List your Hardware Wishlist.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Heres the list of stuff I am considering getting in the future.

Korg Monotron $85

Behringer Xenyx 2442FX 24 Input Analog Mixer W\USB $365.00

Akai APC40 - $425.00
Akai MPK 61 - $529.00

Jomox XBase888 - $1,499
Jomox Xbase999 - $1,895

KRK RP-8 G2 Monitors - $560.00

RME Fireface 400 $1,375.00

DSI Prophet 08 Rack Edition $1,700.00

Moog Voyager Rack Edition $2,600.00
Moog Guitar Model E1 $3,600.00
Moog MF All In One bundle #3 $957.00

Alesis Andromeda $3,000

Sherman Filterbank X2 Rack $1,240.00

Doepfer A100 Basic System 2 Portable $2,599.00

Cwejman S1 Mk2 $3,600.00

Synthesizers.com Portable-22 System $2,550.00

Pigtronix Philosophers Tone $169.00
Pigtronix Philosophers King
Pigtronix Ep2 Envelope Phaser $249.00
Pigtronix PolySaturator $169.00
Pigtronix Mothership $479.00
Pigtronix Aria $149.00
Pigtronix Echolution $469.00
Pigtronix Disnortion $220.00

Mars Harmonic Tube overdrive\Distortion $104.95
Mars Heated Tube Distortion $
Mars Traitorous Tube Overdrive\Distortion $99.95
Mars Twintube Overdrive\Distortion $139.95

MFB Kraftzwerg $799.00

Metasonix KV-100 $899.00
Metasonix D-1000 $1,350
Metasonix R-51 $325.00
Metasonix R-52 $325.00
Metasonix R-53 $325.00
Metasonix R-54 $325.00

Future-Retro XS $1299.00
Future-Retro Revolution $750.00

I've been saving (quite successfully) so that I can blow my whole music budget for the year all at one time. I'm torn between two pretty sick pieces of gear...

Serge Blue fun Station: ~$11,000

or a Buchla 200e system 1: ~$11,000

An Eventide H8000FW and Kyma Pacarana are also in my future, but I'm happy enough now with Reaktor and Max/MSP that they can wait for a year or so. :cry: :help:

I'm 18, and currently studying in college. This is my draft on my future music related spendings.

In 3 months:
1.- E-MU 0202 USB2 --> $110
2.- Shure PG58 --> $75

In 1,5 years:
3.- Stuff for my ol' cheap acoustic guitar --> $75
4.- Sony TA series Stereo Amp --> $150-$200
5.- Speaker restauration (new MNC speakers, rewiring and refurnishing) --> <$150
6.- Akai LPD8 $70

In 3 years:
7.- Epiphone SG Special II and it's stuff; or a cheap PBass replica --> $300
8.- Alesis Monitor One mkII --> $210
9.- Hohner Harmonica --> $40

In 6 years:
10.- Either the cheap Pbass replica or the Epiphone guitar. --> $300
By 2016 I'd like to play both electric guitar and bass besides acoustic.

That's roughly $1500, all I want to spend on music stuff ever. If I'm lucky, then I will be able to purchase many of these stuff second hand, in perfect condition. These are all I'm going to need till I grow old and die alone. Besides a new PC, but that's gonna cost about max $500.

I wouldn't buy any hardware synth cause when I'd have my money to do so, all hardware would be surpassed by softwares using hardcore midi controllers.

Spending that much money on new gear is nuts IMO. Even worse, much of this new stuff is inferior to relatively inexpensive older gear.
I've got lot's of good gear, and most of it I either bought used for a fraction of the retail price or build myself. When I was starting out roughly 15 years ago I scoffed at the used market and bought the expensive new offerings whenever I could afford it. Not a single piece of that gear is still in my studio.
Do the hard work and find out a) what gear can be had much cheaper 2nd hand and b) what pieces of gear the pros actually use all the time and keep. You can even make money by buying things at a bargain price when you find them and latter on sell them for a profit (after using it).

rectus_dominus wrote:
I wouldn't buy any hardware synth cause when I'd have my money to do so, all hardware would be surpassed by softwares using hardcore midi controllers.
Not anytime soon, I think. In 10-20 years maybe, but right now rendering a second of audio of a simple synth realisticly (at component level) takes about 10 minutes.

living sounds wrote:Spending that much money on new gear is nuts IMO.
Opinions are like ass holes, everyone has one and they all stink. :P

Find me a used Buchla system that sells for less than a new one, please. Or a Serge for that matter.

Kurzweil PC3 (focus)
Fig Newton: The force required to accelerate a fig 39.37 inches per sec.

living sounds wrote:Spending that much money on new gear is nuts IMO. Even worse, much of this new stuff is inferior to relatively inexpensive older gear.
I've got lot's of good gear, and most of it I either bought used for a fraction of the retail price or build myself. When I was starting out roughly 15 years ago I scoffed at the used market and bought the expensive new offerings whenever I could afford it. Not a single piece of that gear is still in my studio.
Do the hard work and find out a) what gear can be had much cheaper 2nd hand and b) what pieces of gear the pros actually use all the time and keep. You can even make money by buying things at a bargain price when you find them and latter on sell them for a profit (after using it).
I like to be a bottom feeder too. Sure, I'd like a Studio Electronics CODE or maybe an Andromeda, but I'd feel bad spending that much. I'm good with my used $500 ATC-1 and used $800 Prophet '08 rack. Too much of the old stuff I covet seems to be very expensive and what I have satisfies me at the moment. I accidentally clicked on the wrong track yesterday and started playing. I thought I had clicked on my ATC-1 track, but I'd clicked on ACE. I was jamming away thinking, "this thing sounds amazing" and then I realized what I had done. :oops:

Love the one you're with.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

While I'm at it... I'm selling my mono evolver and putting the money to either a PER or a Blofeld... maybe a Future Retro Revolution. Other than that I think I'm satisfied with my little family of synths....
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

justin3am wrote:
Opinions are like ass holes, everyone has one and they all stink. :P

Find me a used Buchla system that sells for less than a new one, please. Or a Serge for that matter.
I would have been happy to get this advice I gave many years ago. I wasn't talking about the Buchla, but rather about the long lists of recent gear.
The Buchla is fine if you're either a very sucessful professional composer who needs this piece for specific sounds and has real use for it - or if you happen to have a (very) well-paying dayjob and consider this a hobby like collecting cars.
But if you're a struggling musician the money can be better invested in several pieces of gear that cost a lot less and have much wider ranging applications IMO.

zerocrossing wrote:While I'm at it... I'm selling my mono evolver and putting the money to either a PER or a Blofeld... maybe a Future Retro Revolution. Other than that I think I'm satisfied with my little family of synths....
What's a PER? As for the Blofeld - have you considered a Microwave1? That's one piece of gear I often considered selling but always ended up keeping because of the great, unique sound it brings to the table.

living sounds wrote:
rectus_dominus wrote:
Not anytime soon, I think. In 10-20 years maybe, but right now rendering a second of audio of a simple synth realisticly (at component level) takes about 10 minutes.
My guess is 5 years. Look how far we've come in such a short time? I admit it's not perfect, but emulations like Sawer are sure getting close.
Last edited by zerocrossing on Wed May 26, 2010 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zerocrossing Media

Even worse, much of this new stuff is inferior to relatively inexpensive older gear.
speaking about build quality you may be right, but new stuff isnt really that bad, as long as you are not buying the cheapest stuff available.

soundwise its really subjective and personally i generally even prefer my favorite VAs over most analog synths - of course some (of the old) analogs can sound "better" for some stuff, but same is true for digital or new stuff and everyone has to find his personal favorites

and i dont agree with the pov that it still needs time until VAs sound "as good" as analog synths. who needs exact emulations anyways, if its good sounding in its own right. otherwise even the best samplers/romplers in the world would be obsolete , because - oh noes - some people can actually hear that it is not a real orchestra or a band- but who cares if the music is sounding good in its own right (and of course its pretty possible that the "fake sampler" music does even sound "better" to many (note: not more real) than if it was played on real acoustic gear, as long as you are not constantly thinking: hey, a true piano would not behave like that so this music sucks)
Last edited by Lossl on Tue May 25, 2010 10:36 pm, edited 7 times in total.

living sounds wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:While I'm at it... I'm selling my mono evolver and putting the money to either a PER or a Blofeld... maybe a Future Retro Revolution. Other than that I think I'm satisfied with my little family of synths....
What's a PER? As for the Blofeld - have you considered a Microwave1? That's one piece of gear I often considered selling but always ended up keeping because of the great, unique sound it brings to the table.
P.E.R.= poly evolver rack. I have actually thought about a Microwave XT...
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote:I have actually thought about a Microwave XT...
:uhuhuh: Living Sound will not approve! xt is based on the Microwave II! Totally inferior DSP. :hihi:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”