3am - archetypical (fancy a remix guv'?)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

First off, the title is intentionally misspelled. Thanks.

I've been working on this for a looooong tiiiiime and I'm just tired of hearing it but parts make me believe it's got potential to be the best track I've ever done. I think the arrangement is totally f**ked though. Anyway...

Archetypical
http://www.3amnoise.net/archetypical_tirdtry.mp3
Stems ~250MB 72BPM

Does anyone wanna help me do this thing justice? I'm bouncing the stems ATM, so anyone who wants to give it a shot can be my guest. If you have input, I'd love to hear it. Keep in mind that there is about an hour worth of unused material; drums, guitar parts, synth lines, etc. So some of the more repetitive parts are kinda like place holders.

P.S. To my friends that I've left stranded... as you know, the last twelve months have been hell for me but I kept telling myself that "as long as I'm busy with projects, I'll be able to keep it together". Well, it turns out I couldn't live up to my promises and what's worse, I don't have the balls to be up front about it. I take this kind of thing very seriously (perhaps too seriously) and so it hurts to think that the only thing I can offer is an apology.

Thanks for listening. :)
Last edited by justin3am on Mon May 17, 2010 4:53 am, edited 4 times in total.

had a listen..can't comment regarding a mix or anything, but hey - i dig it

The title is misspelled, dude.

This is cool. I'd take out the wobble bass, don't think it's needed here.

justin... it's great! Fits my way of thinking perfectly. "Real" analogue drums, guitars and lots of bleeps and blops. :) But, as shamann said, the wobble bass don't feel needed to my ears. Even though it's cool here in some way... but it might even distract a little too much from the rest of the intricate details in the track.

The rest is wonderful. Love the sounds. :)

Btw, it makes me think of a 'tormentingly beautiful' track by Autechre from their latest record Oversteps called "known1". :-)

yup, cool stuff?
My 2p re: arrangement:
It sounds like a lot of great things - so many that you put them all in and perhaps some passages that were stripped down an element or two might draw it out more?

And I like the wobble. :)
great stuff justin, & I'm sure everyone is rallying for your speedy recovery from the past year.
..what goes around comes around..

Man, at one point I had an arrangement that was just the drums and the wobble. I think it's the best part of the track. :(

:hihi: Not really, but I believe I successfully illustrated that the SH-2 does that well. :D

I can replace the wobble with the electric bass track that was originally there. I haven't tried that since adding the crunchy guitar parts.

Thanks for listening.

That is some white hot drums you have in there, J. Gawd, you have a skill for making mixes so clear I can mentally swim through them effortlessly. This is definitely a keeper. I wouldn't shy away from a shot at the stems, but I can tell you I definitely couldn't make this better. Wonderful work. The current flow feels pretty natural actually.
As for the 'stranded' part of your post, Justin, your friends never expected anything from you. Apology is accepted, but completely unnecessary. You have given me too much over the years already, I am actually in debt to you.
Just glad to know you're doing well and making badass music. :)
Last edited by Jazzyspoon on Sun May 09, 2010 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks Jason. :)

The real drums are the Superior Drummer Jazz kit with brushes. Programmed lovingly one hit at a time, thanks of noticing. :oops: The synth drums are from an MFB-503.

You fuckin' guys...

Here is the track sans wobble and yeah, I think it sounds a lot better already.

http://www.3amnoise.net/archtypical_nowobble.mp3

Very kewl. Love how the tempo slows, stops, then picks up again. How do you do that within a DAW?
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

Moe Shinola wrote:Very kewl. Love how the tempo slows, stops, then picks up again. How do you do that within a DAW?
It's all math. The drum pattern goes from 4/4 to 5in4 time, 6in4 time, half time and 9in4. Nothing in the daw changes, I just add more space between each drum hit and the rest of the instruments follow the drums. As long as you keep an idea of how the different timings relate to the grid over all, you get deceleration that stays related to the original time base.

Nice, I kind of do like the nonwobble version as it highlights the guitar more. You're also getting much stronger on guitar, J.

Stems are up...

http://www.3amnoise.net/archetypical_stems.zip -250MB 72BPM

I only included midi for the drums, everything else was sequenced live in Numerology or recorded as audio in Live.

Wow! Listen number 1... I need a cigarette.
Image Image

Return to “Music Cafe”