fantastic prizes ... I'll leave it to karmacomposer to post with details.

@@ Luftrum has again donated Luftrum5 - a ReFill for Reason featuring a standalone soundbank by Ishq. http://www.luftrum.com/

@@ MaxSynths is back in our midst, and has donated a copy of the excellent Cryologic.

@@ Himalaya has donated any/all of his commercial soundbanks http://www.electric-himalaya.com/

@@ Ziokiller has donated the choice of any one of his plugins
http://www.genuinesoundware.com/

..... Big, big thanks once again to all the prize contributors for their superb, continued support! .... take another look! ... isn't that a brilliant collection of prizes??? :-o

... And I await other offers ... which I will update here when I know more

.. ANY OTHER OFFERS OF PRIZES WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
.. PM me, or post in the thread if you wish to support OSC by donating a prize.. ( A great way to 'Plug your plugs' ) .... its never too late to offer a prize for this comp .... there's always a next one!

@@ I will once again rattle something together to add to the growing participants prize bundle.
.......... So, nothing to lose, and plenty of time! :)

**** Good luck with those tracks! ...... and have fun!!! ****----

I wanted to enter the last ones, but my business and health stopped that. I am NOT missing this one. I LOVE Ugo's synths and Texture and Motion are my favorites.

The winner receives Monstrous and SuperCore with all current expansions created by myself. If they already own any of these, they get whatever SuperCore expansions they do not own yet from the Supersynths library.

Mike

Karmacomposer wrote:I wanted to enter the last ones, but my business and health stopped that. I am NOT missing this one. I LOVE Ugo's synths and Texture and Motion are my favorites.

The winner receives Monstrous and SuperCore with all current expansions created by myself. If they already own any of these, they get whatever SuperCore expansions they do not own yet from the Supersynths library.

Mike
It seems the surgeons failed to cut out your generosity 8)
Good vibes, make for quick recoveries :)

Brilliant Mike .. cheers for getting in quick ... saved me mailing you! :)

Sorry to hear you have health probs on top of all the other stuff affecting your business. Does my memory serve me correctly in that you have been getting some hell from carpal tunnel syndrome and other associated RSIs? .. or am I thinking of someone else?

tattiemannie wrote:Brilliant Mike .. cheers for getting in quick ... saved me mailing you! :)

Sorry to hear you have health probs on top of all the other stuff affecting your business. Does my memory serve me correctly in that you have been getting some hell from carpal tunnel syndrome and other associated RSIs? .. or am I thinking of someone else?
No, you have it right. I have carpal tunnel, corpal tunnel and tendonitis in both hands. Fun Fun Fun!!!

The operation was regarding my Diabetes (type 2).

Mike

What if it was MonoOne :P .

Ok, Ok, before any one asks, I am NOT signing autographs, but you may worship me at will....Hey! you guys! put those tomatoes down!!! :-o :-o :hihi: :hihi:

Yeah, UGO rocks indeed!

Ah yes Mike .... I related to that elbow thing! I also have CTS ... fkn horrible ... and I only have it to a 'mild' extent in my left hand.

The frustrating thing is that I've been playing music live for more than 30 years, but only in the last 6 have I been making a living out of it .. and I get fkn CTS!.... right now I have a compression bandage on my wrist .. and some aniflam gel cos I've been playing too much banjo! ( and no thats not a euphemism :hihi: )
.... anyway, the CTS can be managed, but in the same wrist, I have an area of osteoarthritis ... but I just have to keep on rocking despite the fact that to give it up would be beneficial to said wrist!
..... but then do what? The sh*tty thing is that everything I enjoy doing seems to involve aggrevation of the condition!

On a positive note though, that annoying elbow tendon thing!!! ... I noticed it was worst when either I forgot to let my right hand let go of the mouse when it didnt need to be there, and adapted little aspects of my home so I didn't have to reach too far for ( heavy ) things .... gradually clearing up since that little adjustment!

Sorry about the off topic semi-rant .... just want to say Mike, I sympathise in an informed way .... fellow sufferers and all that ... Hope you're managing things well. :)

Geez! Tatrtie, Mike ! my heart goes out to you guys.

For computer lovers the CT thing can be a nightmare, good to hear it has not hampered you pc usage to much.

As for Diabetes type 2, Mike, OOf! thats not good, one of my cousins husband developed type 2 about two years ago and I know how that can impact your life and can be financially crushing. Good thought go out to both of you.

abstractcats wrote:Ok, Ok, before any one asks, I am NOT signing autographs, but you may worship me at will....Hey! you guys! put those tomatoes down!!! :-o :-o :hihi: :hihi:

Yeah, UGO rocks indeed!
Its a great choice, your Highness, but with the price of tomatoes out here, you're pretty safe. :) And the calculating the windage between here and the Cumberland is too
daunting to risk a rock-salt pot shot :hihi:

Thanks Tattie. Exciting synth to play with this, looking forward to it. :)
tattiemannie wrote:and I get fkn CTS!.... right now I have a compression bandage on my wrist .. and some aniflam gel cos I've been playing too much banjo! ( and no thats not a euphemism
Lol.

About CTS and tendonitis in the arms - the curse of the computer age -, I had a mild case of both for quite a while a couple of years ago (not from excessive 'banjo playing'! ;), but is now cured. The fix was traditional exercise and slight diet alteration (tad smaller meals and carbo). After only a few months at the gym, things just faded away. It's an awful chore to start with but quite enjoy it now.

I can't wait to hear what everyone comes up with. :hyper:

glokraw wrote: Its a great choice, your Highness, but with the price of tomatoes out here, you're pretty safe. :) And the calculating the windage between here and the Cumberland is too
daunting to risk a rock-salt pot shot :hihi:
And you could put an eye out with that, then I'd only see one side of daw and never do anything other then a one channel mono production :D

.... Prizes update! .... :wheee:

.... Ugo has donated a choice of any one plugin from his commercial line! ... :) .... Cheers Ugo!! .... Thanks for the support ... hope we do your synth proud! :tu:

Just uploaded my entry, "The Allosaurus Problem"-- 26 seconds of your life forever wasted (but I had fun making it!). It won't solve world hunger, but maybe it won't be the absolute worst entry... or will it?! :wink:
I am the musical equivalent of a brick...

Return to “Instruments”