70s prog-rock + synth pop

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here's a quick 7 hour experiment:

70s progressive rock combined with synth pop:
B Sides

All feedback is welcome :)

I quite like it... but I think the percussion is a little too mechanical.

If the drums had a bit more variation both in pattern and groove I think it would work better but I know that's easier said than done.

Plus... if it's prog-rock shouldn't it be at least 12 minutes long :wink:

Yeah I agree the percussion could need a bit more work.
Plus... if it's prog-rock shouldn't it be at least 12 minutes long ;)
Well that's where the "pop" part comes into play :lol: It's quite a short track.

I like the guitar line in the beginning a lot. Very 70s indeed. And yeah, do your track some justice and work on the drums a bit more. Make it a killer track.

This ones simply a matter of the drums and perc, go with acoustic drums instead of electronic,and create alot more variations in the drum parts,love the music,attitude is right there for what your going for,just needs a drummer with some 70's progressive rock skills

I appreciate this as is with regard to the drums. To me the addition of drum rolls and flams or whatnot on a flappy accoustic kit would take it all the way back to the seventies (not a bad thing for some). Tight is right in this case as everything kind of plods along (again a good thing). Your "organ" noodling, while looser than other elements was nice n enjoyable. Interesting blend of catchy and odd. In other words I like it.
Reverbnation
see ya 'round...

That guitar hook is great, very 70s in both sound and attitude. Have to agree with others. The drums are "synth pop" to the point of distraction. Also would have preferred to hear a nice thick Hammond for the organ parts. The transistor sound you use is pretty cheesy. Still, a very enjoyable listen.

If you ever want to change the drums, I've got a V-drums kit, Ocean Way Drums, and a passion for this kind of stuff. :D

Thanks for sharing.

Steve
Windows 10, Reaper

Nice comments. Thanks! :)

Judging from all the feedback, it might finally be time for me to get that Steven Slate Drums 8)

It's good - I like it. I thought the drums were intended to sound like a drum machine - I like that. The arrangement had a nice build, and came down nicely with well placed breaks. The only thing that "pulled me out of the moment" was the guitar: badly recorded and uneven playing.

This is quite nice though altogether.

warza wrote:It's good - I like it. I thought the drums were intended to sound like a drum machine - I like that. The arrangement had a nice build, and came down nicely with well placed breaks.

This is quite nice though altogether.
Same. Steven Wilson did some very creative stuff with just with a drum machine on some of the early Porcupine Tree tapes and the "Up The Downstair" album, which was more of a solo concept before there was an actual backing band with a real drummer and real drums. Their earlier stuff is kind of quirky cheesy psychedelic prog, but I still like listening to it for some inspiration of what simple tools can accomplish, or what you can do when you have a limited set.

Is that the new free ComboV organ vsti? I was just playing with that today and running it through some distortion/amp sims and phaser/chorus/leslie effects to try and dirty it up a bit and make it sound like a hammond. I used a compressor first in chain to emphasize and keep the percussive click, but then the decay and effects kick in and it resembles a hammond.

I like it! The guitar and organ parts reminded of the Stranglers rather than prog - still I enjoyed it very much.

warza wrote:The only thing that "pulled me out of the moment" was the guitar: badly recorded and uneven playing.
I'm glad that someone noticed :-D I can't play guitar at all. I recorded it in 60% speed into logic audio, edited it quite a lot and that's what I came out with :lol: It sounds ALMOST like I've atleast seen a guitar at some point in my life :)

metalifuxx wrote:Is that the new free ComboV organ vsti?
The organ used what Native Instruments B4 II.

Return to “Music Cafe”